“Wonderful Hotel”

Ranked #4 of 86 Hotels in Philadelphia
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
“Wonderful Hotel”
Reviewed April 13, 2014

I stay here frequently on business and I love everything about this hotel. It's convenient, in the middle of city center. It's in an old building, so the rooms are cute and quirky. The staff is great, and by now they know my name and speak to me when I pass through the lobby. There's a yoga mat in my room, and the yoga channel on tv. And coffee in the lobby in the morning to pick out. All around great.

Room Tip: Get one with the spa tub.
Green Features: I really appreciate Kimpton's dedication to the environment. It's part of what makes this hotel chain great.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
James_AdamsonPHL, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Philadelphia, responded to this review, April 27, 2014
Dear Jill V,

We appreciate your continued loyalty to the Hotel. I'm sure our mutual friend [yoga] Mat doesn't mind the visits either! He's a fairly new addition to our guest rooms so it's nice to hear you enjoy his company!

See you soon,
James

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (641)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed April 13, 2014 via mobile

I had theater tickets for Phantom at the Academy of Music 8pm show and decided to stay overnight on 4/11. Normal check in at most hotels is 4pm but at the Palomar it's 3pm. Upon check-in I was given my room keys and a $10 coupon for either the bar next store or the mini bar. Lamar checked me in; he was very nice and professional. Our room was on the 22nd floor right near the elevators. At first I was not happy because ai was worried about the noise but upon entering our room I noticed are beds aren't right near the door so that made me feel better. I stayed with my sister so we had 2 queen beds. There is a large closet containing ironing board and iron, two bath robes and an umbrella. I've stayed at a lot of hotels and never did they supply an umbrella. The bathroom is large and there were the usual hotel soap and shampoo plus hair dryer. The shower came with a hand held shower head in case you prefer to use that instead of the regular shower. The bed was comfortable; not a lot of bedding which is fine with me. The 2 pillows are very soft; would have liked something less mushy. There is a 36 inch tv and mini bar. The mini beer didn't have many choices but we did get a club soda and water which didn't cost us anything because we used our $10 coupon. There is a table with outlets for various computers/tablets. There is also an iHome docking bay on the shared bedside table. There is plenty of drawer space. The one thing I would suggest is a coffee maker. Even though they have complimentary coffee in the lobby I would prefer to have my coffee in my room.

Since it was a late night for us we decided to get breakfast in our room. We completed the menu and requested breakfast be delivered between 9am and 9:30am (it arrived at 9am). I had pancakes with sausage on side. The pancakes were delish. My sister ordered scrambled eggs with bacon: her dish came with potatoes. We also ordered a small pot of coffee and one glass of tomato juice. My sister enjoyed her eggs which also came with 4 pieces of toast. The small coffee serves 2 people 2 full cups a piece. The juice was served in an ice tea glass. There is a $5.00 delivery charge and 18% gratuity but even with these charges our bill was only $38. I couldn't believe. I stayed at other hotels where a meal like this would be double that amount and not taste as good.

I usually like to express checkout but since we had the coupon we checked out at the front desk. The woman was very pleasant and asked if we enjoyed our stay. When I told her it was great she said "I'm pleased to hear it". That's customer service for you. I'm so very glad I chose to stay here and plan on several return trips in the near future.

Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
5 Thank PhillyJaxs
Dear PhillyJaxs,

I'm so thrilled to read you enjoyed your first visit with us. Thank for you sharing your experience. There are a number of great shows in this summer's theater line-up too. Hope we see you soon!

Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed April 13, 2014

There is much to recommend about this hotel. The best is the staff. They are some of the most professional and sincere we have ever encountered. Full marks for management for hiring, training and motivating. The afternoon wine tasting (with accompanying snacks - especially the truffle popcorn) sets this apart from most hotels. It has a funky cosy vibe that is very welcoming and inviting. The restaurant off the lobby is excellent. Very good location.

However I don't believe all the positive reviews on this hotel are being truly balanced. The hotel is starting to look ever so slightly "frayed". You know when notice the little things: the bumpers under the glass on the coffee table (that are to prevent the top from wobbling) are missing, up in the corner of the ceiling of the bathroom the paint was peeling, the mattress (which was hard) has begun to sag?

