“theft ignored by hotel management”

Kimpton Hotel Palomar Philadelphia
Ranked #5 of 88 Hotels in Philadelphia
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed June 12, 2010

The internet connection was awful, so if you are planning on getting some work done, best go to Starbucks. After numerous phone calls to management about my personal property being stolen - no resolution... until I filed a police report.
For the price and what they offer, you are better off across the street or anywhere else for that matter. In all my travels (business and personal) this has never happended... it's appalling!! Shame on you Hotel Palomar !!!
The service at the restaurant was ok but don't ask for jam or jelly for your toast - 'they ran out' ....

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled on business
7  Thank prodrinica
Write a ReviewReviews (2,631)

Reviewed June 11, 2010

I stayed at this hotel for 3 nights in June and couldn’t have been happier with my time here. The hotel is right across the street from the very high ranked Sofitel hotel and is really in a perfect location in downtown Philadelphia. Rittenhouse square is just a couple of blocks away and is such a nice park to walk through. Be sure to sign up for the Kimpton rewards program before going here as there are some great perks such as free internet access and a $10 credit to raid the minibar. My room was located on the 21st floor and while it was great to have a room up so high it usually took a while to get back down to ground level when I left the room. On many occasions the elevator would stop 4 or 5 times on the way down so be sure to give yourself plenty of time to get to the lobby if you are located on a high floor. I also ended up using the valet and was pretty pleased with their service. However, 17th street (which runs in front of the hotel) gets very busy and the space to valet cars in front of the hotel can get full really quick so that definitely requires some patience. So be sure to call ahead for your car before leaving the room because it takes no less than 10 to 15 minutes for the valet to bring it around once you do call. Although this is a pet friendly hotel I only saw one dog while I was there and was kind of surprised by that.

Overall, I would definitely stay here again if the price was right. It definitely felt like I was staying in a brand new hotel.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 7, 2010

First off, let me say that I had a very difficult time in choosing hotels for the memorial day weekend/my girlfriends birthday mostly because the prices in Philly were so darn good for the hotels (in the financial district especially) and there's several good ones within a 4-6 block radius.

After reading the reviews, and seeing the pictures of the bathroom in the Spa King suite (I believe that's what it's called) it was an easy choice on where we were staying. First off, the hotel is very easy to get to, the valet and doorman were especially professional and greet with the professionalism of a five star hotel, but with the friendliness of a B&B.

Our room, well, in one word our room was spectacular. It wasn't that it was so large in size, but it was the bathroom, the enormous jacuzzi tub and the quality of the materials in the room itself. I know Kimpton Hotel's are high-end, but this was Ritz Carlton high-end (i've stayed in several including all of the ones in/around the Nations Capitol).

The food was beyond what we'd expect. Yes, Philly is known for the cuisine, but the in room menu mirrored the top notch restaurant that resides in the hotel (which again, was spectacular). We didn't even take advantage of the complementary continental breakfast because we so very much enjoyed sleeping in the extremely comfortable bed and just kept ordering room service.

Dinner at Square 1682 was an experience. The restaurant is ultra modern without being overwhelming or overbearing on the senses. The service once again replicated that of the staff that we'd experienced thus far. They took care of us, were treated like VIP's and made it one of the most memorable times that we had together in a restaurant. They when brought out a small cake for my girlfriend after I told them a few weeks before that it was her birthday.

The hotel is close to parks, shops, and just about everything you'd want to do downtown. I can't stress enough how fantastic our experience was at the Palomar, if you're looking for a world-class experience in gorgeous hotel with second to none service and a amazing menu then look no further than this hotel. One last thing, they outsource their in-room spa services......but they've done their homework and our masseuse was gifted, we were set for the rest of the day after the message.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank blp2
Reviewed June 7, 2010

We stayed at Hotel Palomar last weekend and had a great trip. The hotel was always bustling with activity, without feeling overwhelming. The happy hour complimentary wine was awesome, as was the free morning coffee. We brought our dog with us, and the hotel was extremely dog-friendly. When we checked in, they brought a dog bed and bowls up to the room and had a special 'dog at play' hanger for the door. The area was great (though Saturday night was a big cheesy) and it was great being able to walk to Rittenhouse Square with the dog in the morning. Fun hotel in a cute area.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 2, 2010

We had a wonderful stay at this hotel. Staff were all very friendly. Usually I do not get a good night sleep at hotels, bu here the bed was comfortable and room was very clean. I always enjoy my stay at Kimpton Hotels and this was no different. I would stay here agian!

