“Five Star Sandwiches & Potatoes”

Paesano's Philly Style Sandwiches
Ranked #332 of 4,342 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Cuisines: American, Italian
Good for: Families with children, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Delivery, Seating, Takeout
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Five Star Sandwiches & Potatoes”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2013 via mobile

Just tried the Italian Market branch of Paesano's when visiting Philly. The famed Arista (roast suckling pig, broccoli rabe and cheese on a seeded hoagie roll) was *very* good, and the Gustaio (lamb sausage, arugula, fennel and cherry mustarda on flatbread) was the *best sandwich we've ever eaten.* The potatoes, drenched in cheese and garlic, live up to Paesano's advertising as 'the most flavorful we can muster'-- delicious!

Prices are very fair-- sandwiches are under $10, the potatoes are $2 per serving-- and the portions are huge. Seating is simple-- this is a small shop, equipped with counters, stools and a soda machine.

Go hungry, go often and enjoy working your way through Paesano's menu.

(A plus for the gluten free: you can get your sandwich on a gluten free hoagie roll supplied to Paesano's by Taffet's, the gluten free bakery located across 9th Street. Taffet's also makes delicious brownies-- try one for dessert after Paesano's.)

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank ANetliner

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“My Goodness Gracious!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2013 via mobile

Unforgettable oral experience! Now I want to try every sandwich in the menu. Great place to just to share your experience. I wasnt alone, even the strangers around me sat in amazement. Worth the try...

1 Thank William O
Los Angeles, California
“I am so difficult to please at Italian/American restaurants, and I LOVED this place!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

Visited Philly the day before Easter and around lunchtime the Reading Terminal Market was such a zoo, and the lines were so long, we decided to head over to Little Italy. After looking at our options, we decided to try Paesano's. I usually cannot even look at a typical Italian/American sandwich as it includes mayo and all sorts of toppings which I just don't enjoy, however, I had a hard time choosing what to eat at Paesano's! I finally chose the Arista, which is Italian pork, Italian Long Hots, Broccoli Rabe and Provolone. O.M.G. It was DELICIOUS and I was SO happy that I could actually enjoy my sandwich, because as I said, it's quite rare for me (I am a blogging foodie at Christina's Cucina so that should explain something.) My friend ordered the Gustaio which was House-made Lamb sausage, Sun-dried Cherry Mustarda, Gorgonzola Spread, Roasted Fennel, & Arugula...this was also very tasty, but I did like mine better. We also ordered some roast potatoes which were fantastic, but unfortunately, it was just so much food, we couldn't finish them all.

Don't expect much in the way of atmosphere, seating or luxury because it's just a little casual place to pick up a sandwich, but I would eat here over a fancy restaurant with bad food, anyday of the week!

A friend of mine is going to Philly to visit her friend at Lehigh and I am going to tell her that she just HAS to find time to go to this restaurant. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank ccincalif
New Jersey
“different and delicious!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2013

Unique, weird even combos -- but they work! We went back both days -- it was that Good! Nice guys behind the counter. Just wish they had more seating and a bathroom. But, don't let that stop you. The Lasagna sandwich and the lamb sausage were so different and great! More traditional are the Brisket and Roast Pork -- but still excellent.

Visited March 2013
1 Thank karpach
Acton, Massachusetts
“One of my all-time favorite sandwich spots”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2013

After an afternoon at the Barnes Exhibit with my ladyfriend and her 94 year-old grandmother, we stopped by Paesano's for sandwiches. Distressed at first by the lack of elderly-appropriate seating (Paesano's has only stools which are a bit high for such an old woman to hop up to), we were relieved to find all patrons in such a good mood after eating their amazing sandwiches that several gave up their seats to help hoist Grandma into one. We ordered a variety of sandwiches, including the Giardina (exceptional eggplant), the Arista (juicy pork and broccoli rabe, fantastic), and, best of all, the GUSTAIO. While my sandwich-loving heart may forever pledge allegiance to TC Lando's (Acton, Massachusetts), my more objective sensibility may have to concede that the Gustaio is the best sandwich I have ever eaten. A sublime fusion of savory gorgonzola, sweet cherry mustarda, and perfectly seasoned lamb sausage, I will probably be telling my grandkids about this sandwich when I am Grandma Bunny's age. Paesano's easily ranks with America's other sandwich geats (Ike's in San Francisco, and Bunk in Portland, Oregon.)

• Visited January 2013