“New to Me, But I Will Return”
Review of Le Virtu

Le Virtu
Reserve with OpenTable
Le Virtu is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #222 of 4,506 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Juniper & Mifflin
Transit: Snyder Ave. stop on SEPTA/Broad Street subway.
Reviewed May 11, 2014

Outstanding Italian in a gentrified East Passyunk area. The food was delicious. Home made pasta. Not just your regular spaghetti and meatballs, But rather, something a bit more special. And yes there is outdoor dining too, if it isn't raining. I think I did understand that the menu was from Sicily, but don't hold me to that. In any case, I enjoyed an excellent meal at Le Virtu at 1927-29 East Passyunk, Philadelphia, PA 19148 phone 215.271.5626.

Reviewed May 6, 2014

What a wonderful dinner and fantastic dining experience. The Chef at this restaurant really surprised us with the most authentic Italian food I have had since my last trip to Italy. I spend approximately two months a year in Italy and frequently in the beautiful Abruzzo region which has it's very own unique culinary culture. Chef has captured it in all it's splendor from fresh lamb roasts, pastas with flavorful sauces and grilled meats and vegetables.

I particularly liked the ravioli and the paparadelli with lamb ragu.
You will not go wrong at this dining spot. The restaurant is cozy and rustic with a spectacular outdoor patio for grilling and enjoying a beautiful evening. It was another highlight of our visit to Philadelphia!

Reviewed March 23, 2014

South Philly has really grown up, and Le Virtu is one example of why. This charming South Philadelphia restaurant serves food with influences of the Abruzzo region of Italy. The food is tasty, with wonderful flavors, and the wait staff knowledgable. The one complaint is that vegetarian options were sparse, but what they did offer was done well. We started with the Insalata di rucola, an arugula salad with pears and pecorino, and the Palott cac' e ove, an interesting dish consisting of braised egg and cheese croquettes in tomato sauce. The latter was surprisingly light and very flavorful. As an entree I had the Ttaccozzelle all'aquilana, a tender handmade pasta dish with with porcini, black truffle, and Navelli saffron. Non-vegetarians can have this with sausage, but the vegetarian version was delicious. My friend loved his Agnello brasato, a braised lamb shoulder with cipollini onions, parsnips, lardo-roasted Brussels sprouts. The desserts were also excellent, with raves for the olive-oil blueberry cake. I highly recommend this restaurant. Be sure to make reservations -- it is bustling, even on a Sunday evening.

Reviewed February 21, 2014

Le Virtu offers a complete dining experience starting with friendly and knowledgable waitstaff and owners who engaged us in conversation and truly were interested in discussing the regional cuisine of Italy and its link to Le Virtu. The food is delicious and innovative and portion size allows the diner to savor each course. I've attended regular and speciality dinners at Le Virtu and each time am rewarded with a memorable dining experience.

Reviewed January 29, 2014

Le Virtu is an attractive place on busy Passyunk Avenue in the heart of South Philadelphia's (mostly Italian) restaurant area. It is thoroughly wonderful. I recently had dinner there with half a dozen friends. (Since we went on a cold January evening, outside seating wasn't gonna happen.) Sometimes you know something about a place when you come through the door. Walking into the comfortable environment of Le Virtu, the wonderful aromas of Italian cooking let us know we'd be in good hands. We had a great experience from start to finish. We were eating early, and for most of our meal had our dining room to ourselves. (By the time we departed, it was a different story, with every table filled.) Service was perfect, efficient and not obtrusive. There is full bar service and we agreed that our cocktails and glasses of wine were excellent. My martini was one of the best I've tasted. Among us, we ventured all over the menu and there were no disappointments. There were several salads to choose from, all attractively presented. I was feeling adventurous and had as my main course pork belly, which I'd never tasted. It was wonderfully prepared and seasoned. Others had a variety of pasta, meat and seafood entrees. One friend had the seafood stew, which he pronounced excellent. The ambience of the restaurant is just right, comfortable but decidedly upscale. This is considered one of Philadelphia's outstanding restaurants and it's a fine choice for a special night out.

1  Thank bill1766