The hotel is "pet friendly". There were several dogs in the property while we we there. I do not object to people travelling with their pets but I expect to be given the option of being on a no pet floor / no pet room. My associate and his wife were with us (as the trip was primarily for business). He suffers from allergies. At the business meeting the first morning neither of us could figure out why he was in such rough condition, until we realized he was staying in a room that had had a dog in it the night before,

Finally - and while not directly related to the hotel - I would advise asking their housekeeping if they have changed the dry cleaner, since April 13, 14. I had two of three shirts damaged. The hotel was very apologetic and had them repaired and sent them by Fedex to our next hotel. This was appreciated - but without giving too much detail about the damage I would be very cautious of using their service.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank sharrob
Dear Sharrob,

Thank you for the wonderful comments about our staff. We do genuinely try to deliver a superior level of customer service. Also, we are so sorry about the shirt situation. I have personally discussed your challenges with our provider, who does generally do a wonderful job for both the guest and employee dry cleaning needs. I do hope the repair was to your satisfaction. Please feel welcome to reach out to me directly if you find yourself back in Philadelphia.

Reviewed April 12, 2014

I stayed at the Palomar one night, Friday April 11, 2014. I was attending a 8:00 PM show at the Academy of Music. My sister had picked the hotel. This was our first time here. As soon as you went through the door you felt that you were going to be treated like royalty. The room had a very nice decor and was clean. Any item you thought you would need was provided. They even had an umbrella in the closet. I do wish they had a coffee maker in the room even though they do provide free coffee in the lobby. My only complaint with the room is the bed pillows. They were too soft. We had breakfast in our room which was ordered the night before by putting our request on the room door. We had asked for it to be delivered between 9:00 to 9:30 AM and it was there by 9:02. The food was good and not expensive. I had scrambled eggs, bacon and white toast which cost $9.00. I have been to other hotels where it cost $20.00 for the same in Philly. I would surely stay here again and would recommend it to family and friends.

Room Tip: Not many rooms on each floor.
Green Features: I like that they provided a recycle bin in your room.
1 Thank Liverbow
Dear Liverbow,

Thank you for sharing your experience. I'm pleased to see we were able to deliver a great customer experience for you. We appreciate your recommendation and thank you for your business.

See you soon,
Atlanta
Reviewed April 11, 2014

...is what my family calls this hotel. My oldest daughter and I came 3+ years ago for a college visit and it was fabulous - earning it's name. My youngest daughter and I came back for another college visit and found the Palomar to be everything we remembered. What? The fabulous belgian waffle place is gone? Oh well, how about a donut shop less than a block away that sells delicious and unusual donuts. Need a drink and a snack- try truffle oil covered popcorn with a glass (or two) of red wine at happy hour. Location is terrific, staff could not be better. Good workout room, great vibe in general. My daughter loved that pets were not just welcomed, but had their own area as well. Try the "hotel" restaurant - Square 1682, great food excellent staff. And take a look at the 2nd floor lobby - original tile work from when the building was constructed in 1929, beautiful.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher level for a better view of Philly
1 Thank Weekend_Traveler55
Weekend_Traveler55,

Thank you for coming back to us! Great to see this stay lived up to the memories from your first. We'd love to be your home away from home If your daughter ends up coming to Philly for school.

Cheers,
Newport Beach, California
Reviewed April 10, 2014

Stayed 3 days while in Philadelphia for a graduation. The task was tough since I also took my wife, mother-in-law and sister-in-law. Palomar greatly exceeded my expectations in every regard. From the very moment we arrived, we were treated like family by doormen, bellmen, front desk staff, etc. In fact, before I even handed over my credit card, they had placed a glass of wine in my hand and welcomed me. They put on a great happy hour every late afternoon that is well-attended by guests and quite fun.
Our room had a nice view, was well-appointed and clean.
The Palomar will be my choice in Philly and is very well-priced for the value it delivers.

Dear Joe S,

Great to see you and ladies had such a good visit! Thank you for selecting us and we can't wait to welcome you back for a second visit. We appreciate the good review too!

Reviewed April 9, 2014 via mobile

If you are looking for a fun hotel in Philly, look no further. The Palomar is a chic hotel in the Rittenhouse location sure to please even the pickiest guests. Try to check in before the 5 pm wine happy hour where you can enjoy as many glasses of red or white before 6 pm. The lobby attracts a crowd of all ages from tourists to locals. The bar is usually buzzing with fun even on weekday nights and the food in the restaurant is superb. Try to meet Dee the bartender and let her create an amazing cocktail for you!!
The rooms are spacious and super clean, and if you sign up as for the in touch program, you will get free mini bar goodies.
The area is filled with great restaurants and boutiques, and Kimptons are generally the best hotels you can find! The front desk staff are all gorgeous and smart ! I look forward to checking in and seeing such a great group! I am a regular Tuesday night guest and I absolutely can't wait to check in every week.

• Stayed April 2014
Guestintouch,

Let's be real here - you're the best! Thanks for reviewing us and for continuing to be part of our great family. See you Tuesday!

Cheers!