“A really nice place to stay”
Review of Penrose Hotel

Penrose Hotel
Ranked #77 of 89 Hotels in Philadelphia
Reviewed October 14, 2013

I don't know why this place had so many negative reviews. For weeks leading up to our arrival here were were mentally preparing ourselves for what we had pre-emptively nicknamed 'The Rat-hole".
On our arrival we were very pleasantly surprised. It was a little dated, but it was clear that they were in the process of updating the place. The rooms were comfortable, large, clean, tidy and easy to access.
Due to it's great location close to the subway system and with a fantastic diner across the road I would highly recommend this place to anyone travelling through Philly.
Only concern that was echoed through the other reviews is the slow front-desk service (particularly from the balding chap). We waited about 20min to collect our bags before heading off to the airport, and when checking in initially there was a line of about 4-5 other patrons in front of us.
Also, the breakfast attendant was quite rude to patrons and was quick to put everything away once 10am rolled around.
Don't get me wrong, on weekends, this place may be full of a couple of dodgy characters or a group of med students on a get-away booze-up, but the rooms are well sound insulated and it was never an issue at all.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Robert B

Reviewed October 7, 2013

a nice hotel! it has a good position you can see a very beautiful bridge.my son was very happy because he can see many plane is above the bridge. we have took many photos there.
it's close to bus you can take it to many attraction.
a nice staff, my cell phone and bluetooth was lost in the hotel. when I contact the hotel, they help me to return my stuff.
my son was very happy in the hotel.

Room Tip: it's close to bus you can go to see attractions
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank qingfeng y
Reviewed September 27, 2013

The price was good, and my driver, Trey, was awesome! He was very nice and I enjoyed talking basketball with him. Hopefully you'll be lucky enough to get him as your ride.

However, when I landed, the man who answered the phone was very rude. That's why I only gave it 4-stars.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed September 22, 2013

Sure it's a bit run down and you can find plenty of things to complain about - in my case I had to hunt around the room for an outlet that worked to plug in my laptop, and the wife didn't have reception in my room. But what matters is that it was in the location I needed, it had a clean bed, and it was cheap.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed September 18, 2013

We wanted a place to stay not to expensive but clean and this is the place,half an hour away from down town Philadelphia by city bus it was the perfect place, This Hotel is clean but would need a bit of renovation in the bathrooms. In all it was a good Hotel the desk clerk very polite
and very welcoming, the only major problem in this Hotel was the cold water (none) everything
runs on HOT even after letting the cold faccet run for a while, the best we got was warm so brushing your theet is quite the experience,even the toilet runs on warm water. (very strange)
The room was nice and clean for the price. If your in town for one or two nights it will do the job.

Room Tip: The Hotel is round,the view we had was good on the 14 floor looking at a stadium in the back ground...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Pierrehebert
Reviewed September 16, 2013

Location is very close to the Sports Complex and the Inner City. No traffic congestion. Easy access on and off I-76, and to the airport. Good diner across the street. Very clean, comfortable room. Cheap price compared to other hotels in the area that are close to the city. Did not use the fitness room or pool - can't comment. Suggestions for improvements - Hotel restaurant has small selection of meals - would have appreciated salad selections. Fruit was not served at the continental breakfast as pictured in the photos - I would have enjoyed bananas, apples or oranges. Thank you

Room Tip: Choose the city view side on a high floor. The sunrise and sunsets over the city of Philadelphia a...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank Donna R
Reviewed September 12, 2013

Stay here if on a budget or if there are no problems with completely average accommodations.

The check-in clerk kept rubbing her runny nose as she handled our paperwork.

Hallways needed to be vacuumed.

Cold water ran out in our room.

Hallways and lobby area were hot.

Elevator didn't inspire confidence.

Ice machine didn't work.

This is not the worst place ever, but unless things change it soon will be.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank StNu
Travelers also viewed these Philadelphia hotels
Holiday Inn Philadelphia Stadium
#66 of 89 in Philadelphia
City Center East
Alexander Inn
Alexander Inn
#7 of 89 in Philadelphia
Rodeway Inn Center City
#55 of 89 in Philadelphia

Been to Penrose Hotel? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Penrose Hotel

Address: 2033 Penrose Ave, 2015 Penrose Avenue, Philadelphia, PA 19145-5623 (Formerly Ramada Philadelphia City Center)
Location: United States > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Bar / Lounge Business Center with Internet Access Free Breakfast Free High Speed Internet ( WiFi ) Free Parking Restaurant Suites Wheelchair access Airport Transportation
Ranked #77 of 89 Hotels in Philadelphia
Price Range: $67 - $120 (Based on Average Rates for a Standard Room)
Hotel Class:2.5 star — Penrose Hotel 2.5*
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, bedfinder AG, Hotwire, Orbitz, Priceline, HotelsforEveryone, TripOnline SA and getaroom.com so you can book your Penrose Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Skyview Plaza Hotel And Suites