“Happy place! Great beer and ambiance!”
Review of Brauhaus Schmitz

Brauhaus Schmitz
Reserve with OpenTable
Brauhaus Schmitz is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #137 of 4,428 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Cuisines: German
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: City Center East
Reviewed November 23, 2012 via mobile

Been here for a casual dinner, enjoyed the happy and outgoing atmosphere, the perfect amiable. Service and the lovely meat plate for two. Draft beer is delicious, ask for service guidance if you find it impossible to deal with the 4 pages od draft beer selection on the menu

There are newer reviews for Brauhaus Schmitz

Reviewed November 21, 2012

We were visiting Philadelphia with a friend from Cologne, Germany who was looking for some good home cooking so we were pleased that someone at the Brauhaus stand at the Reading Terminal Market told us about the restaurant. While the food was good our service was poor and unpleasant. Maybe it was the "authentic costume" that she was wearing that made her unhappy. Finally after prying we found out that one of the owners was from Cologne. Hmmmm... Were they there? Would they like to say hello to someone visiting from their hometown? The restaurant was empty. We'll never know as the waitress could have cared less. I would recommend brat und kraut at der Wienerschnitzel at the mall. The service is more pleasant

Reviewed October 20, 2012

Came here with a group of 7 looking for a good authentic german meal to celebrate october fest and remember our german hertiage. We made reservations for 3pm. We werent aware they use different menu for lunch and dinner(starts at 5pm) so although we were looking for few of their hearty dinner choices we had to settle with light lunch fare. They did most of the same things on lunch menu. All the food was very good. A few in our party tried some beer and they have an extensive menu for that. Although i am german i havent been to germany to say the food was exactly authentic it tasted really good(spaetzel, weinerschnitzel, cabbage,sauerkraut.. etc all very good). 3 items for dessert on the menu we tried the torte n appel struesel both really good. The decor is german and staff dressed to match. There is a front bar area with seating that might be for a more noisier crowd and a back room with fireplace and bar and big dining area were we sat was nice. It appears they might have an upstairs private room as well. Great time and we cant wait to come back. Our bill for 7 was around 220 which is a great deal with drinks and apps included.

Reviewed October 12, 2012

My wife and I met some friends here for dinner last week that had been here before. I tend to expect more once a friend has hyped a place up beforehand. He did not exaggerate.

The atmosphere is great. When the weather is nice they leave the big double front doors open to the street. It's on South Street in Philly so it's a cool place to people watch. I had heard parking could be a real issue, as well as waiting for a table. Well, we arrived a little before our reservation time of 5pm on a Friday evening. I would expect that's the worse time to find parking on South Street. Not the case at all. We grabbed the first spot we came across about a block away. We could have parked within a hundred feet of the front door. Parking was $5 for 3 hours I think. Much better than the lots.

There was no wait when we got there, as the place was just barely starting to get busy. I'd suggest midweek, or early evening as the best time to come here.

The stout that I ordered was probably the best beer I've ever had. Our group ordered the cheese plate as an appetizer and the four of us didn't finish it. I would order it again. GREAT spreads for the different breads and cheeses that came on the plate. My wife and I ordered sausage samplers with sides. We tried the spaetzel, sauerkraut, and potato pancake. The pancake was excellent, the sauerkraut was pretty good, and the spaetzel left a lot to be desired. I'm used to a creamier presentation, but this was obviously heated up on a flat top.Still good, but leaving me wanting the authentic dish. The various sausages were all very good. Our friends enjoyed their meals with no complaints and one of the orders, I don't recall the name, looked like a huge thick ham steak/smoked pork chop that looked wonderful.

All in all a must go back again restaurant. The tab was fair for what we got. The service was as good as it gets in my book, and the atmosphere was perfect. Not saying you'll think you are in Germany, but right up there with the best in the region.

Reviewed October 5, 2012

German restaurants aren't very common so I was happy to find out about this one. Our server was nice and was able to answer our questions about the menu. My jaegerschnitzel was amazing. They also have an extensive beer and schnapps list.