“Great fun - an adventure of it's own kind!”
Review of DeTours Urban Excursions - CLOSED

DeTours Urban Excursions
Type: City Tours, Tours
More attraction details
Owner description: Best Segway Tours of Philadelphia
Cranberry
32 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 44 helpful votes
“Great fun - an adventure of it's own kind!”
Reviewed October 27, 2013

My husband and I were very glad we chose to do this one-of-a-kind 3 hour tour. We'd never been to Philadelphia or ridden a Segway before. We had a great tour of the city - the kind that let us see all it has to offer from a drive-by perspective. Our tour guide, Mike, was very knowledgeable and personable. It took me about 15 minutes to get my bearings on the Segway but it was very easy to use. Although our guide did a great job of waiting on lights to turn and keeping everyone together, we were literally riding not only on sidewalks with lots of pedestrians, but also bike routes and on the streets with regular traffic. I don't think I'd take our daughter on an activity like this until she was closer to 16. A few times we had to run red lights to make it with our group and a little girl ran out in front of me with no warning on the sidewalk. I don't think a child could think fast enough to maneuver in situations like those. We stopped at a little café to get some hot chocolate (it was cold outside) and had an opportunity to use a restroom. We were extremely pleased with our entire tour and would do another tour here the next time we go to Philadelphia - we think we'll try the cheesesteak tour next!

1 Thank JCStover

Scottsdale, Arizona
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“The 3 hour Orange Tour with Mike!”
Reviewed October 26, 2013

Mike, Mike, Mike! Take the tour with Mike! He is fun, knowledgable, and was very alert to everyone's needs on the tour! He took the time to answer all questions with much more than book knowledge. He was born and raised in Philadelphia; he knew the entire area! He spoke with such enthusiasm for the for all things Philly! Again, a fabulous day on the three hour tour with Mike!

1 Thank scottsdaleshirl
Atlanta, Georgia
5 attraction reviews
“A great time!”
Reviewed October 25, 2013 via mobile

Just took the Philly Cheesesteak Segway tour today, and it was a blast! A perfect blend of fun and delicious. Mike was an awesome tour guide. I would definitely recommend this for anyone looking for a great way to try a taste of Philly.

1 Thank travelin_Beaus
Haddonfield, NJ
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Segway tour of Philadelphia”
Reviewed October 19, 2013

The tour was unique and fun, but I didn't feel totally safe. Part of the time we were weaving in and out of pedestrians on crowded sidewalks, the rest of the time we were on the city streets at rush hour. Our guide was frequently texting while operating his Segway and it was getting dark towards the end of our tour (I understand that they will stop the later tour soon for this reason). I would recommend taking the tour earlier in the day when there is less traffic and more visibility. You will not learn a lot about Philly history, but it's a different way to see the city and an opportunity to try the Segway mode of transportation.

1 Thank Uglycouple
Port Jefferson, New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great fun, short on historical details”
Reviewed October 14, 2013

First off, I must say that the instruction, safety tips and ride itself were great. I did it with my two sons, ages 17 and 11 and they both enjoyed the ride immensely. The only area I see for improvement was the pretty minor amount of information he provided during the tour. (I forgot his name). I lived in Philly for a few years and most of the questions I asked remained unanswered with an "I don't really know about that" as the answer. When I asked him about the famous restaurant " bookbinders", he said that he had never heard of it. Maybe I am crazy, but I thought that Bookbinders was extremely famous in its day. There was not much historical information provided. But, having said all that, we loved the segways, we had a blast riding thru the streets of Philly, ESP thru the "coming out" festival. There were spots that were dicey, but all three of us were comfortable on the Segway and were sad to see it end. The only improvement I could recommend is providing a bit more historical information about the city. Otherwise, great time!