“Good food, loud, a bit overpriced”

Garces Trading Company
Reserve with OpenTable
Garces Trading Company is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #210 of 4,405 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Cuisines: European, Cafe
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Locust & Quince
Description: Garces Trading Company is a gourmet market/cafe with a European flair. Perfect for a quick in-and-out or a casual sit down meal. This multi-purpose space features a host of house made and imported foods under the Garces Trading Company label including olive oils and vinegars, charcuterie and Chef Garces’ signature coffee House Specialties Paella Valenciana, El Cubano Clásico, Charcuterie & Cheese, Coq au Vin, Carbonated cocktails, fresh fruit sangrias and an extensive European wine list.
Lakewood, WA
“Good food, loud, a bit overpriced”
Reviewed August 11, 2012

Garces was close to our hotel, so it was convenient and they have a wine shop where you can buy a bottle to drink with your meal. The restaurant has a lot of hard surfaces, so it is noisy. The wine shop only stocks European wines - I think that is a bit snobbish, but the man who was staffing the shop said it was to complement the menu (balderdash, sez I). We started our meal with a charcuterie of salami made on site - it was excellent, but for pity's sake $9 for a few slices of salami. We also had an amazing cheese (ossau iraty) but it was $7 for an ounce or so. We both had a lovely fusilli with guanciale (pigs' cheeks - really) prepared like a carbonara. The portions weren't over generous, but adequate for light eaters (we are). I think this is more a place to hob nob than anything. Just a word about Philadelphia - the streets are a mess, there are more people with tattoos and body piercings than I have ever seen anywhere, the streets are also dirty and there are a lot of places where I didn't feel quite safe. We've seen Independence Hall now and probably will never go back to Philadelphia.

Visited August 2012

London, United Kingdom
“Good Mediterranean food and wonderful cheeses.”
Reviewed August 5, 2012 via mobile

Very nice restaurant in Philadelphia, very central. We had a selection of cheese (3 types served with very nice jams and a nice Pappardelle Pasta. Dessert was a bit disappointing but defenetely thumbs up for this nice restaurant.

We spent 67 $ in two.

“Oh my! Much, much better than reviews indicate!”
Reviewed August 3, 2012 via mobile

Garces was just a block away from Alexander Inn where we stayed. What a surprise to find such a gem. We arrived late on a Thursday (9pm) to be seated right away. From the reviews I read I thought it was solely a BYOB with a liquor store next door. So it was nice to find that Garces had a liquor license and that the "liquor store" was actually a glass wall away from the restaurant and very much a part of the nice decor. So we didn't have to buy a bottle of wine ahead of time. The food and the ambiance was perfect for my husband & I to have a special evening together. We brought dessert home for our daughters. Wish we had saved room for some ourselves.

1 Thank amaryca
Cherry Hill, New Jersey
“Reusing the Bread Basket”
Reviewed August 1, 2012

It had to be my 10th visit to this restaurant, one where I thought the bread was worth the calories until this past Sunday. I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw server after server clear off tables and put the bread basket in a certain spot, only to be picked up and brought it to the front counter for refilling, nothing unusual until I noticed the baskets still had bread in them and were being refilled without the unused bread from the previous table being discarded. I watched with my own eyes as the person filling the baskets counted how many pieces were in the basket before refilling them... I will NEVER return to this restaurant and I will also advise others the same. I wonder what the kitchen is reusing behind closed doors??????????? SO SO Disgusting and disappointing.

Visited July 2012
Portland, Oregon
“Great Atmosphere, Creative Delicious Food”
Reviewed July 23, 2012

Just spent a lovely evening at GTC tonight - family dinner with our two boys. Called ahead for reservz, were seated right on time by our nice server. The roasted brussels sprouts and duck fat frites were excellent. Even my son raved about the sprouts. The deep dish pizza (which they are known for,) was not quite as awesome as the rest of the dinner, but solid. I think we are just more "American Pizza" lovers than their version of deep dish. They were doing a special on an heirloom tomato salad with roasted pumpkin seed dressing which was probably the best salad I've ever had. It was truly amazing - I could have just eaten that. Atmosphere was lively, great place to bring older kids.

• Visited July 2012