“Gross”
Review of Penrose Hotel

Penrose Hotel
Ranked #77 of 89 Hotels in Philadelphia
Reviewed June 17, 2011

It was so terrible. There was no hot water or heat. i'm pretty sure there was blood on the sheets. I would rather slept outside when it was raining than stay there again.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank sadstormyeyes

Reviewed May 24, 2011

Travel led with Friend, two guys, to this hotel in early May 2011. Ive stayed in some poor hotels and if you are looking for a hotel that is cheap ($75 per night) and close to the Philadelphia sports complex (our reason for staying there), then this is the hotel for you. Otherwise, this is a very crappy hotel. First off, the elevator was quite rickety, unsafe for sure. In room phone did not work, stayed for two days, voiced our concerns to the front desk, never made any effort to help us out. No continental breakfast, no ESPN or any good channels on tv, no pool, in a very questionable area of Philadelphia. If you are going to an Eagles,Phillies, or Flyers game and are on a tight budget and willing to put up with low service (ie.none), then this might be the hotel for you. I would deffinetely not stay here again, thats for sure!

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends
3  Thank coolguy60
Reviewed May 19, 2011

I booked a 4-night stay for a conference in Philly. The only positive experience I had was on the shuttle ride to the Hotel, which was timely with a courteous driver. However, my fellow passenger and I had a rude shock when we walked into the crowded lobby, where about 25 guests were all waiting for the hotel staff to find clean rooms and issue key cards. there were (3) staff working the desk, but only one computer could be used at a time to process reservations and issue rooms. There was no Manager on duty, and I heard one staffer indicate to another guest that the Managers would not be on-site until the following week after 9AM! For a sold-out property during a peak period in Philly, it is unbelievable that no management would be on-site.
After FINALLY getting to the desk (90 minutes later), I was issued a room which turned out, after a slow and sticky ride up the tiny elevator, to be uncleaned from an earlier guest. There were towels everywhere, unmade bed, phone cords missing, headboard ripped out of the wall, and beer cans all over. The corridors smelled musty, and I knew at this moment that I could not accept even an alternate room (none was available).
Upon returning to the crowd in the lobby, I was told that they would have someone clean the room for me (right), although during the next 1/2 hour while I phoned around looking for alternate lodging, the sole housekeeper came thru the lobby on her way home, chatting with another staffer and indicating that she was done for the day and was the last one on site. The stale-beer smell of the lobby furniture only spurred me in my efforts to get out of there! I ended up getting a cancellation receipt from one of the clerks who was very courteous and clearly unable to solve the hotel's troubles. I ran out, caught a cab to the airport Hampton Inn, and never looked back!
The website imagery and claims regarding services and amenities are misleading at best.
PLEASE consider staying in the train station before you book at this one...!!

Room Tip: Please ask for a room at another hotel!
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
3  Thank IA_LDconsultant
Reviewed May 19, 2011

After being stuck at airport and all other hotels books we checked into the Skyview. The shuttle driver was a nice helpful guy. But it ended there. My trip was to take my sister to visit a relative in bad health and fianances were an issue. Since this hotel was the only one available I had to choice but to fortk out $200 for a room. Imagine my surprise when I see that online the rooms start at $75! This was probably a nice hotel at one time but not anymore. Ceilings peeling, beds old and uncomfortable as well as badly made (sheets didn't fit). Room was NOT clean. The lobby was the nicest part of the hotel although the sweet girl at the desk didn't have a clue......No discounts for AAA or AARP. Sad ending to a nice vacation.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank duffacheryl
Reviewed May 17, 2011

this is my first review and feel the need to express to everyone how disgusting this hotel is. My husband and i were stranded in Philly for the night due to a flight delay. The rate seemed to increase at this motel due to supply and demand. It looks like a 1970's dumphouse. The elevator would not close and my husband had to bang and push the doors to get them to move. Our room smelled of mold and there were water stains all over the carpet. There was a hole DRILLED into the door as a makeshift peephole and the bathroom doors seemed to be coming off the hinges. I immediately inspected for bed bugs and refused to put our luggage on the floor. There were drunk couples coming in and out of the hotel and the staff seemed to be high school drop outs. everything including the layout, interior decorating and furniture appeared to be worn out and out dated. I felt so uncomfortable at this hotel that i slept with my clothes ON! I would never recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
6  Thank chill636
Reviewed May 10, 2011

Not sure if it was blood spatter or vomit, either way, the rooms are gross and have your own security if you plan to stay.

• Stayed: April 2011
1  Thank teriann916
Reviewed May 8, 2011

Disgusting is too soft of a word to use to describe this Pitt of a hotel.I'm not sure ho any body could have a good experience here. To the holiday inn we go.

• Stayed: May 2011