“It's alright but nothing special”
Review of Penrose Hotel

Penrose Hotel
Ranked #75 of 86 Hotels in Philadelphia
Dallas, Texas
“It's alright but nothing special”
Reviewed April 5, 2012

We ended up staying here as we pretty much couldn't find or afford anywhere else. It's location is ok but not that great. You have to take a bus for about 15 minutes through the ghetto to get downtown. The room was clean but definately could do with an update. An awesome view of the city though. Breakfast was fine, it had toast, cereal, bagels etc. There is wifi but it's shocking unless you are down in the lobby which is quite annoying. Nothing bad to say about this place but like i said it's nothing special. There's a person, like a traffic warden type, that stands across the street under the bridge who has nothing to do with the hotel but was really friendly and helpful to us and other tourists who happened to walk past from the hotel asking for directions or tips on where to go.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
Gardners, Pennsylvania
Reviewed April 2, 2012

We booked airport parking thru cheapopark at this hotel. We prepaid and when we arrived we were told they would not honor our reservation. we had a plane to catch so we ended up paying again to this hotel for parking. On return, we questioned our payment and were told to contact our credit card for reinbursment. This hotel is still listed on the intenet with the same agent.

Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
15 Thank doris005
Egg Harbor Township, New Jersey
Reviewed April 2, 2012

I used this hotel's long term parking service. When I returned, I was so tired that I was waiting for pickup on the departure side of the terminal rather than the designated location on the arrivals side. Courtesy van driver, Jermaine Andrews, was so polite and attentive, he absolutely saved the day for me! Jermaine came out multiple times looking for me,calling me each time to confirm my location . When he could not find me, he called my cell phone to determine my exact whereabouts. Jermaine was professional and kind on the phone. His persistence to find me and his concern for my well being was uncommon and so often lacking today in service personnel. I so appreciated his service! What a wonderful employee this hotel has in Jermaine Andrews!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank Diane S
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed March 26, 2012

Stuck in Philly for the night because of many weather delays, US Airways puts me in this hotel. I specifically request a hotel with a restaurant and lounge (for a meal and a much needed beer). I wait for the shuttle and watch all the nice hotel shuttle vans drive by. Finally, an old beat up, unmarked white van pulls up. The driver is right out of central casting for "South Philly Guy". I get in and we drive by all the nearby airport hotels and keep going. My van driver tells me he is also the security guard for the hotel and that he "doesn't put up with any [--]". I naively wonder why this is relevant. We end up driving to South Philly and the prestigious Skyview Plaza Hotel. I am scared. I check into my room which is funky smelling and dirty. Half the lights no longer work and rain water is dripping into the room. The restaurant and the lounge are closed. They tell me they are being remodeled but I sense that they have been closed for years. My dinner now consists of two tiny bags of potato chips from the vending machine. As I go to my room, I walk by a door where there is some loud animated shouting going on about doing violent, and I would imagine, illegal sexual acts... I am praying that it is just the TV but at this point, I'm not sure. It is midnight and I finally decide to hit the sack but one look at my bed and I know I'm going in fully clothed. I do not fall asleep until about 3:00 am. I keep feeling phantom things crawling on me. I get up at 4:45 am in an insomnia-induced fog to go take a shower and scrub myself down. There is no hot water in the hotel, in fact it's ice cold. I try to gut it out but after three or four minor heart attacks, I give up and just splash the ice water in my face. I quickly dress and get out. I tried to get my money back but no one ever responded to my calls or emails. Afterward, while waiting at the airport, I did some research and found that the Skyview Plaza Hotel was ranked last in reviewed hotels in Philadelphia by Trip Advisor. Why would US Airways aver recommend this hotel to anyone? Anyway, all in all a horrible hotel but I lived.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank CircusBoy2
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed March 16, 2012

Do NOT be fooled by the pictures.

Rusted locks and knobs, king = 2 twins put together, sheets with holes, unwashed sheets (found hairs between the flat sheet and the fitted sheets), the shower knob pulls right off (I had to take out a screw driver to fix it myself to shower), very thin walls, the breakfast is a joke.

I booked it to save some money, but it was not worth the frustration. Do youself a favor and spend $20-30 more for a better night of sleep and a better mood for the rest of the day.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank CalvinCyanghen
west reading
Reviewed February 19, 2012

This is one hotel that i would advise that noone stays in. my husband and i stayed in this hotel(if you want to call it that) for the weekend. the lobby is very nice but that is all. there is supposed to be a restaurant on site that isnt even open for business. the staff claims its being renovated. when i looked inside the window there wasnt any renovations going on at all. my first complaint is the website. everything on the website is a Lie. there is no heated pool, there wasnt even any water in it. they claim they offer internet in your room. well that also is misleading because they told us you can only get interenet if you hang out in the lobby, or get a room on the first and second floor.the rooms were dirty we had to change rooms three times. In the elevators people were smoking cigarettes and marijuana. in one of the three rooms we were in i killed a roach that crawled up the wall. we had to ask for refrigerator and microwave and had to wait 2 and a half hours for, that was not clean at all. as for the alarm clocks, there are no clocks in the room. there is soo many complaints to type but please whoever reads this please do not get a room here. the staff were not even close to being professional. i took pictures of everything. On the morning of our departure the hotel lost power throughout the whole building. also there wasnt any running water. it took hours for them to get it fixed. again the staff offered no compensation for everything. i am now trying to get a refund for this horrible experience.

Room Tip: im sorry but i dont have a tip.