“If I HADN'T SEEN IT WITH MY OWN EYES, I WOULDN'T BELIEVE IT”
Review of Penrose Hotel

Penrose Hotel
Ranked #76 of 88 Hotels in Philadelphia
Reviewed April 30, 2014

Where do I start? If someone had told me that a hotel could have dirty towels, holes in the walls, mold in the bathroom and on the windowsills, leaky ceiling above bed, and the room wasn't vacuumed or bathroom cleaned -- and those problems were the least severe, I wouldn't believe it. But I saw it myself!
1. Blood one the floor in the bathroom from a prior guest (or worse)
2. An elevator that gets stuck but has no phone in the phone cabinet to call for help
3. Smoke detectors that are missing, or ones that have inspection dates dating back to the prior MILLENNIUM
4. Breakfast not open until the girl gets here to put the stuff out - regardless of when that is
5. Breakfast ends when the food runs out -- regardless of how quickly that happens
6. Room has no hot water
7. Coworker's room has only scalding hot water - whether sink or shower
8. Cleaning lady, when asked to clean the bathroom and provide fresh towels, proceeds to clean the inside of the toilet bowl (no gloves- barehanded) with a wash cloth, THEN the toilet seat, THEN the SINK, THEN the counter of the sink, and THEN the shower. I guess clean to dirty or dirty to clean isn't in the training manual.
9. Employees admit how shabby the place is, " cause some rooms get cleaned, others only when asked"
10. Drug tests are optional.
IS THERE A RATING LESS THAN 1 CIRCLE? THIS HOTEL IS THE REASON TRIPADVISOR SHOULD HAVE A RATING BELOW 1. WHY NOT ZERO?

1  Thank Donald S

Reviewed April 21, 2014

We could not check in at 4PM because nothing was cleaned and ready.
There was a 1 hour wait at check-in at midnight.

The rooms were filthy
The shower hardware was coming apart
One elevator wasnt working
The breakfast was abysmal
Neighborhood was bad.
Customer service was non-existent.
I found my bad I left at 4PM in an unlocked room

I stayed in soviet era hotels in Russia and Eastern Europe that made the experience and customer service here look good.

The stay here was equivalent in experience to sleeping in my car for the night.

DO NOT BOOK HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
THEY SHOULD BE SHUT DOWN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IT IS WORSE THAN THE REVIEWS, THERE IN NO VALUE HERE, LOOK ELSEWHERE.

1  Thank georgewweir
Reviewed April 16, 2014 via mobile

This place is awful. Booked a double room was given a single when asked for a roll away they said one would be brought to the room when we got back there was no rollaway went down to the desk to ask again and they said they did not have any elf even though we had asked hours prior. We then went on an adventure to find a bed and was brought to a storage floor that looked like a saw movie. Was then handed a bare twin mattress with no sheets and brought it to my room, that was what I slept on. Next day we went sight seeing and after 10 hours we got back and nothing was cleaned yet. We then checked out 2 days early and went to another hotel. Ever time a uber driver picked us up they were shocked we were staying there because they didn't realize they rented rooms by the day and they thought it was only a by the hour kind of place. I am now scared that I have lice or scabies after one night there. DO NOT STAY HERE!!!!

• Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank Alex F
Reviewed April 14, 2014

This is the worst hotel I have ever stayed in. Totally agree with previous reviews-wish I had read them before booking. All had difficulty checking in -many still didn't have rooms at midnight. The halls smelled and were dirty with construction materials lying around. 1 room door wouldn't close without a screwdriver. One elevator out of order and 2nd one out part of time. No restaurant or lounge. No frig or microwave. Bathrooms had missing sink handles and shower hard to turn on and regulate temp. Most rooms in our group were not clean or even vacuumed. Outlets not working and wires hanging from heaters. Has this place passed any inspections?
You could walk to sports, but it was a long walk -and only in good weather. Shuttle to airport ok, but not available for anywhere else.

Room Tip: We had 7 rooms in our group and all were bad. All other guests we talked to had the same type or wor...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 14, 2014

This hotel should not be on any website. We booked thru southwest.com expecting a moderatte hotel for 3 stars.
They had overbooked and we didn't know if we had rooms until midnight. Then the rooms were dirty and in need of many repairs. Electrical to plumbing to elevator service repair.There was suppose to be a bar, restaurant, microwave,fridge none of which were there.
We would definitely rate this as one of the three worst hotels we have ever stayed at and we have traveled alot.
Please take this hotel off booking sites until it has been totally renovated and checked out. Shame on Ramada for even renting these rooms out in there present conditions.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 14, 2014

My wife and I will be staying at this hotel in approximately two weeks April 27th through the 29th and the Philly area hotels seemed to be slim for the picking. After reading these negative comments and becoming worried I called and spoke to a very courteous gentleman named Steve. Steve assured us that we will be happy with our room as he will make sure he locates us on the newly renovated 14th floor. This hotel seems like a great deal for those who are on a budget and I really appreciate Steve's extra help with the reservation - Thanks!

Room Tip: Call ahead to ensure your comfy accommodations!! Talk o Steve
1  Thank Bizerk31701
Reviewed April 8, 2014

I stayed here months before what a (CHANGE) the lobby look like it hasn't been moped in months. I was checked out within half hours walk in a room on the 15 floor which I stay before it was suppose to be clean (not ) I was suppose to stay for 3 nights. After I checked the sheets just to find men's under wear in the middle of the bed the bed skirt have a hug whole in it where I found use condom I could have vomit right there, the rug look like it haven't been vacuumed or shampooed bathroom was dirty trash left in the can. Piled up trash in the hallways. I seen a housekeeper name( Chneatl) she's was very rude for someone who works with customers so ask her who's your supervisor she says I am! so I take her back in the room to show her the problems she just laugh so I ask her what was so funny no apology she say I know who did this room still laughing like it funny. So go's down to report her and the problems and checkout older African American lady just clueless as every she asking me what the problem and I told her several times I think she was drunk I ask for manager she tell me they all just left for the day how nice. Even if this place is the last resort DO NOTCHANCE IT like the last reviewer said.

I really believe that this location should be pulled from booking websites until Ramada can verify that the entire building has been renovated that means the cleaners and management.

Room Tip: Clean room
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business