“Go for the Bier!!”
Review of Brauhaus Schmitz

Brauhaus Schmitz
Reserve with OpenTable
Brauhaus Schmitz is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #138 of 4,428 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Cuisines: German
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: City Center East
Reviewed August 13, 2012

First the positives! One of the best German beer selections from the tap in the Delaware Valley. The availability to enjoy your selection in a litre krug is a nice option for those who miss the good times in Bavaria. Was looking for someone to give the old Prosit clashing of the mass biers! Bottled beer selection is off the charts. Just awesome. Maybe Monks has something comparible.

My family of 4 enjoyed dinner there over the weekend. Even in Center City, the prices were insane. Tell me how a pair of wursts should cost $18.00? The "side" dishes were a paltry helping at best. Come on! Food was cooked well and tased just fine. Just way over priced. The $3 pretzel and a litre of beer is probably my next menu choice when I visit again.

If you know the city or the burbs, you know there are German/Austrian establishments that serve many of the same wursts (Schmitz has some "house made") from the two local butchers (Illgs/Reikers) with a much better presentation for your wallet.

Someone has come up with a way to kill a wurst platter.....total shame.

1  Thank sal-paradise500
There are newer reviews for Brauhaus Schmitz

Reviewed August 11, 2012

They have a lot of good beer. Great unless your wife doesn't drink beer. We looked forward to the food for awhile though, since it is the only full menu German in the area. The potatoes and onions were good. The potato pancakes were good (and I don't normally go for poatoes).The schnitzle was average at best, as was the saurbraten. Spaetzle was OK.

If we didn't have to cab it over there, and pay what we did, it may deserve a 3 rating. I think I'm being generous. IMO, of course.

Reviewed August 11, 2012

Good service excellent beer list (bottle and draft) and some nice wines. Our server did not speak German, but was very helpful and efficient. We both had a wurst platter which reminded me of the real thing in Germany.

After the demise of Ludwig's Garten, it's nice to have a good German Restaurant in town.
one caveat: South Street is very crowded at night, traffic insane and parking a problem.

Reviewed August 5, 2012

We LOVE Brauhaus Schmidt. We come here all the time and enjoy at least a few Boots of beer. My favorite beer is ALWAYS on tap (Lindeman's Framboise for those keeping track!) and I have been known to put back a 1L boot by myself.

The staff are great and the food is, too. I love the "stew" and of course the "sausage". (obviously not the German terms). The fries are tasty but make note--they're the only vegetarian friendly item on the menu other than beer!

I've had several large parties here and it's always been great. The lederhosen and German music take it to the next level. Love it!

Reviewed July 27, 2012

Food was very good and beer was even better. Service was great. We went on a Monday night and even parked in front of the place!