“The Perfect Romantic Weekend”

Kimpton Hotel Palomar Philadelphia
Ranked #5 of 88 Hotels in Philadelphia
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed June 7, 2010

First off, let me say that I had a very difficult time in choosing hotels for the memorial day weekend/my girlfriends birthday mostly because the prices in Philly were so darn good for the hotels (in the financial district especially) and there's several good ones within a 4-6 block radius.

After reading the reviews, and seeing the pictures of the bathroom in the Spa King suite (I believe that's what it's called) it was an easy choice on where we were staying. First off, the hotel is very easy to get to, the valet and doorman were especially professional and greet with the professionalism of a five star hotel, but with the friendliness of a B&B.

Our room, well, in one word our room was spectacular. It wasn't that it was so large in size, but it was the bathroom, the enormous jacuzzi tub and the quality of the materials in the room itself. I know Kimpton Hotel's are high-end, but this was Ritz Carlton high-end (i've stayed in several including all of the ones in/around the Nations Capitol).

The food was beyond what we'd expect. Yes, Philly is known for the cuisine, but the in room menu mirrored the top notch restaurant that resides in the hotel (which again, was spectacular). We didn't even take advantage of the complementary continental breakfast because we so very much enjoyed sleeping in the extremely comfortable bed and just kept ordering room service.

Dinner at Square 1682 was an experience. The restaurant is ultra modern without being overwhelming or overbearing on the senses. The service once again replicated that of the staff that we'd experienced thus far. They took care of us, were treated like VIP's and made it one of the most memorable times that we had together in a restaurant. They when brought out a small cake for my girlfriend after I told them a few weeks before that it was her birthday.

The hotel is close to parks, shops, and just about everything you'd want to do downtown. I can't stress enough how fantastic our experience was at the Palomar, if you're looking for a world-class experience in gorgeous hotel with second to none service and a amazing menu then look no further than this hotel. One last thing, they outsource their in-room spa services......but they've done their homework and our masseuse was gifted, we were set for the rest of the day after the message.

1  Thank blp2

Reviewed June 7, 2010

We stayed at Hotel Palomar last weekend and had a great trip. The hotel was always bustling with activity, without feeling overwhelming. The happy hour complimentary wine was awesome, as was the free morning coffee. We brought our dog with us, and the hotel was extremely dog-friendly. When we checked in, they brought a dog bed and bowls up to the room and had a special 'dog at play' hanger for the door. The area was great (though Saturday night was a big cheesy) and it was great being able to walk to Rittenhouse Square with the dog in the morning. Fun hotel in a cute area.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 2, 2010

We had a wonderful stay at this hotel. Staff were all very friendly. Usually I do not get a good night sleep at hotels, bu here the bed was comfortable and room was very clean. I always enjoy my stay at Kimpton Hotels and this was no different. I would stay here agian!

1  Thank meuniedm
Reviewed May 25, 2010

My husband and I booked a Spa King room at the Palomar for a one night stay 2 weeks before Easter. Here's how it went-
- difficult time figuring out the parking situation. all the one way streets didn't help this. We didn't see a valet in the front (he was actually helping people on the side of the building). Noticed later that there is a little street sign in the front indicating valet parking, but it's really difficult to see.
-hot chocolate and pretzels with cheese and mustard in the lobby. Great touch! Wish I was hungry... Husband did the check -in. Wasn't given a mini bar key (we don't really use it, but I like to have it just in case) and for some reason he said no to turn down service. When we went down for the wine hour I requested both. Was given the mini bar key but sadly never got the turn down service.
- Room was gorgeous! Everything was so modern and the bathroom was incredible. Our room had a huge walk in shower and a giant soaking tub that was so deep. I think a couple that was 3 times our size could sit comfortably. The room was a bit warm, but I figured it was because the sun beating down on the window in our room.
- Wine hour was nice. The living room area was a bit small, but we found a place to sit and enjoy our glasses.
-Got back to the room in the evening. It was still quite warm. Fiddled with the thermostat, but nothing help. Went back and forth for a bit the front desk about the issue. They sent someone up, but they were no help. Front desk they had no engineers on the weekends and could offer to change our room. The only issue was that because they were full capacity, it would be a downgraded room with a smaller bed and regular bathroom. My husband was very upset about this. He and I both couldn't understand how there wasn't an engineer available at the hotel when they are at full capacity. I know the person helping us was trying her best to make us happy, so we reluctantly accepted to be moved. It's was either be miserable in a fancy room, or be slightly inconvenienced and get a good nights rest. She offered us a $30 credit towards breakfast for our trouble.
-Next morning we went to the lobby for check out to ensure our rate was changed to the lower rate. Even though we decided to eat elsewhere for breakfast the person checking us out still applied the credit to our bill.

