“Great way to spend an afternoon in Philly.”
Review of Philadelphia Chocolate Tours - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Philadelphia Chocolate Tours
More attraction details
Owner description: We provide public and private guided walking and tasting tours of unique Philadelphia chocolate shops and cafes. Savor America's favorite flavor while walking off the calories!
Lawrenceville, New Jersey
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Great way to spend an afternoon in Philly.”
Reviewed October 21, 2012

Had a very sweet tour guide named Jess who was a student at Temple. Very knowledgeable and very polite. We took in 5 chocolate shops and had delicious samples at each one. Also had an opportunity to shop a little at each and were offered a 10 percent discount. A very nice 2-3 hour experience. Walking required!

Visited October 2012
Jaylene C, Marketing Coordinator at Philadelphia Chocolate Tours, responded to this review, October 9, 2013
Hello! Thank you for spending the day eating chocolate with us! We appreciate you sharing your feedback! ~Jaylene

14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“Not Impressive”
Reviewed September 2, 2012

I'm very, very glad that we had 50% off for this tour since I would never pay the full price for it. While our guide was enthusiastic, the actual tour itself was not too impressive. We started off by introducing ourselves, which is fine, but then the guide basically pitched the tour to us all over again. We had to look at a binder of their press clippings and reviews - I'm already on the tour, I don't need to see that.
I've been on many food tours in many cities, and I always find it's a great way to learn more about the food, but also the actual city. We really heard nothing about Philadelphia at all, which was so disappointing.
We tried a chocolate hummus at a farmers market but I was surprised there was nothing "different" as in the more exotic. I thought maybe a gourmet hot chocolate or something with chocolate that's surprising but nothing happened with that.
I also was really turned off when our guide let us know she accepts tips and can sell us gift certificates.
Basically, the tour has potential, but the self marketing within the tour was just too much.

Visited August 2012
1 Thank Karabee83
Hello! In the past, customers have asked us questions about how our tours began and who started them so we began including this information in our introduction. We also value historical facts about the city in which we are sampling all of the delicious chocolate, which is why we include facts about Reading Terminal Market, Milton Hershey, chocolate production in Pennsylvania, City Hall, and more! Previously we have had many of our customers ask our guides, or Choc Stars as well call them, if they were allowed to give them tips (some companies do not allow this!) so we make sure to include that bit of information so that our customers feel comfortable whether they decide to give a tip or not. We have also found that some of our guests enjoy the tour so much that they immediately want to share the experience with their friends, thus we have our guides carry gift certificates as a convenience for our customers. Thank you for sharing your thoughts! We always appreciate feedback! ~Jaylene
Erial, New Jersey
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Not worth the time or money”
Reviewed August 31, 2012

After already going on a chocolate tour in San Francisco, which was fantastic, I tried to stay neutral when going on the Philly tour, and since they were so opposite, it was very easy. The tour lasted only one hour (versus the 2 1/2 hour SF tour) and the places on the tour were of considerably lower quality than what I was hoping for. I don't consider cookies and gelato chocolate. It was a chocolate tour and when you consider the cookie to be the best taste in the tour, that's a problem. The samples that were given out were of the lowest quality chocolate there was. They showed us the higher quality stuff that was available for sale, but the only samples we were given was the lower quality chocolate. We were taken to a total of 5 places and the amount of samples given was very disappointing. Two positives were 1)Melissa, our guide was adorable and tried her best to teach us fun facts about chocolate and 2) we purchased our tour on living social so it was only $20, and that was only barely worth that price. My advice is to take the money you saved, buy your own delicious chocolate and walk around Philly yourself.

Visited August 2012
1 Thank Ellen S
Hello! I am sorry to hear you felt you weren’t getting high quality chocolate at every stop. We are an artisan chocolate tasting tour so all of our samples are made with high quality chocolate, whether you are sampling the rich, Wilbur Bud at Pennsylvania General Store, or the Fleur de Sel bark at Marcie Blaine Artisanal Chocolates. We value chocolate made with only the finest ingredients and that is what we present to our customers! Thank you for sharing your feedback! ~Jaylene
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“You can't go wrong with chocolate!”
Reviewed April 26, 2012

I have taken this tour 3 times now, and it's a really enjoyable experience. The tour guides are very theatrical and enthusiastic (and share the same script, fyi). My biggest disappointment was at Teuscher, which is in a hotel along the tour route. They talk up their champagne truffles, which "account for 70% of their sales," and on all three of my tours, they had "run out" of the sample size of the truffle, so they give a different item for us to taste, and then sold regular size truffles to almost everyone, because they all wanted to try it after it was talked up so much. I don't think that's right - it feels like a big scam, and it didn't sit well with me. But the other places we went to (some were the same on all 3 tours, some were different) gave generous samples and were very friendly. It's not the most historic tour, but it's definitely something different and very fun!!

