“Our favorite hotel in Philadelphia so far”

Kimpton Hotel Palomar Philadelphia
Ranked #5 of 88 Hotels in Philadelphia
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed July 5, 2014

By coincidence, my husband and I have stayed in three different Philadelphia hotels this year. The Palomar is our favorite.

We got a great price online, although valet parking added to the cost of our stay. To be fair, we could have saved money by parking in a local garage (the valet gave us some suggestions), but chose to pay more for the convenience.

We had two delicious meals in the hotel restaurant.

The hallmark of our stay was the consistently friendly and helpful service. For example, while we were checking in, the receptionist, seeing how hot and tired we were, went across the lobby to get us two glasses of wine from the ongoing nightly wine tasting.

We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
James_AdamsonPHL, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Philadelphia, responded to this reviewResponded August 19, 2014

Dear NewYorkJudy,

I’m delighted to hear that our staff was the hallmark of your staff. Our amenities and services are useless to our guest without awesome staff to back it up so I appreciate your feedback. We are honored to be your favorite hotel in Philly and we look forward to having you with us again!

Reviewed July 5, 2014

Great location, friendly staff, interesting decor. Valet is expensive-- a whopping $55/nt (which seems to be standard for downtown Philly). The doormen and valets were terrific, quick in and out in spite of heavy traffic and they were also informative. We had a corner room facing the street but high enough to not be bothered by traffic noise. Best part of the stay was the complimentary happy hour! Loved it, would highly recommend for an inner city stay.

Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family

Dear julesBocaRaton_Fl,

I appreciate the positive review and your feedback on our valet services. So glad you enjoyed our complimentary wine hour. We often change our selection and even offer live music so come back and see us again. You can stay as long as you’d like!

Reviewed July 3, 2014

A couple of glitches with communication but a great experience. We arrived 3 hours late because of a flight delay. Got upgraded to a fantastic room and the doorman and front desk clerk (Titus) made a lousy day better. Room was so comfortable and location is great with easy access to places. We loved it and didn't want to leave.

• Stayed: July 2014

Dear Balzac8,

I’m happy to hear that Titus and the doorman were able to turn your day around and provide a great experience. I will definitely pass on the kind words. Come back and see us again!

Reviewed July 1, 2014

As new parents, my wife and I like to take a night or two away every so often and when we do, our "go to" hotel is the Palomar. We also love its sister hotel in Old City, the Monaco, but the Rittenhouse Square Center City location of the Palomar can't be beat. The hotel itself is well maintained, stylish and fun. Most importantly, though, the staff at the Palomar always seem to go above and beyond to make us feel welcome and appreciated. if you're looking for a place to stay in Philly, the Palomar should be at the top of your list.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear WLA1,

Thanks you so much for the positive review. I am thrilled to hear that we have the amenities and awesome service that keeps you coming back. Can’t wait to see you again soon!

Reviewed June 30, 2014

I stayed for most of a week (Sun - Friday) when on a business trip. I found the room and facilities to be ok at first, but as the week wore on, things turned out to not be so great. There are just four elevators serving the 25 floors, and it was often a long wait to get up or down. I heard others complaining as well, even thinking that only one was working! (I believe they all were) Sleeping was an issue because the room AC would click on and off every couple of minutes. I reported this to the front desk, but it seems that is just how the room thermostats are. My solution was to let the room heat up before going to bed, and then crank the temp to the lowest setting, so at least the AC would run for a solid hour or so before going into the endless on/off mode. The good news regarding internet availability is that it's free there, unlike far too many "upscale" hotels. The bad news is that I forgot my laptop, and had to use the hotel's "business" room computer to access email, to the tune of $8 per 15 minute period! (really!) The coffee was good in the morning, but that was all that was offered in the morning, not even a donut (there would be perhaps an apple or an orange, but a small bite of something resembling a breakfast food would seem to be reasonable). My last item of discontent pertains to the "mini bar". My impression was that the items stocked at this hotel were the most expensive I have ever seen. Here is the breakdown on a few items:
"Late July Organic Mini Cheddar Cheese Crackers" 1.125 oz for $3.50 (that's $49.77/lb!)
All natural BBQ Potato Pop Chips 0.8oz for $4! (that's $5/oz, less than the price of silver not that many years ago!, and just $80/lb!)
3 oz bag of Mini-snickers for $9 (that's a relative bargain at $48/lb)
The best bargain was Rusty's Island Chips, 3oz for $6.25, which is only $33.33/lb, unfortunately, the bag in my mini-bar had an expiration date of 16 June 2014 (I stayed 22-27 June)
And the "Fred" water (yes, they actually had a brand of bottled water called "Fred") was $5 for 13.5 oz, which is $47.41/gallon!

I'm all for making a buck, but come on!

And the place didn't even provide a USA Today, or any other daily newspaper! The place just seemed to reek of cost-cutting and price-gouging to me. Since this was the first time I've ever stayed at a "Kimpton" hotel, it will be my last time as well.

The staff was mostly very nice, so I fault corporate for the problems with the place, which leads me to believe that ALL of the Kimptons probably have similar practices which will make me avoid them.

Room Tip: Get a low floor room to avoid elevator waits, or just use the stairs.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank Steve K
James_AdamsonPHL, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Philadelphia, responded to this reviewResponded August 20, 2014

Dear Steve K,

Thanks for taking the time to give us your feedback. We take honest comments from our guests very seriously. I would love to speak with you personally about your visit. Our conversation will help provide the training, support and direction so that we continue to exceed our guests' expectations. Please contact the hotel and ask for me.

Hope to hear from you soon,

Reviewed June 29, 2014

Wow. This is a great hotel choice for Philadelphia. The first thing one notices is the style--every aspect of the hotel looks great--lobby, halls, rooms, bathrooms, restaurants--modern, good-looking decor. But it is not aloof or unfriendly--a wine hour every day (with music on Thursday) I found to be very welcoming (and I usually not go for things like this). Every staff member was friendly and helpful.
My room was not only good looking, but clean and comfortable. A great bed (but unfortunately, not extra chair). Plenty of storage/closet space and some nice touches--a yoga/exercise mat and an umbrella in the closet and great bathrobes (one of which I bought when staying in a different Kimpton hotel--and I'm glad I did). Nothing special in the bathrooms, except plenty of counter space and a big sink and plenty of light.
Food in the restaurant and room service was excellent.
The location is perfect--very easy to walk to mid-town sites, historic sites, and museums.
But what I appreciated most was the great staff--this hotel had everything.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled solo

Dear flagfan,

I am so delighted to hear that staff interaction was a memorable part of your stay. We appreciate you taking the time to write these awesome comments and do hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed June 29, 2014 via mobile

Stayed one night at the Palomar in City Center. The location is great. Many cute restaurants, bars and boutiques nearby. The hotel restaurant was good. The room was nicely appointed with good linens, soft pillows, and fancy robes. The bathroom and shower were nice. Service was very good. My only complaint is that the 4 elevators were fairly inadequate to handle the 24 floors of hotel room traffic during peak hours. We would stay there again.

Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
James_AdamsonPHL, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Philadelphia, responded to this reviewResponded August 18, 2014

Dear Cord-69,

Thanks so much your positive review. I am glad you enjoyed our location and amenities. I am thankful for your feedback as well. We do hope to see you again in the future.