“Yum!”

Cuisines: Italian
Boston, Massachusetts
“Yum!”
Reviewed January 1, 2014 via mobile

Encouraged by reports (including the recommendation from Anthony Bourdain's The Layover) we skipped the Pat/Geno's cheese steak showdown for this little sandwich shop abutting the Italian Market. We were not disappointed. We easily got beyond the zero atmosphere and few beverage options to the creative sandwich combinations. We were sorry to only be able to try two. I had a lamb sausage sandwich on flatbread studded with pickled sour cherries and mint sauce, which was delish, if messy. The vegetarian eggplant on sesame roll was equally yummy, but lacked the fennel that was advertised. Nutella crepe was a nice finish, but could have benefitted from more marmalade.

Paesano P, General Manager at Paesano's Philly Style Sandwiches, responded to this review, January 9, 2014
You are the reason why we work so hard! Thank you very much for showing your love towards our sandwiches. It really means a lot to us. Next time you come in please remind us of your review. We would love to give you a great big hug...or free stuff:)

Clinton, New Jersey
“Good sandwiches outside Philly Center”
Reviewed December 1, 2013

I went based on TA opinions. Sandwiches were good, but not out of this world. We had the Paesano, Arista and Giardina, All very good. Out of the three, the Paesano was the best. Sandwiches were made on French bread, Bread did not fall apart and kept all ingredients together. These sandwiches do get soggy if not eaten quickly. Eat them at Paesano's or in your car. If not, they will not taste as they were meant to be eaten. Also, location is extremely small. Maybe 5 seats inside. Not in the greatest of neighborhoods. I will go back for another Paesano.

• Visited December 2013
Paesano P, General Manager at Paesano's Philly Style Sandwiches, responded to this review, December 12, 2013
Thank you for visiting us and writing such a great review. We really appreciate you taking the time out to tell the world about out sandwiches. You truly are one of best paesans'. Mention your review next time you come by and we'll throw in some extra love.
Sterling, Virginia
“must try”
Reviewed November 19, 2013

We have tried the "popular" tourist restaurants on and around 9th street on several trips to Philly and for the most part have been very disappointed. NOT this time. My roasted eggplant sandwhich was the best roasted eggplant I have ever had. My husband's mixed Italian meat sub was very good. The staff was friendly and welcoming. The biggest reason to eat here, besides the excellent food is the place itself. My family is originally from Philly and visiting 9th street was always the highlight of the trip. Paesano's is exactly the great home grown Italian business that made 9th street the coolest place to visit in Philly. Go, enjoy

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank karen l
Paesano P, Manager at Paesano's Philly Style Sandwiches, responded to this review, November 22, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write us such a great review. As I'm sure you know your comments are the best form of connection with our customers. And hey, us south Philly folks gotta stick tight. Ciao Bella. Gracie. Paesano.
Los Angeles
“A Yummy Sandwich Joint in the Italian Market”
Reviewed November 7, 2013

I had the Arista here: Roast Pork, Rabe, Sharp Provolone on a chewy Italian roll, yummilicious! I love Broccoli Rabe so the sauteed Rabe, lots of roast pork and sharp provolone set my taste buds on fire. Wish I had a chianti. If you are not a Rabe fan you may want to try their other sandwiches. This sandwich is different from most you've tried. There's prominent deliciousness to the roast pork, slight bitterness from the Rabe and slightly sharp Provolone. But I loved this sandwich because I've never had anything like it. The sandwich joint is popular because it's been featured on the Travel Channel, blah blah blah.

Its a small place, 3 tall communal benches and you can seat maybe 10 people comfortably, 15 snugly in the entire place. Sandwiches are $8 plus $2 for a soda. It's a $10 lunch and they're only open until 3pm most days. Still it's a very good deal in the Italian Market. Some of the other sandwiches are well reviewed by other boards. Service is efficient. This is not a place where you sit for hours as there are always people waiting for their sandwiches and you will feel pity on those waiting. Do not take the sandwiches togo and eat them 1/2 hour later as you will have a soggy meal on your hands. There is supposed to be a park a block away or so but I did not check it out on my 2 visits to Paesanos. Must try for it's unique well put together sandwiches.

Visits: 2

Visited October 2013
Thank you! Your kind words are worth every ounce of love we put into sandwiches. You are a true Paesan and we'd love to have you back. And when you do, let us know about your Trip Advisor review and we'll take something off the check.
Boston
“Worthy of great reviews”
Reviewed November 3, 2013

On my recent visit to Philly I wanted to find the best steak and cheese sandwich, but in my search for that I came across the many rave reviews for Paesano's. It's not steak and cheese but better. It turned out to be convenient for my ride on the historic #15 trolley route too, as it's just a couple of blocks from Girard Av. Station where the trolley meets the Market-Frankford subway-elevated line. Paesano's is very small, just a half dozen seats at a counter, but the sandwiches are big, unique, juicy, creative, and full of flavor. Friendly people too. If you weren't looking for Paesano's you'd probably miss it but it's definitely worth the search.

• Visited October 2013