“Very disapointing, uninformative tour”

The Constitutional Walking Tour of Philadelphia
and up
Haunted Philadelphia: Spirits of '76 Ghost Tour
Ranked #16 of 76 Tours in Philadelphia
More attraction details
Owner description: Philly is best seen by foot, and as such, The Constitutional Walking Tour is the best way to experience America’s Birthplace! See more than 20 of Historic Philadelphia’s top sites on a 75 minute outdoor walking adventure through Independence National Historical Park including the Liberty Bell, Independence Hall, Declaration House, Betsy Ross House, etc. Tours depart from outside the National Constitution Center at 525 Arch St. from April through November.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access
Melbourne, Australia
36 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“Very disapointing, uninformative tour”
Reviewed May 19, 2011

We chose this tour because of the great reviews and were hugely disapointed. We joined a group of other three tourists, so there were only five of us in total. The guide told us close to nothing about the history of the USA, and only pointed at certain places of interest and told us the names of people that lived or worked there. We went from one house to another in total silence. Yet when we walked into the Christ Church, we were enchanted by another tour guide telling stories to her group. Unfortunately, our guide rushed us along. It is either a poor script or a poorly trained guide, because there is no luck of history there.
Although listed in the tour description in TripAdvisor, the visit to Independence Hall was not included. Just as well, as we had an excellent guide there on a later (free) tour.
Our advice - look for a better tour company as the history of the place is fascinating.

Visited May 2011
9 Thank Traveller_from_Oz_x

Florida
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 84 helpful votes
“If you only have time for one thing...”
Reviewed May 8, 2011

...do this. What a wonderful experience this was. Our tour guide, as I often find with this type attraction, was a young woman working in theater. She knew her script and added information she has learned in the 2 years she has ben doing this tour to give us a pleasurable and informative tour. I almost did not go as I had stayed out late the night before and coupled with our 3 hour drive and an hour spent at Morris Arboretum (also worthvisiting, see the review) I told my son and husband I thought I needed a nap instead. I then decided that walking and sightseeing were actually going to be better and am very glad I did. The pace was perfect. We didn't amble along but walked nicely and were able to stop and briefly explore each site we saw. We planned to go back the next day and visit some of the sites we saw but there was a woman and her college bound daughter who only had this time and were very satisfied as well. Wear comfortable shoes and carry only what you have to. The tour goes rain or shine so if it looks like rain, dress appropriately and take an umbrella. And take a camera. Use the bathroom before you leave although there will be a stop along the way.

Visited April 2011
5 Thank cruciangirl
usa1776Philadelphia, Owner at The Constitutional Walking Tour of Philadelphia, responded to this review, June 28, 2011
Thanks for your review. I am glad you found the tour worthwhile. We often tell people if you only have a little time to see the historic sites, our tour is a great way to see a lot in a little bit of time!
Lake Worth Florida
35 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 69 helpful votes
“History in 2 hours”
Reviewed February 16, 2011

After my husband read the history of John Adams and I needed to visit my family, we went to Philadelphia and walked from our hotel to Constitutional Square for a very interesting and informative Constitutional walking tour. I've been to Philadelphia many times but this walk encompasses everything from John Adams to Betsy Ross to Thomas Jefferson to George Washington. It was a live history course as we heard the history and saw the actual homes and places where Jefferson wrote the Declaration of Independence. The walk of fame with all the signers of the Declaration of Independence with their occupations was very enjoyable. If you love history, this is the tour for you.

Visited October 2010
2 Thank dchalhoub
Gladwyne, Pennsylvania
“Education mixed with fun”
Reviewed August 25, 2010

A great way to get to know Philadelphia and its history through a fun walking tour.