“Warm and inviting”

Kimpton Hotel Palomar Philadelphia
Ranked #5 of 89 Hotels in Philadelphia
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed January 9, 2014

It was a cold January day as I made my way down the wind-whipped streets of Philadelphia, heading toward the Hotel Palomar near Rittenhouse Square. From about half a block away, I saw the awning with Ben Franklin's friendly face and knew I was close. When I walked in, the fireplace to my right was a happy sight, and I sat for a moment, enjoying both the fire and the surroundings. This place makes you want to just sit in the lobby and lose yourself in the glow of the fire. The staff was fun and great to deal with as I checked in, and they were able to find a high floor for me (even though I was initially given a lower room). The room was generally quiet (trucks nearby during the night broke the quiet...not the hotel's fault) and a pleasure to spend time in. I recommend this for its location, its staff, and its ambiance.

Room Tip: I'd suggest the side away from the alley, but the "alley side" wasn't awful.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
James_AdamsonPHL, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Philadelphia, responded to this reviewResponded January 15, 2014

Dear Thisishal,

Wish I was by the fireplace right now!! Thanks for such great feedback and recommendation.

Hope to see you again soon,

James

Write a ReviewReviews (2,639)

Reviewed January 9, 2014

It does not get any more "central location" than this hotel, yet the rooms are quiet and you cannot hear the noise of the city. The reception works very effectively: the place is busy (perhaps thanks to its aggressive marketing and advertising campaigns) but the reception seems to deal with the people professionally and quickly.
Checking in was hassle-free. The lobby is nice and inviting, there is free hot chocolate (by the way, there is free 5 o'clock wine) and this attracts a lot of people to this otherwise cozy lobby, perhaps too many, so beware of this hour!
This hotel runs many promotions and I would recommend either using TripAdvisor or other major hotel reservation sites (except for hotels.com - they have there own policies about promotions, I guess) and you will get this deal or that: discount on a stay, a $1 breakfast or something else advertised through the online booking systems. However, you need to book the deal at the time you make the hotel reservations (and sometimes these deals are not available on the hotel website, so search online!) We got some discount on our room and then I saw a $1 breakfast promotion right before we came to Philadelphia. Well, it does not apply. However, the hotel staff gave us two coupons for a free continental breakfast. This is a great breakfast, but it turns out you can actually upgrade to a regular breakfast at the restaurant itself (we did not choose to do it). However, beware that the portions are huge and one regular breakfast may be enough for two people. Price-wise it is very reasonable, too, especially considering location.
The room was nice, with all the amenities that one would expect.
I would recommend making parking inquiries before you get to the hotel unless yo don't mind paying around $40 per night. Parking downtown Philly can be hard. DO NOT leave your car "I was away for just 2 minutes" because you will be ticketed. Read the parking signs on the street: paid metered parking has different hours in different places, it is even 24 hours in certain spots downtown. We parked at $17 per day lot located 4 blocks away. Patriot parking around 21 and Sansom streets, no in and out privileges, though.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Dmitri K

DmitriPortland_OR,

Great tips! Keep in mind, if you ever find a better deal on a different website, give us a call! As long as we can see what you see, we'll match it. Thanks for taking the time to detail out your experience. We're glad you enjoyed your time with us.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed January 8, 2014

I recently stayed at the Palomar for one night for business. I was given a great room with a fantastic view, but honestly, the most impressive part of the hotel was the service. The front desk staff provided really great service throughout my short stay. They gave me great restaurant recommendations for a work dinner and really bent over backwards to make me feel comfortable. One desk agent in particular (I forget his name, but he worked in the evening) went above and beyond in helping me out with my requests. Overall, the staff was exceptional and deserve the high rating.
But in general, the hotel is really well located, the rooms are beautiful and comfortable and the service is impeccable. I would definitely stay here again and would highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: King room was really comfortable
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
James_AdamsonPHL, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Philadelphia, responded to this reviewResponded January 14, 2014

Labellhu,

Thanks for all the wonderful comments about our staff. I'll be sure to forward your review on to them. Glad you felt comfortable in our home. Hopefully we'll see you again next time you're in town.

Cheers,

Reviewed January 8, 2014

I really enjoyed my stay at the Palomar hotel over the Christmas 2013 holiday. The staff was great, the decor was fun, and the amenities down to the leopard print bath robe were awesome. Also really enjoyed the free WiFi, the hot chocolate, and the cocktail hour. The location was perfect too as you can easily walk to everything and it was a short cab ride from the Amtrak station. I would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: This is a pet friendly hotel
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends

Rar1126,

Thanks for staying with us over the Christmas Holiday. We're thrilled to hear you enjoyed your time in Philadelphia. Looking forward to having you back soon.

Best,

Reviewed January 8, 2014

The Palomar Hotel in Philly is our anniversary getaway. We found this gem about 5 years ago. What makes it special? The staff! Upon arrival the doorman greets you with a warm hello and a smile. "Where are you folks from?" And from there it continues - check in - very smooth -" if there is anything I can do for you, just ask"- Kevin. Jonathan, our bellhop - service with a smile. We had a burnt bulb in a lamp upon entering the room. Jonathan said he would take care of it - 5 minutes later - a friendly maintenance gentleman was at the door - problem solved. When making our reservation I indicated we would be celebrating our anniversary. I also mentioned we had stayed at the Palomar before and were very pleased with the service. Upon our arrival we were informed that our room was upgraded with complimentary champagne and chocolate covered strawberries. That was above and beyond! Thank you Ariella, our concierge. Then there was Eric in the restaurant, square 1682 - what a pleasant young man - wonderful conversation. He has an interest in New Zealand - future vintner perhaps - we wish him good luck. Oh, the food was also excellent! I could go on, but one gets my point - the Palomar staff are very caring and take great pride in providing wonderful service. We heartily recommend the Palomar Hotel!

• Stayed: January 2014
2  Thank chipnjean

Dear Chipnjean,

You become family once you walk through the front doors! Glad to hear you had an enjoyable anniversary. Hope to make it a tradition!

Kind Regards,

Reviewed January 8, 2014

I have lovely friends in Philadelphia, but I live at the shore. So I got a room with a Fuji tub for two nights. I bathed, shopped, entertained, had room service meals delivered, and generally lived like a queen during my entire stay. Everyone was extremely gracious, kind, and professional. I took my 2 booboo dogs, and we all felt like we were on an exotic vacation. My friends really enjoyed the view and the hospitality. Thank you Philadelphia Palomar!

Room Tip: King Spa- you will never want to go home!
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo

Clifford C,

I'm thrilled to hear you were able to relax throughout your stay. The fuji tubs certainly make for a peaceful afternoon sometimes! We appreciate your recommendation.

See you again,

Reviewed January 7, 2014

The staff at this hotel are excellent. From the front desk to the bell guy, everyone is extremely personable. The hotel is beautiful and in a great location, many restaurants and bars within walking distance!

• Stayed: December 2013

T2485,

Thanks for the great feedback! Sounds like we'll be seeing you again next time. Can't wait!

Regards,