Penrose Hotel
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Alexander Inn(Philadelphia)
The Rittenhouse Hotel(Philadelphia)
  • Pool
Warwick Hotel Rittenhouse Square(Philadelphia)
  • Pool
The Independent Hotel(Philadelphia)
  • Breakfast included
See what travelers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed October 31, 2013

I picked this place because I was on a budget. Refurbishment began while we were there but no advance warning. The rooms were quite grubby, my feet were blacker after walking around from the shower than they were before I got in. Other guests were drunk and shouting all night. The non smoking room stank of smoke. But it was perfectly located for Wells Fargo, transport to the city and a decent diner over the road

Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 25, 2013

Don't expect a 5 star hotel, but this place is decent for the price and location. The rooms were relatively clean. TV and furniture were up to date. No frills, but didn't expect too much. Location is a close walk to the Sports/Entertainment Complex. No complaints here

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank adschnei
Reviewed October 24, 2013

This is by no means a luxury hotel, but as a cheap place to spend the night after attending a concert at the Wells Fargo Center it served its purpose. The hotel is about a 25 minute walk from the arena/stadium complex, and a 15 minute walk from the Oregon subway station on the Broad Street Line. The place is old, musty, and definitely past it's prime, but the room was clean, the staff friendly enough, and the location and price were right. I wouldn't want to spend a week here, but for a night it was more than adequate.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 23, 2013

I can realy see that kind of crazy stuff going on here.
Old, outdated, musty & grubby. The carpets were stained bad. There was all kinds of construction debris under the air conditioner in our room, seemes like the entire place was in various stages of "updates" and disaray such as the lobby was getting new drywall on the columns, the bathrrom in our room had a newer style sink and countertop but the shower was old and dirty and the plumbing fixtures on the tub were so loose they were flopping around on the wall as you tried to turn the water on. The elevators are beat up, the whole place is beat up really. It was cheap though but not worth it for me. I wouldn't go back and I wouldn't recommend it unless you're 21 and just want a place to party after a concert, get trashed and pass out then this is the perfect place to do it.
$81.70 for one night tax included.
Cheap+Dumpy=You get what you pay for

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 23, 2013

As a college student, this hotel was great for me.
-ROOM & BUILDING ITSELF (8 points out of 10)
I stayed with three friends, and we all fit just fine in a double bedroom. The size of the room is quite big, very spacious, although the bathroom is a bit small. The beds are clean, the tables are clean, the bathrooms are clean. Yes, the hotel IS a bit old, but it is clean and the staff are fine. There is a smell of old wood, and the doors are a bit creaky but really, the hotel is clean overall.
-FOOD (5/10)
Now, the breakfast is not great. I'd give it a 5 out of 10 just because it has enough things to fill you up (milk, cereal, muffins, toast, butter,jelly, orange juice and coffee), but it is very limited. For me it was just fine because I'm not very picky about food (even less picky if it's for breakfast), but there is a WONDERFUL dinner just across the street.
-LOCATION (6/10)
It is kind of far away from the City Hall(the Centric part of Philadelphia), but it is just 15 minutes from the airport (by car). My friends and I walked to the subway station everyday (a 20-25 minute walk), and took the subway (orange line, towards the North) to the City Hall Station. The train ride is like 10 minutes. However, I would recommend not walking at night back to the hotel. Not because something will happen to you, but just for safety and peace of mind. The cab ride is 6 dollars plus the 3-dollar tip that I used to give it was 9 dollars total. Not bad at all.

Room Tip: The beds are Queen size and they are totally fine to share. My bed-mate and I did not bother each other at all.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends