“This place is not nearly as bad as the reviews indicate!!”
Review of Penrose Hotel

Penrose Hotel
Ranked #75 of 86 Hotels in Philadelphia
Elmira, New York
“This place is not nearly as bad as the reviews indicate!!”
Reviewed December 6, 2010

OK, so its not a 5 star hotel. But for the price (we paid under $100/night) its a great deal. I booked it because the rate was right and because they offered free parking with an overnight stay plus breakfast and a shuttle to the airport. Since we were taking a 3+ week trip I asked them whether I could stay one night at each end of my trip and get free parking for the entire three weeks, and they said "yes". They were the only hotel I called that would agree to this so I booked it, although I had second thoughts due to the terrible reviews.

The place is obviously old and a bit run down. However its being fixed up. The lobby is actually quite nice and our first room was very nice as well. On our return trip the room was a little shabby, but all we wanted was a good nights' sleep and we got that. The elevators are old and have been redone with plywood walls. Pretty yucky, but they work. The halls and stairwells are dim and grubby, but not dirty.....although they do smell of cigarette smoke. The large roomy non smoking rooms we had were clean and did not smell. No hot dogs or condoms on the floors (!) and no bedbugs or roaches as mentioned in some of the reviews!!! The extra large rooms were great because we had a lot of luggage for our trip and needed to spread out and reorganize it. The mattresses are very firm......just as we like them. If you want a pillow top mattress stay somewhere else!

The staff was not particularly elegant and refined. just ordinary local folks. But they were all polite, helpful, and seemed eager to please and happy that we were there.

The continental breakfast was simple but it was fine for us and saved us the cost of breakfast.

An added bonus is that there is a 24 hour restaurant, The Penrose Diner, right across the street. It is big, bright and friendly, and has an extensive menu and good food. Its always busy (even at 4 AM when we went in after our trip because we had jet lag). The local police eat there all the time, so you knowits safe.

Our car was parked in the hotels' brightly lit parking lot for a little over 3 weeks and it was fine when we returned.

All in all I think this place is worth every penney we paid and I would recommend it if all you want is a place to spend the night in comfort and security.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JohnandJaneS

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
Los Angeles
Reviewed November 23, 2010

This hotel is filthy from top to bottom. The elevators don't work properly and the bathroom is dirty. My bed had several hairs in it. I slept in my clothes. There was nothing clean about this hotel.

Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends
3 Thank ckr123
San Jose, California
Reviewed November 20, 2010

Sent to this hell-hole by US Airways after they cancelled my flight from Philadelphia to San Francisco at 12.30am, following a 12 hour journey from Europe. Have NEVER seen anything like this place before and thought it only existed in a Slasher Movie !!! Opened the bedroom door and my boots immediately stuck to the carpet !! Air conditioner/heating unit had two cockroaches , who had been fried on it possibly several months before. The bed cover was just too suspect to even touch but pulled the cover off to reveal one sheet, no blanket and who knows what was living under the sheets !!! One lamp for light which I left on all night to deter any bugs etc., from coming out of the corners of the room during the night !! Had to put my suitcase on top of the chair so as not to place it on the filthy bed cover or the even dirtier carpet. Wallpaper peeling off the walls everywhere because of huge damp patches on the ceiling. Pure exhaustion made me sleep ( with all my clothes on ) in this disgusting place !! Ran out of there the minute I woke up and felt like my skin was crawling !!! Would NEVER, EVER recommend this place to anybody, EVER !!!!!!!! US Airways should be ashamed of themselves for sending their customers, who they inconvenience, to this dump !!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled solo
3 Thank loola2010
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
Reviewed November 12, 2010

After reading the reviews I didn't know what to expect - but I chose the hotel because of it's price and the proximity to the Wells Fargo Center (formely Wachovia Center). The hotel is definately dated - but for $86.00 total I didn't expect luxury. There was a big dead opossum in the parking lot when we arrived. Like the past reviews said the ice maker did not work & the 2nd elevator bank is very scary. One side of the tower offers great views - However, the view on our side was terrible. The room was spacious (two double beds, table, two chairs, TV set, dresser, ceiling to wall mirrors).

The staff was very friendly. They allowed us to check-in early at no additional fee. They recommended restaurants for us to try, etc. After the front desk staff told us that the hotel shuttle was only to bring guests to & from the airport - the manger stepped in on his own & went above-and-beyond by offering to take us to the restaurant - and then going one-step further by offering to pick us up later that evening after the concert - which was great because it was so late. My toothpaste was confiscated by TSA - which I forgot about until we got back to the hotel in the early A.M. hours - the front desk gave me two things of toothpaste & a new toothbrush at no charge (the Crowne Plaza I stayed at the week before charged for both)

I recommend this hotel due to it's proximity to all the stadiums - but I recommend it even more for the great service provided by it's dedicated staff. If you're looking for more than a place to crash - you probably wouldn't be happy here - but for $86.00 - it was worth it.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends
Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed October 21, 2010

This is the worst hotel!! Needs to be SHUT down by the department of health, the dont believe they even wash there sheets, bathrooms has horrible maintenance issues and no one anwsers the phones even if they are there. This hotel should NOT be in operation.. Just tear it DOWN

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
4 Thank ravan3
columbia,nj
Reviewed October 16, 2010

We stayed here because it is just blocks away from the Wachovia Center where we had concert tickets and the reviews were decent. It was also inexpensive. ( Across the street is a great and very popular diner, the Penrose Restaurant/ Diner.) The lobby is attractive at the hotel but the rooms left a lot to be desired as far as cleanliness. The first thing I checked was the bed...clean sheets but a dirty bedspread...and no blanket! So even though I stripped off the bedspread initially I ended up putting it back on the bed in the middle of the night because I had the air on low and it was cold with just a sheet. The bathroom was ok, not super, and the bed was comfortable. But the carpet and table tops were dirty and stained as was the chair. Overall, as long as the bed sheets were clean...and no bed bugs!... we were willing to stay. The options for rooms under $100 are apparently limited in the area and not knowing the city at all we went by the reviews. I guess it can be said you get what you pay for!!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
Poughkeepsie, New York
Reviewed September 19, 2010

My wife and I stayed for a night because I had to take an exam in the area. We picked this hotel because it was the best price we found for a place not far from the downtown exam site and it had everything we were looking for without additional charges: parking, internet, and breakfast. This was the good part. Oh, and I will say that most of the employees greeted me and were nice.

Now the bad part: yes, what all the other negative reviews say was confirmed when we got there. The comforter had multiple cigarette burns in our non-smoking room, the fitted sheet was not fitted, the room was dingy and not as clean as one would wish, our t.v. didn't have a remote and when we asked for one it didn't work, there was some goo and a public hair on the phone, the pool was void of water and cordoned off, etc.

This we could put up with for one night, but what really upset us was that someone kept calling our room, acting like an employee of the hotel (which we confirmed he wasn't) and trying to get us to leave our phone live and off the hook. Was he trying to hear us have sex or something? No idea, but when the front desk couldn't or wouldn't do anything about it, we had to disconnect the phone. That was pretty disconcerting.

So if you are looking for a hotel that is close to downtown and has free internet, parking, and breakfast, this is the place, but be ready for a shady experience.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business