“Good hotel great location”

Kimpton Hotel Palomar Philadelphia
Ranked #5 of 88 Hotels in Philadelphia
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed September 29, 2013

This was a good hotel, staff were friendly and helpful. The rooms were a good size.
The rooms were clean and quiet, although there was holes in bed sheets and at $ 265 AUD a night not what I would expect. The bed was very comfortable. Hotel was in a great location. No coffee or tea making provisions in room.
Would stay in hotel again.

3  Thank Holidays097
James_AdamsonPHL, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Philadelphia, responded to this reviewResponded October 18, 2013

Dear Holidays097,

Thanks for staying with us! Super sorry about the bed sheets, I will certainly review your comments with the team as we also don't expect that! Glad to see you enjoyed your visit! Come back and see us next time!

Reviewed September 29, 2013

I spent two nights at the Palomar in Philidelphia. It has the usual Kimpton charm and style, including free wine hour and bicycles for use complete with helmets and locks. The negatives - Elevators can be VERY slow at peak times and there is only one ice machine for the whole Hotel. Otherwise the location, staff and accommodations are above average.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Borglum

Borglum,

Thanks for continuing to stay with Kimpton! We appreciate you taking the time to write the review. Hopefully the elevator wait time didn't take up too much of your day! We hope to see you and your friends again soon!

Best,

Reviewed September 28, 2013

We stayed here for two nights as part of a visit to east coast cities and found this hotel to be a great advertisement for the Kimpton Group . Every member of staff we met was helpful and friendly , the room was modern and of a good size and the situation was perfect for sightseeing . As usual the wine hour was much enjoyed by all . We stayed at three Kimpton Hotels on our trip and without exception all were very good but this one was the star . We are Kimpton converts .

2  Thank travelboy72
James_AdamsonPHL, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Philadelphia, responded to this reviewResponded September 29, 2013

travelboy72,

THANKS! We love our sister hotels but it's awesome to see you found us to be the best of the bunch during this visit! We value your business and are thrilled to know that we'll be welcoming you back to the Kimpton Family soon.

Until then,

Reviewed September 26, 2013

I'm a Kimpton addict, and this hotel was no different. Quick check-in, free mini-bar goods, and of course their awesome free wine happy hour (which included truffled popcorn!).

The only reason I don't give this 5 stars is the valet parking situation was chaotic and the rooms are tiny.

The valet part may not their fault entirely, but we didn't really save any time doing valet because the road was so backed up, and we had to stressfully sit in front of a fire hydrant waiting for an overworked attendant.

The rooms are also super tiny. Or at least our room was. It's in a building with cool architecture, so some rooms are on corners, and this makes for an interesting floor plan. I wouldn't recommend going here on a first vacation with someone you are dating because the bathroom is right next to the bed.

Those small negatives aside, this place is awesome, and the staff, location, and amenities, including a great bar downstairs are amazing.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank ry0ohki

ry0ohki,

Thanks for continuing to travel and stay in Kimpton Hotels. We are thrilled to see the Palomar Philadelphia lived up to your expectations. So sorry about the traffic in front of the Hotel. Due to our space restrictions, the front entrance can get a little backed up during rush hour. Hopefully it didn't cause too much of an inconvenience on your visit. As you mentioned, our layout is unique. We opened roughly four years ago after a complete renovation of the Architect's Building which was originally built in 1929. Next time you find yourself in Philly try booking one of the upgraded room types for a bit more space. Thanks again for taking the time to review us!

Reviewed September 24, 2013

i had such a wonderful time at Hotel Palomar, I couldn't ask for much more. I originally booked for 2 nights but ended up extending twice and when it was time to go home, I didn't want to leave.

My journey to this hotel was a tough one. I was driving up from DC (not a tough drive) for an event in Philadelphia and the car broke down on 95N (at 10:00pm!!). I'd actually considered not continuing the trek and just going back down to DC, but I'm glad I kept my reservation. Remembering other reviewer's comments and seeing their photos inspired me to just GO and make the best of the trip and I'm glad I did.

FIRST IMPRESSION: From the moment I arrived, EVERYONE was exceptionally nice and not the fake nice, they were funny and attentive and conversational. The doorman was nice, the front desk people were nice, and the bellhop was nice. During check-in, I'd mentioned what had happened to me on the way there and they were genuinely kind and even joked with me about it, which helped me to laugh and get my mind off of it. I also liked the fact that the hotel is not harshly bright, but more dim and subdued.

