“Very Good Schnitzel and Spatzle - Raucous Vibe”
Review of Brauhaus Schmitz

Brauhaus Schmitz
Reserve with OpenTable
Brauhaus Schmitz is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #140 of 4,509 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Cuisines: German
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: City Center East
Reviewed July 4, 2013

My wife and I had dinner here during U.S. Open week, mid-week around 8:00 pm, and it was unexpectedly noisy, but it sort of has a beer hall atmosphere, so this shouldn't have come as a big surprise to us, there was no quiet seat in the house. We were not into sampling or drinking beers, but were hoping for some good German food, and we were not disappointed. We ordered the Vienna style schnitzel with spatzle and it was delicious. We ordered a very nice bottle of Riesling to accompany and we quite enjoyed ourselves, and settled into the noise after a few glasses. For dessert we had strudel, and it was fairly good, but we have had better. Very good food worthy of an above average rating, but not 5 star. Note on service, it was what I would describe as"youthful" - very laid back and casual without being offensive, but not experienced enough to know all the etiquette involved in establishing a "5-star service" rating.

1  Thank saphira31

Reviewed June 24, 2013

we ate there 22 June, we made reservations which is recommended . the food was amazing the best meal we ever had i had the spiessbraten and my girl had the chicken Schnitzel . even though its a German restaurant everything is explained in English. as for the massive beer list each beer is described as well. they have beer of all styles the food was AMAZING the service was fast and we enjoyed it more then Ruth Chris in some ways. we will definitely be back. the south street area of Philly is great all kinds of things to do.

Reviewed June 23, 2013

We stopped in to have a German beer and lunch. The beer menu was incredible even for my husband who is a self proclaimed beer expert. Wait staff was friendly and accomodating. We would have loved to have spent the rest of the afternoon hanging at the bar but we had to travel home. Would definitely recommend for anyone traveling to Philly. Don't miss this place.

Reviewed June 23, 2013

I miss the old Ludwig's restaurant on Sansom Street for the very best German food in Philly. Brauhaus Schmitz fills the German food niche nicely, but not 100%. I wish I did not have to battle South Street crowds and parking to get there (South Street has become seedy and uninteresting lately). If Brauhaus was in a different location, I would visit more often. Their house made smoked meats included a very fine liverwurst that paired wonderfully with the radishes and onion jam. The moist, grainy bread was excellent on its own or with the meats. My husband always orders the house made bratwurst, which comes in either a meter or half meter length. This past visit, I had the weisswurst (veal and pork sausage) and the ungarischewurst (spicy paprika sausage). The latter was fairly spicy and overpowered the taste of the delicate white sausage, so I had to eat it last, but the combination of hot and mild worked for me. The red cabbage was the best I have had, with just the right balance of sweet and sour, and a not-too-crunchy texture. The low points of the meal were the very bland potato salad and spaetzle. I love German side dishes, but the ones at Brauhaus were lacking in taste and seasoning. The sauerkraut was rather tasteless also. They should give as much attention to the side dishes as they do to their sausages.

Reviewed June 20, 2013

Even surrounded by the honky-tonk of South Street Brauhaus Schmitz is a wonderful place. It's not too dull, but it's not too rowdy, either. It's a perfect place to go with a larger group. For dinner, the menu is fairly extensive, and everyone can find something they like (even if German food is not their thing). For beverages, trying the many different kinds of beer is also fun. Even if you're not a beer expert, the servers are friendly and happy to help you in navigate both the beer menu and the food menu. We'll definitely go back many times.