“Good hotel but uncomfortable pillows”

Kimpton Hotel Palomar Philadelphia
Ranked #5 of 88 Hotels in Philadelphia
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed August 27, 2013

Staff were friendly, hotel was in a great location downtown, and the room was very nice and clean. Bring your own pillow if you want to get a good night's sleep though. Bed wasn't very comfortable either but I think it was mostly due to the crappy, cheap pillows. I expected a little more luxury for the price but overall it was good.

Room Tip: King bed with whirlpool tub
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
James_AdamsonPHL, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Philadelphia, responded to this reviewResponded August 31, 2013

StephPowers,

Thanks for staying and for writing this review. I'm pleased to see you found the staff friendly and the Hotel clean. I apologize for the trouble with the pillows. Thanks though for your feedback, we're certainly going to look into this further.

Best,

James

Write a ReviewReviews (2,622)

Reviewed August 26, 2013

I stay at this property all the time, including last week. It is my favorite hotel in Philly. Why? Let me count the ways.

1. Friendly and Efficient. The front desk checked me in in record time. I challenge you to find a friendlier and more enthusiastic staff anywhere. And if the employees are faking it, they deserve Oscars, as everyone comes across as sincere and helpful.

2. Design. The hotel has a wonderful design aesthetic -- fun, clever, irreverent, modern, interesting. Nothing boring or dull about the decor here. Yet the rooms are comfortable and cheerful. Plus, they upgraded me to a suite -- sweet!

3. Clean. The housekeeping staff keeps things spic and span.

4. Location. That sweet spot between Rittenhouse and the Central Business District.

Of course, all is not perfection. Some of the furniture is getting worn (for example, I noticed a button missing from the sofa), and the bedroom pocket door was peeling in one place. The intricate coffee tables are stained in their crevices. The gym is minute. Also, I wish the beds were as comfortable as they are stylish.

But the hotel gets most of the details just right, like the super-dark blackout curtains, the pleather trim on the furniture, and the animal-print robes. And, though not priced like a luxury hotel, the Palomar offers some nice luxury features, like turndown service (though it is a bit erratic), terrific Etro bath products, free wifi, free newspaper in the morning, and a minibar credit, (always a nice little perk).

It all adds up to a happy vibe and a happy experience.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank andrew l

Andrew L,

Thanks for writing this review. You've become like family to most of us and we value your opinion and appreciate your business! Feel free to reach out to me directly if I can ever be of any assistance during your time with us.

Happy Labor Day!

Reviewed August 26, 2013

Absolutely loved this lovely gem of a hotel in Philadelphia! Quick check in, wine hour, clean, modern and funky rooms, tasty breakfast and perfect location. Can't wait to return on our next overnight stay.

Sundog249,

We also can't wait for you to return! Thanks for your continued loyalty and for sharing these comments about your stay.

Reviewed August 25, 2013

My wife and I visited the hotel for our "Mini-Moon" and could not have been more impressed. From the valet, to the check in, to check out, I cannot think of one thing I would have asked to have been done better! We arrived at the hotel late on a Friday afternoon, and were quickly checked in. I had mentioned on the phone when confirming reservations that it was our mini honeymoon and upon arrival we were congratulated by the staff, a very nice touch. Our room, although a little small, was great. Very clean, modern, and with cool decor. The staff left a bottle of champagne chilling along with a few chocolate covered strawberries which was very much a surprise, but one of the many little things that separate this hotel from others we have stayed. We did stop in the bar a few times and the staff was very friendly and attentive. A nice crowd was there and it had a really cool, classy vibe. We really had a great time and were treated like royalty. We will definitely be coming back!

Room Tip: The queem city view room we had was great, but not much of a view. The bathroom is a little tiny so...
1  Thank Cachookie

Cachookie,

Congrats!! Thanks for allowing us to take care of you during such a special weekend. Glad too see the staff was able to make it special for you. Our bar, Square1682 is certainly a great spot - in fact, this week USA Today voted us "Best Hotel Bar"!

Reviewed August 24, 2013

The welcome, room and everything about this hotel was superb! Plus we got our own goldfish in our room that we named Rocky (after Rocky statue at the Art Museum) and now is home with us as the staff was so great to get him something to transport him in! Great neighborhood!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Stacey B,

I'm thrilled to read you and the kids enjoyed your stay with us! Hopefully Rocky is still doing well! We appreciate your business and hope to welcome you back again soon, Adrian is waiting!

Kind Regards,

Reviewed August 19, 2013

We had stayed at a couple of hotels in Philadelphia and this was by far our favorite. Though the rooms were on the smaller side, the style and décor was fresh and modern, and very clean. Even the lobby and hallways were thoughtfully decorated and had quiet but upbeat music playing. Staff was attentive and the bar featured a few amazing signature cocktails. Would certainly stay again!!!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank FuMandySkeeto
James_AdamsonPHL, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Philadelphia, responded to this reviewResponded August 24, 2013

Dear FuMandySkeeto,

I'm so pleased to read we're at the top of your Philly favorites! Thanks for writing such an awesome review of the Palomar and of Square1682. We appreciate your business and hope to welcome you back again soon!

Thanks,

Reviewed August 19, 2013

After a few bad hotel experiences on a long business trip, got to really enjoy the Hotel Palomar as an Inner Circle member. Valet was very crowded and busy, especially considering it has a small area in front of the hotel to work in, but service was otherwise superb. The Inner Circle amenities waiting in my room were wonderful, including some of the best cookies I've ever eaten in my life! I wanted to ask where they got the peanut butter cookies from and forgot to do so before I left. Oh well.

I was upgraded to a King spa room, which had an enormous jetted tub that I wanted to take home with me. Bed was a little firm for my tastes, but still comfortable enough that I wasn't complaining. The hotel's only ice machine was located in the fitness center, which made for some weird looks from people running on the treadmill. In all, though, these are minor issues with an otherwise-excellent hotel that I would absolutely go back to in a heartbeat.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank latrell1

Hi latrell1,

First and foremost, thanks so much for your continued loyalty to Kimpton. Secondly, coming from someone that stays in Hotels 45+ room nights per year, this great review means alot to us. We're thrilled you enjoyed your stay with us and can't wait to welcome you back again!

The cookies - they're from our neighbors, Insomnia Cookies. We also think they're super delicous and love to share them with our favorite guests!