“Fantastic Black History Tour”

Philadelphia Historic African American Tours, LLC
Ranked #24 of 74 Tours in Philadelphia
More attraction details
Owner description: "This tenacity for survival is embedded in the history of African American resistance and an intense desire to be free." J.H. Shiele (2005). PHAAT will only be able to provide step on tours until further notice. Join us for an intimate African American tour on your bus or van for an experience which bridges gaps in American history. Operating year round: **Tours are by reservation only.**
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Wheelchair access
Reviewed June 16, 2010

Several weeks ago a busload of mostly mature, black ladies from cities all over the USA joined me in a Black Historic Tour of Philadelphia. What we expected (the usual city tour, with touch of black history) was NOT what we got!! We sat mesmerized for over three hours while Ms. Palmore-Lewis escorted us from site to site providing the most unbelievable (and hereto unknown) details/facts of each site.

She went far beyond the "this is" or "who slept here". She provided the background of the "this is" site and frequently exlained why the person slept there (and sometimes with whom) as well as other interesting details. We traveled from one end of the city to the other and all points in between. Ms. Palmore-Lewis never stopped providing interesting details, most of which we had never heard before.

The tour was an enjoyable history lesson about Philadelphia! It was an unbelievably refreshing take on what we expected would be the usual city tour, from a Black tour guide!

Reviewed June 14, 2010

I would recommend this tour wholeheartedly to anyone interested in Philadelphia and the history that intertwines this incredible city. Charlene, the tour guide is unbelievable....her narratives and descriptions allows you to absolutely relive history. She has a wealth of information and exudes so much excitement and energy. There is only one suggestion, because there is so much information to absorb, it would be great to have a reference brochure equipped with what was covered.....a keepstake. But all in all, it was by far the most intriguing, generous and thought provoking tour I have ever experience. Thanks Charlene, job well done!!!!

Cheryl, Shirley, Travis and Kelly

2  Thank greshamc
Reviewed June 12, 2010

When the tour ended I thought "what took me so long to take this tour?" Charlene's wit and knowledge are remarkable! She is an asset to the historical spirit of the city. I enjoyed the entire tour, however, the facts and overwhelming truths she expounded regarding the pre-slavery era African American citizens served as confirmation to history I was aware of but left me with a stronger bond to those individuals and that history. As she brought their stories to life, I felt as though there was always a time when they were seeing us yet to come. When I went home and studied my notes and researched, I sensed an undeniable correlation between African American history and Joseph's contributions to Egypt, the subsequent enslavement of the people and the deliverance from bondage.

1  Thank rbright516
Reviewed June 8, 2010

This tour complemented my visit/tour to other historical sites in Philadelphia.The guide-Charlene- was very informative on Black history in the area and answered all questions.The stop at the Mother Bethel African Methodist Episcopal Church/Richard Allen Museum was breath taking. I highly recommend this tour to all Blacks and others interested in Philadelphia's Black history

1  Thank ebowenMoorpark
Reviewed June 8, 2010

I never knew that Philadelphia had soo many treasures in relation to African American History. I really liked how our tour guide intertwined the history taught in school to the history that African Americans need to know. Awesome job!

1  Thank tamspaid