ROOM: My room was clean, the decor was modern yet warm; I felt like I was in my own cozy, loft-like apartment. The bed was very comfortable; I slept very well. If you like mini bars, then this one will not disappoint. There were various beers and spirits. I don't remember the brand of red wine, but it was good. I totally raided the mini-bar. The snacks were not the run-of-the-mill vending machine snacks. I totally demolished the yummy dark chocolate bar and their chips and nuts. Maybe I'm just greedy, but the mini bar was great!

The closet was nice and big. I opted for a city-view room, which didn't have THAT MUCH of a view, but it still had enough so that I could kind of see what was going on outside (perhaps if I'd have had an even higher floor then the "city view" would have be more vast). I don't know what the non city-view rooms look like or what the view is of - maybe an inner courtyard?

The bathroom was another feature that I loved. I thought the sink area was good and roomy. I liked that the bathroom light was dimmable. There were enough sockets for my hair tools and it was clean, modern and new looking. My only complaint was that my sink emptied slowly and backed up when I ran the water for a while (like to brush my teeth). I never told them about it, so I can't take too many points off for it.

SERVICE & FOOD: I only ordered room service once (brunch salad w/shrimp and grilled veggies) and it was good. The bar/restaurant was excellent. I thought the drinks were VERY good at the bar. I had dinner in the restaurant (Square 1682) and I thoroughly enjoyed my food (I had the halibut and ordered some of the mashed potatoes on the side). Finally, the housekeeper was AWESOME. Sheesh, I wish I could remember her name (I think it began with a 'D'), but she was so nice. Apparently the front desk had informed several employees of my ordeal in traveling to the hotel and I was surprised when she made reference to it and was so apologetic about the situation, as if she had control over it. I just felt like the customer service was stellar at the hotel. Again I have NO complaints.

NOTE: I didn't have to pay for parking at the hotel, as my car never finished making the trip up to the hotel. However, know that parking at this hotel is somewhere around $35 a day - as are ALL of the hotels in downtown Philly. It's not just them, it's ALL of the hotels. That would be the ONLY good thing that came out of the car not making it to the hotel!

Room Tip: If you want a window to the outside world, I'd pay a little bit more and get the city view room.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Val N
James_AdamsonPHL, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Philadelphia, responded to this reviewResponded September 25, 2013

Val N,

WOW! What an awesome review! Thanks so much for taking the time to share your experience. I will most certainly share and celebrate these comments with the team. We are so glad you chose to continue our way even after the car broke down. Your Palomar family hopes to see you again soon!

Reviewed September 24, 2013

I have stayed at Kimpton hotels in NYC in the past. Great properties with upscale service and amenities. When I arrived to the Philly Palomar Kimpton, I expected the same, but they took the service to another level. The Valet person was extremely friendly, our car was whisked away in a moment and we were at the check in desk. I had made my reservation online, so the check in process was less than 5 minutes. The young man at the desk was courteous and was full of information about the city. Offered ideas about restaurants and places to see and visit. Our room was beautiful, not a great view but it was a last minute booking, so it was understandable. The beds were comfortable, room was clean, it had a fresh smell. Felt great. The next day we had vouchers for breakfast at the lobby restaurant, which is voted one of the top restaurants in Philadelphia. Food was amazing, service was good. Our checkout was seamless and the manager greeted us and asked about our trip and specifically about our stay at the Kimpton. It made me feel like they really wanted to know what I thought of their service and hotel and I really appreciated that. For a business to go above and beyond the norm is to ensure its long term success.

Room Tip: Just ask for a better view, I know I will next time
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Riaz R

Dear Riaz R,

Thanks for selecting us as your Hotel choice during your last minute trip to Philly! I'm so pleased to read these great comments and to see that the staff delivered a seamless experience for you and your guest on so many different levels. Please know you always have a home here with us!

Hope to see you soon,

Reviewed September 24, 2013

Amazing service, great amenities, close to everything, and more.
Love to stay at This hotel and recommend it to family and friends.
The Palomar is the perfect combo of a getaway and a feeling of being at home.
The spa tub room is always my favorite.

Room Tip: High floor - spa tub room worth the extra

KTGus,

The spa tub is my favorite too! We sincerely appreciate your reccomendations and value your business! Thanks for reviewing us so positively. We can't wait to have you back next time!

See you soon,