New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

“Not pleased” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Penrose Hotel

Penrose Hotel
Ranked #71 of 86 Hotels in Philadelphia

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
Halifax
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2014

The staff at the hotel were very friendly and helpful, and free wifi was available. However, the hotel was very dirty, it is in a bad part of town, and the hotel is very old and in disrepair. The shower did not work and the elevators seemed on the brink of breaking down. Paint was pealing off the walls, and there was a terrible smell of mustiness in the room. There was a sign that said the hotel was undergoing renovations, but there was no evidence of anything being done. Would not stay here again, although the staff were really nice.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars
Review collected in partnership with Ramada

Glen G, Manager at Penrose Hotel, responded to this review, June 30, 2014
As noted we are in the process of renovating the property and are diligently working hard to make all the required changes to make our guests experience a positive one. The staff reviews each and everyone of our reviews which helps us pinpoint what area to address immediately. For instance, we have already scheduled for the elevator cabs to be renovated as well as all the hallways. We recently re-opened our sports bar and restaurant. We will also certainly share your positive comments about our staff. Hopefully if you change your mind and come back, John Cusack will not cross your mind!
Philadelphia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2014

We enjoyed our stay at the Ramada. The rating on service will be marked as "excellent" because of your evening clerk. She worked well with us both on the phone, and at check in. Her attitude made us feel so very welcome.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Glen G, Manager at Penrose Hotel, responded to this review, June 30, 2014
Thank you for your nice comments about our front desk agent. I will be sure to share your comment with all the desk agents. Thanks for taking the time to review our hotel and for staying with us.
HAWAII
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2014

Hard to believe they charge more than $50 a night for this worn out relic. Was twice that much and disapointing. Dated. Go elsewhere.Ramada really hasn't helped improve it since taking over. Walls and ceiling are dirty. Elevators are awful.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Glen G, Manager at Penrose Hotel, responded to this review, June 30, 2014
We are sorry you were not pleased with your stay. The management and ownership are dedicated to resolving all the issues the property has and as quickly as possible. We have contracted an elevator compqy to re-do our elevators which we realize are very dates and are in the process of re-doing all the hallways. The hotel is not brand new, but we are confident that we will be able to make the changes required to satisfy nearly all of our guests. Thank you for taking the time to review our property.
Glen Burnie, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

I found this hotel on Priceline and although I thought it was a good price, it turned out if I had called the hotel and booked it directly through them, I would have saved another $50. We recently stayed there for 3 nights. It is an old Hotel and used to be called something else. they put a sheet like sign over top ot the old sign so they haven't been there long enough to get a new sign but we found it. The Hotel is really old and has not been updated in years. The TV is old, the Phone was really old, (Push button at least, LOL) and you could just tell the whole place needs to be updated. On a good note, the room was quite big, the view from the 8th floor was really cool, and the people were nice. It is also pretty convenient to the sports arenas and Chickie's and Petes Restaurant. (Love their crab fries!) Free breakfast was promised but they are renovating the restaurant and bar so it was closed. They still had a continental breakfast but we went down to check it out and there was cereal, english muffins, a couple pastries and coffee. Possibly Juice or milk too, I can't remember. We took one look and decided to go across the street to the Diner on Penrose Ave. I highly reccommend that. The food there was very inexpensive and delicious! Traffic was not bad so it was easy to cross the street.

When I got home I looked at my bill and realized it was $50 cheaper than what Priceline said but when I called the hotel they said that's because of all the fees Priceline charges and that in non busy times, it's best to call the hotel. I will definitely remember this for the future. Then I was looking at my credit card and although Priceline already charged me and I already paid it, the hotel charged me again!! When I called they said Oh it's because they are new and their systems were not working correct but they would credit me back the $210. Do I want to stay there again?? Only if I'm feeling poor. At least we had a king size bed to sleep on (that was also very old) and a shower and a place to park our stuff. Nothing else I can say.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple