“Enjoyable time, but not worth full price.”
Review of Philadelphia Chocolate Tours - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Philadelphia Chocolate Tours
More attraction details
Owner description: We provide public and private guided walking and tasting tours of unique Philadelphia chocolate shops and cafes. Savor America's favorite flavor while walking off the calories!
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 53 helpful votes
“Enjoyable time, but not worth full price.”
Reviewed April 28, 2013

I want to say first, I ENJOYED the tour a great deal. It was a fun time and enjoyable to taste the chocolates. Our tour guide, Dawn was great! She was fun, she knew the information, she was personable, she definitely was a huge part of why the tour was so great. Our tour included 4th Street Cookies, Pennsylvania General Store, Marie Blaine, Teuchers and Capogiro for Gelato. However, like many others, I snagged this tour from a Living Social deal, so it was half price. I didn't mind taking a fun Sunday tour of the city with some chocolate tasting. The size of the samples weren't the biggest (with the exception of 4th Street Cookie), but I also didn't expect to get a huge chunk at every spot. I had realistic expectations for the tour. It's also important to note that most of the stops gave you a discount if you bought something, and they weren't the most expensive pieces of chocolate, you can certainly indulge in anything you want.

Visited April 2013
Jaylene C, Marketing Coordinator at Philadelphia Chocolate Tours, responded to this review, October 7, 2013
Hello! I am glad that you enjoyed your tour! “Keep eating chocolate!” ~Jaylene

Oreland, PA
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Philly Chocolate Tour needs to take a page from NY Food tour!”
Reviewed March 26, 2013

We got this deal through Living Social for half price like so many of the other reviewers. I don't think this tour was worth even half of that. Not due to the tour guide, but the retailers represented on the tour (other than 4th Street Cookie Company) gave such minute samples of their products it was embarassing. I did a food tour in Greenwich Village. Yes, I paid $49 (A little more then this tour at regular price) I got fed so much I didn't need to eat dinner! The establishments represented on the Philly Chocolate Tour need to show some more of that Brotherly love when handing out their samples.

Visited March 2013
Hello! I am so sorry you did not enjoy your chocolate tour! We have experimented with the number of stores on our tour and the amount of samples and have created a tour that provides a satisfying amount of chocolate for most of our customers, some even saying they have had a bit too much chocolate by the end! Thank you for sharing your thoughts! ~Jaylene
Coatesville, PA
3 attraction reviews
“Great way to spend a couple of hours doing something different!”
Reviewed March 22, 2013

My husband and I got our tickets for the tour through LivingSocial. I don't think we would have thought to look for something like this otherwise. First, the weather was pretty cold and rainy, but our tourguide Laura was FANTASTIC!!!! She made each of us feel like her new best friend and was so knowledgeable about the city and its chocolate history. I do agree with other folks who have reviewed: for the price of the tour, the amount of chocolate offered for consumption as part of the tour was on the small side. That was disappointing but did not take away from how much fun we had on the tour. And the chocolate that we did taste was VERY good. I would definitely recommend this tour as something to do if you've never done something like this before. Had a great time!

Visited March 2013
Hello! I am glad to hear that you and your husband had a great time with Choc Star Laura! It’s always great when chocolate can bring a bit of sunshine to a cold and rainy day! Thanks for sharing your thoughts! ~Jaylene
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“For chocolate being sooo good, this was sooo disappointing”
Reviewed February 18, 2013

I bought two Livingsocial vouchers for $20/pc (I think the regular ticket price is $40) for my wife and I to do this tour. We have been on other Philly tours, so we had an expectation of what this would be like. Unfortunately, it ended up being the WORST tour we've been on. Basically, we paid $40 for each of us to have a chocolate chip cookie, a "sample" of bark, a broken piece of white chocolate, a champagne truffle (which was the highlight of the trip), and 4 small tastings of gellato; to me, this was hardly worth $40.00, and DEFINITELY not worth $80.00. On top of this, the tour guide was "in-training" and provided an awful experience. The tour guide told us from the start that she was "in-training," but we did not expect the tour guide to READ from the tour script the ENTIRE time. The tour guide didn't even ad-lib parts of the tour that could have been from personal experience. For example, the tour guide READ the introduction and barely looked up from her script, she would use the SAME exclamations in the script, such as "Hmmmm, I'd lick the whole chocolate pot clean if it were me," and she even READ the closing statements. More so, it felt as if we were all children being read to during story time. The lack of personality from the tour guide made for a cringe-worthy and awkward experience. Truly, what saved the entire experience from being a disaster was the introduction of Teuscher's shop and their DELICIOUS chocolates. I've had to let other people who have vouchers for this tour to request that their tour guide NOT be in training. It ALMOST felt as though because we paid half-price for the tour, we got half-priced service. Needless to say, my wife and I were very disappointed. We could have been given the information ourselves to read if someone was just going to read to us, or we could have gone online to find out about chocolate production and history. The "tour" part of this was non-existent and therefore,hardly worth the 2.5 hours we could have been doing something else. We had high hopes for this experience and walked away from this frustrated and disgruntled with our experience. Honestly, I would not pay for this experience at full price and would definitely not be happy if your experience was anything like ours.

Visited February 2013
Hello! I am terribly sorry that you did not enjoy your chocolate tour. Our mission is Uplift Through Chocolate and I feel horrible that you did not feel uplifted. Please email us directly at info@philadelphiachocolatetours.com. I would like to provide you with two gift certificates for a future tour so that you may experience the tour as it should be experienced! I look forward to hearing from you. ~Jaylene
Souderton, Pennsylvania
“A great way to spend an afternoon in Philly and Great Chocolate!”
Reviewed January 20, 2013 via mobile

We bought our tickets from living social so the price was def worth it. When we arrived to start the tour, we were the only ones booked for the day so we got a personal tour! The tour started in the Reading Terminal Market where we got to sample a cookie, chocolate covered pretzels and Wilbur buds. Then we walked to Verde where we had some chocolate bark from Marcie Blaine. Next we had gelato and finished the tour with a brownie. The tour guide was energetic and knowledgable. Overall it was a fun afternoon. Def something different to do in the city!

Hello! I am so happy you were able to spend a fun afternoon eating chocolate with us! Thank you for sharing your thoughts! ~Jaylene