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank meuniedm
Reviewed May 25, 2010

My husband and I booked a Spa King room at the Palomar for a one night stay 2 weeks before Easter. Here's how it went-
- difficult time figuring out the parking situation. all the one way streets didn't help this. We didn't see a valet in the front (he was actually helping people on the side of the building). Noticed later that there is a little street sign in the front indicating valet parking, but it's really difficult to see.
-hot chocolate and pretzels with cheese and mustard in the lobby. Great touch! Wish I was hungry... Husband did the check -in. Wasn't given a mini bar key (we don't really use it, but I like to have it just in case) and for some reason he said no to turn down service. When we went down for the wine hour I requested both. Was given the mini bar key but sadly never got the turn down service.
- Room was gorgeous! Everything was so modern and the bathroom was incredible. Our room had a huge walk in shower and a giant soaking tub that was so deep. I think a couple that was 3 times our size could sit comfortably. The room was a bit warm, but I figured it was because the sun beating down on the window in our room.
- Wine hour was nice. The living room area was a bit small, but we found a place to sit and enjoy our glasses.
-Got back to the room in the evening. It was still quite warm. Fiddled with the thermostat, but nothing help. Went back and forth for a bit the front desk about the issue. They sent someone up, but they were no help. Front desk they had no engineers on the weekends and could offer to change our room. The only issue was that because they were full capacity, it would be a downgraded room with a smaller bed and regular bathroom. My husband was very upset about this. He and I both couldn't understand how there wasn't an engineer available at the hotel when they are at full capacity. I know the person helping us was trying her best to make us happy, so we reluctantly accepted to be moved. It's was either be miserable in a fancy room, or be slightly inconvenienced and get a good nights rest. She offered us a $30 credit towards breakfast for our trouble.
-Next morning we went to the lobby for check out to ensure our rate was changed to the lower rate. Even though we decided to eat elsewhere for breakfast the person checking us out still applied the credit to our bill.

Even though we did have some issues, I do feel that the staff did they best they possibly could to make us happy. I don't feel like other hotel chains would have tried so hard. Definitely going to try a Kimpton on my next trip.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank hozee81
Reviewed May 25, 2010

This is by far the best hotel that I’ve stayed in on my three trips to the USA. It’s immaculately clean and decorated in a cool but quirky style. The free, evening wine reception (including popcorn and Nintendo Wii!) is a really nice touch. The restaurant and bar are a little pricey but I suppose that’s typical for hotels. The breakfasts are pretty good – French toast with bananas, pecans and maple syrup was lovely and the omelettes were good too.

The only negative aspect of the stay was that the fire alarm was set off on Saturday night and the rooms were evacuated . Fortunately, it was a false alarm but nevertheless many people did end up in the lobby in their PJs. It was pretty scary but the staff were surprisingly unsympathetic. I felt particularly sorry for older, frail guests who had to make it down multiple flights of stairs. I suppose these things happen but I think the staff could have handled the situation better.

I love the fact that it’s a pet-friendly hotel and I would definitely stay here again if I was in Philadelphia. The location is great – definitely in one of the nicer areas of the City. There are lots of nice restaurants and bars in easy reach.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank Sophcana
Distributi0nManager, Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Philadelphia, responded to this reviewResponded June 2, 2010

Dear Sophcana,
I want to thank you for sharing your review with us. We appreciate the compliments and I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed the room, location and the wine hour. I also want to apologize for the inconvenience of the fire alarm going off during your stay, and I'm sorry that you felt our staff could have done better to empathize with our guests. I will pass your feedback on to our team so that we can work to improve the way we handle this situation in the future. Thanks again for sharing, and we hope to see you again soon!