“Sleek and Warm”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
White Stone, VA
“Sleek and Warm”
Reviewed April 2, 2013

First of all, we travel with our miniature schnauzer, and we are huge fans of Kimpton hotels. Not only are pets accepted, they are welcomed. The Palomar in Philadelphia was lovely and welcoming to both humans and canines! The reception staff could not have been nicer, and when it was discovered that we had a one-bed room and we needed a two-bed room because our niece was with us, a very comfortable roll-away bed was immediately procured (the mistake in booking was ours not theirs). The room was very comfortable, and in a great location, close to Rittenhouse Square and other Philadelphia neighborhoods. The lobby was very sophisticated and the gas fireplace gave a very lovely "feel" to the room, though it was too small to accommodate the guests who arrived for happy hour. We saw many guests take their complimentary glass of wine (big points on that!) up to their rooms because they couldn't find a place to sit. Our dinner at the adjacent Square 1682 restaurant (separate review) was outstanding. We would definitely stay at the Palomar again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Wendell B, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Philadelphia, responded to this review, April 5, 2013
RivahBob,

Thanks for bringing your family our way! It's great to see you had an enjoyable visit in both the Hotel and in our newly renovated restaurant, Square1682. Hopefully we'll see you and the pup again soon.

Kind Regards,

Wendell B.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (641)
Arlington, Virginia
Reviewed April 2, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed here on a recent Philly getaway weekend and we were thrilled with the Hotel Palomar. The location can't be beat--you can walk to amazing restaurants and bars in Rittenhouse Square--and the staff were incredibly accommodating. Kimpton hotels are always wonderful, but the Hotel Palomar went above and beyond. Truly a chic urban oasis. Stay here if you have the choice!

Room Tip: Join the Kimpton InTouch loyalty program and I believe they'll go a bit above and beyond to acco...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear 534Jessical534,

Awesome feedback! Thanks for sharing. There's so much to explore in the Rittenhouse neighborhood and we're happy to be your home away from home while you do that!

Hastings on Hudson, New York
Reviewed April 1, 2013

My family and I had a perfect stay at this lovely hotel. It has that special combination of warmth and elegance. It is in a super location: stroll to dinner and shops or take a nice walk to see the historic sights. Our room was spacious, nicely appointed, comfortable and spotless. The staff was friendly and professional, helping us out with directions and just making us feel welcome. The 5:00 pm complimentary wine service was a great way to wind down after a day of sightseeing and art. They were even nice enough to offer my daughter a complimentary Shirley Temple. That's what I'm talking about!

We will definitely book the Palomar for our next trip to Philadelphia.

• Stayed March 2013
NYCFrancophile,

Who doesn't love a Shirley Temple?! Thanks for writing such an awesome review of a great stay. That's what I'm talking about!

Kelly
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed April 1, 2013

I enjoyed my stay at the Palomar and would recommend it to others but would rather stay at the Sofitel across the street...Great location, and right from the begining, valet was quick and the doors were opened for us from our car to the hotel entrance. The front desk attendant was top notch. She was absolutely amazing and came off as a very friendly and genuine person. I couldn't give her enough praise. The hotel has a cool, modern vibe to it and the Kimpton In Touch program is worth joining, especially since it's free. The hand written welcome letter was a wonderful touch and the room itself was great. Really great view of the skyline as well. Room service food was okay, but nothing to write home about. Upon checking out, again the same front desk attendant left us smiling.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Mbl5687,

Thanks for your comments about the great service from the Front Desk. We love to see you leaving with a smile. Come back and see us again - maybe then we'll win you over! Until then, thanks for the recommendations.

Appreciate the feedback,

Doylestown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed April 1, 2013

Overall a good hotel in a wonderful location set in an amazing building but did not meet our usual Kimpton expectations.

Very nice front of the house staff who from the doormen to the front desk staff were friendly. For the most part they were welcoming but unlike at other Kimptons I did not feel a sense of staff going out of their way to make guests feel welcomed.

Our room was a single queen on the "corner" and was petite but the view from the three windows was incredible --- It was a neat room and one I am glad I had the chance to stay in. Cleanliness of the room is where it fell short & it is my regret for not addressing the issue and (quite literally) sweeping away a few housekeeping issues - minor but in hindsight I should have requested a change of linens AND of towels.

Lobby was very nice but frequently, regardless if wine hour or anytime, felt cramped. I also missed the eye popping decor found at other Kimptons.

For future visits to the city, I would prefer the other Kimpton (and especially if traveling with our daughter).

Room Tip: corner room high floor for the view but keep in mind it is a tiny little room
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
ManyMilesStill2Go,

Cool username! We love to travel too. Thanks for travelling our way recently and for sharing your comments about the visit. I hope you can see from past reviews that the cleanliness of our builidng and the friendliness of our staff are two things we aim to thrive at. I'm sad to read that you didn't recieve that. Feel welcome to reach out to me directly next time you are in town so I can make sure you are set up nicely.

Have a good weekend,
New York
Reviewed March 31, 2013

My husband, 6-yr-old son and I recently spent two nights in Philly on a quick get-away for Spring Break. My husband had been to this city once before, years ago, for training for his job so had not had a chance to explore the city. I had never been and decided that the proximity of Philadelphia to the Adventure Aquarium in Camden, NJ, would afford us a chance to check out the City of Brotherly Love. We try to explore a new city at least once a year so we were all eager to visit but first things first, we needed a hotel!

Enter TripAdvisor and the hotel rankings. Hotel Palomar was rated #1 of 84 hotels in the area so I decided to see whether the hotel lived up to the hype. My young son is a fan of hotel life and loves nothing better than being in a nice hotel, preferably with an indoor pool and to have a suite for the luxury of having a separate living area. There is no pool in this hotel and I booked the hotel a little too late to get a suite but managed to snag a Cityview Deluxe King Room for a good rate. I also signed up for the Kimpton Loyalty club which will get you free wi-fi in your room and the option to request an upgrade of your room to a spa room or spa suite for a reasonable additional fee, if available. We arrived on a Thursday afternoon. The hotel is situated in a heavy traffic area, because it is in the city proper and it can get a little congested since there is no separate receiving area for cars. You literally just pull over directly in front the hotel and exit your car, handing over your keys to a valet who will park your car for you in the adjacent parking garage. Parking is very limited in this area outside of garages and on the street parking did not seem to be an overnight option in the vicinity. We chose to use the hotel parking valet service for convenience and at $40. a day, it did not seem too bad an option.

Check-in was a breeze. Front desk was very friendly and quick. They even gave my son a little car as a welcome gift. Lobby is very nicely decorated. Unfortunately, we did not get an upgrade because the hotel was fully booked and no suites or spa rooms were available and indeed, the hotel was quite busy throughout our stay. I read another review where someone complained about the wait for elevators and I have to say that despite having to wait about 5 minutes for an elevator once on the first evening, we did not encounter this as a rule.

Cityview Deluxe King Room was very nice. Not too small. Bathroom was decent size and everything looked clean and not worn. The bed was comfortable. We are very low maintenance so a few things that I think may bother some, were not really a big deal for us but I think it is worth mentioning. We were able to hear the people in the room next to us as they came in and moved around, opening and closing doors at night. Also were able to hear voices very clearly in the corridor at night. Luckily, no one was very rowdy. The other minor thing was the vent/fan in the room which was situated above the closet and would blow directly on you once you were in bed. The fan would cut on and off (thermostat control) pretty noticeably and loudly throughout the night. I am a light sleeper so I noticed but my husband and son slept right through it.

First night we had dinner in the recently renovated restaurant in the hotel. The food was good. My husband's steak was cooked perfectly and he enjoyed his cocktails. The restaurant was busy. Music was a little on the loud side but at least it was Arctic Monkeys, The Shins and the like. The hotel is conveniently located to lots of eating places and we felt comfortable enough to walk around the vicinity.

Overall, I would recommend the Hotel Palomar. We enjoyed the wine hour and my son really enjoyed the truffle popcorn every evening. The Hotel Palomar and Philadelphia are very family friendly and we would love to revisit.

Hochie1,

What a gem of a review! Sounds like you and your family had a great weekend. Thanks for staying with us and sharing your experience! Come back and see us again if you ever find yourselves back in the City of Brotherly Love.

Kind Regards,
Fairfax, VA
Reviewed March 31, 2013

Stayed here recently for a quick family trip to Philadelphia. Upon arriving the valet was very nice, but his space to work with very limited. Had to go around a few blocks which cost me another 10 minutes. Check in was efficient and friendly. We were pleasantly surprised with the size and quality of our room on the 21st floor. So far so good. Until we heard the elevator. First of all the elevator could come right our of the tower of terror and being in it you kind of expect it to turn into a theme park ride and free fall any minute. But that was the least of our worries. Our room was right next to said elevator, and we could hear the elevator running all night long. I'm not talking about a little ding every now and then when it got to our floor, but a big, loud, swooshing sound every time the elevator moved (I think the 21 floor is pretty close to the roof). Our room ended in 01, so when you're on a higher floor and they give you a room that ends with 01, politely decline and state that you actually want to have some sleep and see if they give you another room. Also, sitting in the lobby, you might get the feeling you're actually staying in a kennel, the number of guests with dogs is astonishing.

Room Tip: Stay away from anything close to the elevators.
DaleCooperSr,

Thanks for taking the time to share your comments. Its nice to see you enjoyed the room. So sorry about the elevator noise! Let me know next time you're in town and I'll be sure to get you in a room down the hall for some quiet time.