Visited April 2012
2 Thank Elwayeye
Hello! Thank you so much for taking our tour three times! We love repeat customers and truly appreciate your business! I am so sorry you were not able to experience the champagne truffle at all three of your tours. It is rare that the champagne truffle is not sampled so I am very sorry that it happened that your tour group had to experience those few times! Since Teuscher flies their chocolate in weekly from Switzerland it is not always guaranteed that there will be champagne truffles available, whether in sample or full size. The next time you take a Center City/Rittenhouse tour please mention this to us and we will do our best to ensure Teuscher has the champagne truffles!
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Excellent tour guide, but too light on the Chocolate!!”
Reviewed January 6, 2012

I really wanted to love this tour as we have a lot of guests to Philly who ask what the 'must dos' are, and this would have been a great thing to add to the list.

I did think our guide was great, fun and friendly and we definitely learned more about chocolate than we knew when we arrived.

In the interest of full disclosure I should say that we went with a Groupon Coupon so we paid half price. Maybe we got the 'you paid half price' samples?
It was fine for $20 - at $40 (plus tip) I would have been seriously put out at the lack of chocolate!

In my head this tour had us walking around Philadelphia, sampling lots of samples from different places. The reality was that we visited only 5 places and 3 of them were within the Reading Terminal Market so by the time we left the market we were more than half done. : (
I also think that the 'tour' is way more of an opportunity for shopping than it is a tour. I think they expect the majority of the tour time to be taken up by shopping. Ie; sample 1 tiny piece of chocolate, spend 15 minutes buying more. This was disappointing.

The place we went were they made the chocolate on site was probably the most disapointing. It's a gift shop with a chocolateier at the back where they make truffles. We were excited to sample one, but instead got offered a plate of what looked like floor sweepings all on one plate.. The kind of plate tat you wonder how long it's been there and how many people's fingers have been in it. I guess the idea is that you then buy the truffles. Well we probably would have bought some of those.... had we been able to try them, but one tiny piece of broken chocolate bark doesn't reall cut it and neither of us were inspired to shell out for something we hadn't been able to sample.

For us the redeeming stop was the gelato store which was the final stop and the only place that was reasonably generous with the samples. If it hadn't of been for that, we would not have felt we even got our discount tour's worth. At $40 / each (plus tip) I would have been very disappointed.

Perhaps we're just a couple of gluttons, but the samples really were quite miserly and even the (small) piece of cookie we had at stop number one was meant to be fresh from the oven and warm.... and clearly was neither of those thing.

Ach, it was an ok way to spend some time. I'd give it a 5.5 out of 10 because the guide was nice. At $40 a head I'd give it a 3 out of 10.

Finally our tour lasted an hour if that because we didn't shop. I think it's meant to last closer to 2 with all the cookies and chocolates you're meant to buy to make up for the lack of samples! ; )

Visited January 2012
5 Thank hobokenkitchen
Hello! I’m so glad you enjoyed your tourguide, or Choc Star as we call our guides! There are indeed so many amazing artisans in Reading Terminal Market, which is why we have started offering tours that visit only Reading Terminal Market shops. I am sorry you were disappointed that three of the shops were inside of the market. Our Saturday morning tours have fewer RTM stops if you are looking for more variety in terms of location! There are other tours where they don't let you make purchases so we made sure from the start that people who wanted to shop on our tours would always be able to do so. We certainly don't put an emphasis on shopping over tasting: tasting is built into the tour, and shopping is optional. I’m sorry you were not a fan of the bark at Marcie Blaine. Most customers usually rave about their samples. Their bark comes packaged in bundles of bark pieces so they open a fresh pack for our tour and place it on a plate exclusively for our customers to enjoy! The cookies are baked fresh for us - our Manager phones before the tour to let them know our headcount - so I'm concerned you may have been given the wrong batch, and we will look into this. I'm sorry you felt there wasn't enough chocolate! Many of our customers feel the tour has almost more chocolate than they can eat, since quality chocolate is so satisfying! This is of course subjective, and we have experimented with varying amounts of stores and chocolate to get what we feel is a great balance - again I apologize that you disagree! Thank you for sharing your thoughts! ~Jaylene