“Unfriendly and unaccommodating staff PERIOD”

Kimpton Hotel Palomar Philadelphia
Ranked #6 of 89 Hotels in Philadelphia
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed February 9, 2014 via mobile

Staff was unbelievably rude. Wine tasting was a good idea but not when there are hundreds of people in line and staff knew nothing about the wines. Front desk and manager were so rude when a simple room accommodation was requested.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank Brian h
James_AdamsonPHL, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Philadelphia, responded to this reviewResponded February 19, 2014

Brian H,

I am incredibly disheartened to learn of your experience. Please accept my sincerest apologies. If you have a moment, please reach out to me directly on 215-525-9461. I'd like the opportunity to hear the details of your stay and to find a way to turn this around.

Looking forward to hearing from you,

James

Write a ReviewReviews (2,640)

Reviewed February 8, 2014

We arrived on a Friday afternoon - early check-in - because we had tickets for a show that night at the Kimmel Center (a short walk away). The valet staff was extremely friendly and attentive. The lobby is inviting, but crowded given the fireplace and the home-like atmosphere that attracts one to "hang out" there and relax. The front desk staff was friendly, as was nearly every staff member we encountered during our stay. We extended our stay within an hour of arriving, and were glad we did.

The evening "wine tasting" was a nice touch, with a cool vibe of relaxing-in-the-city and folks having a good time. We had an excellent pre-theater dinner at the restaurant, and would recommend it to non-guests as one of the better hotel restaurants where you get what you expect and don't over pay for it.

We reserved a King Spa room. Not overly large, but it was very clean and the extra price for the air-jet tub (spa) for two was well worth it. The bathroom was smallish except for the large walk-in, glass enclosed shower and tub area, with the tub behind the shower. It was perfect for some long relaxation, after spending the afternoon walking around the city. We almost missed our dinner reservations that night.

The Palomar provided a wonderful respite from our typical Monday-Friday life... for that weekend, especially since we live not far from Philadelphia.

Room Tip: We stayed on the 17th floor in a south-facing room. No city view, but quieter on that side. We lived...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank RJBizzle

RJBizzle,

We're glad you did too! Great to see you were able to enjoy our space and relax for the weekend. Thank you for staying with us and sharing this great review.

See you soon,

Reviewed February 8, 2014

As soon as I walked in the door, I had the distinct feeling that this hotel was cooler than me :)

The decor throughout the hotel, including the lobby and guest rooms, is very hip and modern, but also luxurious. There were animal print robes in the closet, and I was impressed to see that the belts on the robes had been inserted through the belt loops rather than just tied around - that kind of attention to detail was apparent throughout my stay. There was also a yoga mat provided for guest use in the closet as well as a complimentary umbrella. I was also impressed by a little sign listing all kinds of things that the hotel will provide guests for free if asked, like Chapstick - it all felt very above and beyond your typical hotel. I felt very spoiled throughout my stay.

What really made the best impression on me was the staff, who were all extremely friendly and courteous, while being professional and efficient. The bell men upon arrival were crazy nice, the check-in guy was over the top helpful, the woman who assisted me with my room service order (tasty duck breast) was awesome and even called to make sure I had enjoyed my meal afterward, and the bell guy as I left noticed I did not have an umbrella and gave me one as I was leaving.

I have nothing but rave reviews for this place, and I will definitely be back on future stays in Philadelphia.

2  Thank khp_infairfax

Dear Khp-infairfax,

Wow! What an awesome review, thank you for sharing! We certainly pride ourselves on fine tuning the details. I'm thrilled to see we left such a positive impression on you and look forward to welcoming you back.

Cheers,

Reviewed February 6, 2014

The place starts with a very interesting visual display from the moment you walk in. It really hits you when you go into the elevators, where they've put up life-size paintings of windows with shades, and fireplaces. Awesome.

In the rooms the visual play continues, with the addition of very nice amenities; very nice and modern appointments, all in good repair. Other welcoming items were animal print robes, and even a yoga mat for exercising in the room. A for anyone that thinks about how you look when you go out the door, they had a very nice full length mirror.

The only minor nits:
* The room I had was small; very much in the European hotel room size category. But not a problem.
* The bed was a bit firm for my taste. Nice linens though.

I would definitely stay here again on a trip to central Philly.

Dan B,

Sometimes riding in an elevator can be a bit awkward, we hope the artwork inside ours help to strike up conversation! Thanks for sharing your experience. Come back and see us next time you're in town.

Best,

Reviewed February 5, 2014

I work in center city and had to stay "in town" due to impending weather, was supposed to stay at another hotel (across the street from Palomar....)but it was sold out. Glad I ended up at the Palomar. High level, quality service in every way, rooms were plenty in size, clean, comfortable and "smart" with lighting, electrical outlets, bathroom amentities, layout, etc - all that stuff makes a difference and a great impression. And yes, wine event was a nice touch - brought it back to my room! Had breakfast in the AM, excellent waitress, manager on site, food was well prepared and pricing reasonably. Kevin at the front desk gave extrodinary service and signed me up for the rewards program. Center city offers alot of choices - I have found my new fav place to stay.

Room Tip: had a corner room, not sure if it was bigger, but no sound problems and great layout

Dear amsandbeach,

We're glad you stayed too! I'll be sure to share your comments with Kevin, he is certainly wonderful and we are happy to have him. We appreciate you taking the time to share this review and look forward to welcoming you back.

Cheers,

Reviewed February 3, 2014

Wonderful service from the moment you arrive until your departure.
The rooms are very comfortable and spotless. They offer a wine happy hour every evening from 5:00 until 6:00 with wonderful snacks which is complimentary.
Beautiful decor and incredible staff, will always stay at a Kimpton Hotel!

• Stayed: January 2014

Dear Wyandottegirl,

Thank you for your loyalty! We appreciate you taking the time to share this review. Come back and see us soon for another relaxing night away.

Best,

Reviewed February 3, 2014 via mobile

I love the Kimpton Hotel group. The Palomar was cozy and perfect for an overnight birthday stay. I had a deluxe suite and it was very comfy. The staff, the property.. everything was great. My boyfriend and I took Amtrak from NYC, 90mins to relax and enjoy a quiet evening. We enjoyed the restaurant and the wine reception. The truffle popcorn was so yummy!!! Perfect birthday for me.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends

Kim E,

Happy belated! We thrilled you chose to celebrate with us. Hopefully it becomes a tradition and we'll see you next year!

Regards,