Even though we did have some issues, I do feel that the staff did they best they possibly could to make us happy. I don't feel like other hotel chains would have tried so hard. Definitely going to try a Kimpton on my next trip.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank hozee81
Reviewed May 25, 2010

This is by far the best hotel that I’ve stayed in on my three trips to the USA. It’s immaculately clean and decorated in a cool but quirky style. The free, evening wine reception (including popcorn and Nintendo Wii!) is a really nice touch. The restaurant and bar are a little pricey but I suppose that’s typical for hotels. The breakfasts are pretty good – French toast with bananas, pecans and maple syrup was lovely and the omelettes were good too.

The only negative aspect of the stay was that the fire alarm was set off on Saturday night and the rooms were evacuated . Fortunately, it was a false alarm but nevertheless many people did end up in the lobby in their PJs. It was pretty scary but the staff were surprisingly unsympathetic. I felt particularly sorry for older, frail guests who had to make it down multiple flights of stairs. I suppose these things happen but I think the staff could have handled the situation better.

I love the fact that it’s a pet-friendly hotel and I would definitely stay here again if I was in Philadelphia. The location is great – definitely in one of the nicer areas of the City. There are lots of nice restaurants and bars in easy reach.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank Sophcana
Distributi0nManager, Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Philadelphia, responded to this reviewResponded June 2, 2010

Dear Sophcana,
I want to thank you for sharing your review with us. We appreciate the compliments and I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed the room, location and the wine hour. I also want to apologize for the inconvenience of the fire alarm going off during your stay, and I'm sorry that you felt our staff could have done better to empathize with our guests. I will pass your feedback on to our team so that we can work to improve the way we handle this situation in the future. Thanks again for sharing, and we hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed May 14, 2010

...I LOVED IT at The Palomar. And I'm fairly picky. I'd like to return soon, because there are not too many choices on the horizon in The City of Brotherly Love --and that includes expensive spots like The Westin and The Four Seasons. The Palomar Hotel (one of the Kimpton Hotels) is a fresh, chic, cool-looking DOG FRIENDLY boutique hotel that has lots of little details that make one's stay...shall we say...FUN. Popcorn...wine tasting...very nice staff... little freebies...plush Frette linens and good mattress -- bedding Highly recommended.

1  Thank m00nlaff
Distributi0nManager, Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Philadelphia, responded to this reviewResponded May 19, 2010

Dear m00nlaff,
Thank you for sharing your review! I'm so glad you loved staying with us at the Palomar and we hope you'll return soon as well!

Reviewed May 8, 2010

Stayed here before my AC trip. When I checked in I asked if there were ice machines on the floor the front desk clerk said no and he would send some up, it never arrived. I ordered room service at 12:00am and it took 2 hours to arrive. The excuses were, they ran out of one of the items, dropped one of the dishes and they went to the wrong room. I thought I was having a bad dream. When the food arrived the pasta with meatballs was the smallest portion with dried up meatballs. They said it was comped however I would have had a hard time paying for that pathetic dish. I thought I would try room service the next day, I asked for a ceaser salad with prawns, they said they do ceaser differently with normal greens. I found that odd as they had that item on the menu as well, I think they had run out of ceasar salad. Anyway it was the grossest sald I have ever tasted, half of the salad was rotten and it had no dressing, so I payed $16.00 for 5 small shrimp. I probably have never felt so ripped off in my life. That was the last time I ordered rrom service again, Kimpton should give Ballys AC a call as they know how to do room service with excellent food and good value. The room (king deluxe)was really dark and small, felt like I was staying in a dungeon. The elevators were slow, had to take the stairwell a number of times. The bed was comfortable and the bathroom was nice. Philly is the coolest city and the locals are the friendliest I have ever encountered.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled solo