“Always a great stay”

Kimpton Hotel Palomar Philadelphia
Ranked #5 of 89 Hotels in Philadelphia
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed July 1, 2014

As new parents, my wife and I like to take a night or two away every so often and when we do, our "go to" hotel is the Palomar. We also love its sister hotel in Old City, the Monaco, but the Rittenhouse Square Center City location of the Palomar can't be beat. The hotel itself is well maintained, stylish and fun. Most importantly, though, the staff at the Palomar always seem to go above and beyond to make us feel welcome and appreciated. if you're looking for a place to stay in Philly, the Palomar should be at the top of your list.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
James_AdamsonPHL, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Philadelphia, responded to this reviewResponded August 19, 2014

Dear WLA1,

Thanks you so much for the positive review. I am thrilled to hear that we have the amenities and awesome service that keeps you coming back. Can’t wait to see you again soon!

James

Write a ReviewReviews (2,639)

Reviewed June 30, 2014

I stayed for most of a week (Sun - Friday) when on a business trip. I found the room and facilities to be ok at first, but as the week wore on, things turned out to not be so great. There are just four elevators serving the 25 floors, and it was often a long wait to get up or down. I heard others complaining as well, even thinking that only one was working! (I believe they all were) Sleeping was an issue because the room AC would click on and off every couple of minutes. I reported this to the front desk, but it seems that is just how the room thermostats are. My solution was to let the room heat up before going to bed, and then crank the temp to the lowest setting, so at least the AC would run for a solid hour or so before going into the endless on/off mode. The good news regarding internet availability is that it's free there, unlike far too many "upscale" hotels. The bad news is that I forgot my laptop, and had to use the hotel's "business" room computer to access email, to the tune of $8 per 15 minute period! (really!) The coffee was good in the morning, but that was all that was offered in the morning, not even a donut (there would be perhaps an apple or an orange, but a small bite of something resembling a breakfast food would seem to be reasonable). My last item of discontent pertains to the "mini bar". My impression was that the items stocked at this hotel were the most expensive I have ever seen. Here is the breakdown on a few items:
"Late July Organic Mini Cheddar Cheese Crackers" 1.125 oz for $3.50 (that's $49.77/lb!)
All natural BBQ Potato Pop Chips 0.8oz for $4! (that's $5/oz, less than the price of silver not that many years ago!, and just $80/lb!)
3 oz bag of Mini-snickers for $9 (that's a relative bargain at $48/lb)
The best bargain was Rusty's Island Chips, 3oz for $6.25, which is only $33.33/lb, unfortunately, the bag in my mini-bar had an expiration date of 16 June 2014 (I stayed 22-27 June)
And the "Fred" water (yes, they actually had a brand of bottled water called "Fred") was $5 for 13.5 oz, which is $47.41/gallon!

I'm all for making a buck, but come on!

And the place didn't even provide a USA Today, or any other daily newspaper! The place just seemed to reek of cost-cutting and price-gouging to me. Since this was the first time I've ever stayed at a "Kimpton" hotel, it will be my last time as well.

The staff was mostly very nice, so I fault corporate for the problems with the place, which leads me to believe that ALL of the Kimptons probably have similar practices which will make me avoid them.

Room Tip: Get a low floor room to avoid elevator waits, or just use the stairs.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank Steve K
James_AdamsonPHL, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Philadelphia, responded to this reviewResponded August 20, 2014

Dear Steve K,

Thanks for taking the time to give us your feedback. We take honest comments from our guests very seriously. I would love to speak with you personally about your visit. Our conversation will help provide the training, support and direction so that we continue to exceed our guests' expectations. Please contact the hotel and ask for me.

Hope to hear from you soon,

Reviewed June 29, 2014

Wow. This is a great hotel choice for Philadelphia. The first thing one notices is the style--every aspect of the hotel looks great--lobby, halls, rooms, bathrooms, restaurants--modern, good-looking decor. But it is not aloof or unfriendly--a wine hour every day (with music on Thursday) I found to be very welcoming (and I usually not go for things like this). Every staff member was friendly and helpful.
My room was not only good looking, but clean and comfortable. A great bed (but unfortunately, not extra chair). Plenty of storage/closet space and some nice touches--a yoga/exercise mat and an umbrella in the closet and great bathrobes (one of which I bought when staying in a different Kimpton hotel--and I'm glad I did). Nothing special in the bathrooms, except plenty of counter space and a big sink and plenty of light.
Food in the restaurant and room service was excellent.
The location is perfect--very easy to walk to mid-town sites, historic sites, and museums.
But what I appreciated most was the great staff--this hotel had everything.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled solo

Dear flagfan,

I am so delighted to hear that staff interaction was a memorable part of your stay. We appreciate you taking the time to write these awesome comments and do hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed June 29, 2014 via mobile

Stayed one night at the Palomar in City Center. The location is great. Many cute restaurants, bars and boutiques nearby. The hotel restaurant was good. The room was nicely appointed with good linens, soft pillows, and fancy robes. The bathroom and shower were nice. Service was very good. My only complaint is that the 4 elevators were fairly inadequate to handle the 24 floors of hotel room traffic during peak hours. We would stay there again.

Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
James_AdamsonPHL, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Philadelphia, responded to this reviewResponded August 18, 2014

Dear Cord-69,

Thanks so much your positive review. I am glad you enjoyed our location and amenities. I am thankful for your feedback as well. We do hope to see you again in the future.

Reviewed June 29, 2014

This was my fourth visit to this hotel. Really enjoy the location and great service.
Unfortunately they need to make there ac unit a little more useable. We went from sweating to freezing both nights. Really messed up my nights sleep. Bed could also be a little more comfy.

Dear shark75,

Glad you keep deciding to stay with us! I’m s sorry that things weren’t as comfortable as expected. Should you ever find yourself back in town, please reach out. I'd like to show you that our product can live up to your expectations.

Reviewed June 26, 2014

What an exceptional hotel! The staff were so friendly and polite and pleasant and smiled!! The housekeepers were very polite and the rooms are incredibly clean! Our wedding party family and friends stayed here and no one had a bad experience. The rooms and bathrooms are large and the towels are soft!! The coffee and fruit in the morning and the hour wine bar in the evening were added bonuses! The valet and bell captains... So accommodating! Other hotels should take note... This is what a hotel should be like! Kudos to all!

Room Tip: Loved the spa room and the suite. And don't forget the Presidential Room for brides and their br...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family

Dear Sfrankel26,

Wow. Thank you for such an awesome review. I’m thrilled to hear you enjoyed our service and amenities. Can’t wait to have you back!

Reviewed June 26, 2014

I loved staying at the Palomar hotel in DT Philly. We received first-class treatment the minute we arrived. The staff is so friendly and unassuming. The property is so cool in the way of décor and ambiance. Our room was clean, comfortable and beautifully appointed and the service (most important) was exceptional. Also, great location -- near Rittenhouse Square. I would recommend this property to anyone and everyone!

Room Tip: My room was comfortable and had great amenities. We were in a quite room.
2  Thank Jaimie L

Dear Jaimie L,

Thanks so much for staying with us and for your feedback. I'm pleased to see that you were able to enjoy the neighborhood. Come see us again!