“Doing it right”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Atlanta, Georgia
“Doing it right”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

I must say two things in advance. First I travel approximately 200,000 air miles per year so I get around and two, whenever possible Kimpton properties are my go to destination of choice and the Palomar is a perfect example of why.

If you’re looking for the chain store hotel where every room at every hotel looks exactly the same with twenty something staff who can’t even spell service, then don’t stay at a Kimpton. On the other hand if you appreciate excellent service and staff who go out of their way to make your stay enjoyable then book a Kimpton and book the Palomar when in PA.

The hotel location is ideal for business or pleasure with ample restaurants, café’s and shopping within walking distance. You will find unique rooms and décor that are exceptionally clean well maintained. The staff from the doorman to the front desk clerk to the restaurant waiter all exude exceptional service and a desire to help. If you need something just ask and it will be delivered.

On my most recent trip my flight was severely delayed and I was concerned that since I would be getting in after midnight that my reservation might be canceled so I called ahead to let them know…no problem obviously but here is the kicker. The clerk asked if I would like some dinner upon arrival and even though the restaurant would be closed she took my order and there in my room at 1:30 am was dinner (still hot) and a glass of wine…WOW!!!

The hotel restaurant/bar will more than meet your needs and it’s a rather popular place with the locals for an after work or late night drink or meal. You will find mostly professionals from around the area or those who are staying at the hotel so it’s a nice place to relax and hang-out.

The net/net, the Palomar and Kimpton hotels are doing what every other hotel chain is not…they focus first and foremost on the customer, providing a unique experience at each property, supported by staff who want to impress you

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Mark N
James_AdamsonPHL, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Philadelphia, responded to this review, September 18, 2013
Mark N,

Wow - what an awesome review! Thanks for telling this story and continuing to allow us to be your home away from home. We sincerely appreciate your business and love having you under our roof. See you next time!

James

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (640)
Paris
Reviewed September 2, 2013

The title says it all. We were lucky enough to have a great rate so the price/performance was incredible. Location is nice: heart of center city Philly - where really you'd want to be for going out & shopping.
If I have to nitpick: it's a little noisy but other than that, honestly a very good hotel.

Charliep,

We appreciate you taking the time to share this review. If you haven't already, check out Kimpton InTouch for upcoming promotions and other benefits.

Hope to see you again,

Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed August 30, 2013

As others have said, the staff is pleasant and polite. The furnishings are new and modern and the rooms are clean. Colour scheme is predominantly beige and lilac/purple with white trim, furnishings with darker beige wood and chrome legs, and interesting cut-pile carpeting. The "city view" was nothing to write home about (huge church roof).

The bathroom was particularly nice witth large marble countertop around the sink and a glass shelf below, which made for good visuals. However the second day we were there the maid forgot to leave a bathmat.

Also the fridge was not working. I mentioned this at the desk and they had someone come up to the room within five minutes to fix the problem.

The air conditioning was not loud, although other reviewers complained. Maybe they have fixed it.

Our room had only one chair for two people. I expect they would have sent another one up if we had asked, However, it seems to be self evident that you would want two chairs for two people.

The public areas tended to be quite noisy, with loud music coming from the bar/restaurant. We had breakfast there twice, which was pretty good. We did not eat there at night because the eating area was small and not very welcoming. The bar seemed popular with young people.

One of the best and most original features of the hotel was, strangely enough, the elevators, which were "decorated" with windows, fireplaces, a statue of Ben Franklin, a lady in 18th century dress with a moustache drawn on. Whimsical.

We would stay there again, particularly on account of the location.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Glebeite
James_AdamsonPHL, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Philadelphia, responded to this review, August 31, 2013
Glebeite,

Thank you for your feedback. We are thrilled to see you enjoyed your visit with us. We can't wait to welcome you back again!

Kind Regards,

Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed August 27, 2013

Staff were friendly, hotel was in a great location downtown, and the room was very nice and clean. Bring your own pillow if you want to get a good night's sleep though. Bed wasn't very comfortable either but I think it was mostly due to the crappy, cheap pillows. I expected a little more luxury for the price but overall it was good.

Room Tip: King bed with whirlpool tub
StephPowers,

Thanks for staying and for writing this review. I'm pleased to see you found the staff friendly and the Hotel clean. I apologize for the trouble with the pillows. Thanks though for your feedback, we're certainly going to look into this further.

Best,

New York City, New York
Reviewed August 26, 2013

I stay at this property all the time, including last week. It is my favorite hotel in Philly. Why? Let me count the ways.

1. Friendly and Efficient. The front desk checked me in in record time. I challenge you to find a friendlier and more enthusiastic staff anywhere. And if the employees are faking it, they deserve Oscars, as everyone comes across as sincere and helpful.

2. Design. The hotel has a wonderful design aesthetic -- fun, clever, irreverent, modern, interesting. Nothing boring or dull about the decor here. Yet the rooms are comfortable and cheerful. Plus, they upgraded me to a suite -- sweet!

3. Clean. The housekeeping staff keeps things spic and span.

4. Location. That sweet spot between Rittenhouse and the Central Business District.

Of course, all is not perfection. Some of the furniture is getting worn (for example, I noticed a button missing from the sofa), and the bedroom pocket door was peeling in one place. The intricate coffee tables are stained in their crevices. The gym is minute. Also, I wish the beds were as comfortable as they are stylish.

But the hotel gets most of the details just right, like the super-dark blackout curtains, the pleather trim on the furniture, and the animal-print robes. And, though not priced like a luxury hotel, the Palomar offers some nice luxury features, like turndown service (though it is a bit erratic), terrific Etro bath products, free wifi, free newspaper in the morning, and a minibar credit, (always a nice little perk).

It all adds up to a happy vibe and a happy experience.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank andrew l
Andrew L,

Thanks for writing this review. You've become like family to most of us and we value your opinion and appreciate your business! Feel free to reach out to me directly if I can ever be of any assistance during your time with us.

Happy Labor Day!

LBI, NJ
Reviewed August 26, 2013

Absolutely loved this lovely gem of a hotel in Philadelphia! Quick check in, wine hour, clean, modern and funky rooms, tasty breakfast and perfect location. Can't wait to return on our next overnight stay.

Sundog249,

We also can't wait for you to return! Thanks for your continued loyalty and for sharing these comments about your stay.

See you soon,

Cape May Court House, New Jersey
Reviewed August 25, 2013

My wife and I visited the hotel for our "Mini-Moon" and could not have been more impressed. From the valet, to the check in, to check out, I cannot think of one thing I would have asked to have been done better! We arrived at the hotel late on a Friday afternoon, and were quickly checked in. I had mentioned on the phone when confirming reservations that it was our mini honeymoon and upon arrival we were congratulated by the staff, a very nice touch. Our room, although a little small, was great. Very clean, modern, and with cool decor. The staff left a bottle of champagne chilling along with a few chocolate covered strawberries which was very much a surprise, but one of the many little things that separate this hotel from others we have stayed. We did stop in the bar a few times and the staff was very friendly and attentive. A nice crowd was there and it had a really cool, classy vibe. We really had a great time and were treated like royalty. We will definitely be coming back!

Room Tip: The queem city view room we had was great, but not much of a view. The bathroom is a little tiny so...
1 Thank Cachookie
Cachookie,

Congrats!! Thanks for allowing us to take care of you during such a special weekend. Glad too see the staff was able to make it special for you. Our bar, Square1682 is certainly a great spot - in fact, this week USA Today voted us "Best Hotel Bar"!

See you soon,