“Loved my stay here”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Dublin, Ireland
“Loved my stay here”
Reviewed March 31, 2013

I stayed here for three nights in a double-double room with a friend on vacation. We chose the Hotel Palomar based on tripadvisor reviews.

The hotel is great, the doormen are very courtious and the decor is fun. Our room was on a high floor so there was no street noise. The room is relatively large. The beds are comfy but could have done with a physical duvet rather than layers of sheets.

The bathroom is really nice and very clean. The room was always cleaned really well, even when we asked them at 3pm to clean the room as we forget to take the do not disturb sign down.

I loved the leopard print robe! It's a nice touch.

The staff in general were very friendly, especially the Scottish man. They always seemed happy to see us.

One or two things were a little annoying, for example we had $25 rate match credit which no one seemed to know about or what it applied to. We went to the bar during what the website said was happy hour to spend it, only to be told happy hour was over. (I do note that they have now changed their website to reflect the correct time). The bar was very cold as we had to move to near the door since we weren't eating, even though lots of empty tables. Service was pretty slow here too, which again was surprising as it wasn't too busy. However, overall this didn't bother me as the rest of the hotel was so nice.

The location was great, there was a Rite Aid on the same block and it was near to the shopping at Walnut and Chestnut.

We liked the free $10 mini bar credit for being part of their loyalty program.

I would de their hotels based on this trip.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Wendell B, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Philadelphia, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
Dear Rachie1234,

Thanks for writing such a glowing review. Glad to see that you had a chance to take advantage of our newly remodeled restaurant, Square1682! Apologies for the snafu with the dining credit - we'll be sure to review with the Front Desk.

Come see us again next time you are in town!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (641)
east windsor, nj
Reviewed March 31, 2013

Stayed 2 nights at this gorgeous, modern hotel. Checked in early with our 2 dogs. Room very modern and beautiful. Comfy bed. Nice chaise lounge. Iphone charger on clock radio. Big bathroom with double walk-in shower. Everything very clean. Walked 2 blocks to Walnut Street(superb shopping!) to Rittenhouse Square for doggie needs. Had lunch and breakfast at the hotel restaurant. What a treat! Food and service amazing. The wine hour at the hotel was great!!-The wine(choice of sauvignon blanc or cabernet) was delicious in real stemmed glasses with plenty of truffle popcorn for snacking. On the second morning, the hoel experienced a power outage for 2 hours which was kind of inconvenient but they made several announcements and it was remedied within a reasonable time frame. Our room was on the 3rd floor in the front of the hotel and we did hear alot of loud people very late at night on the street outside. Next time I would request a higher floor. All hotel personnel were friendly and accomodating. This hotel is in a great central location in the city.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear melbre,

Thanks for your review! Sounds like you really got a chance to experience all that the Rittenhouse neighborhood has to offer. Come back and visit us again soon. We'll be sure to get you on a high floor!

Gaithersburg, Maryland
Reviewed March 30, 2013

My fiance and I recently stayed at the Palomar for one night to celebrate our engagement and we had a wonderful time. The concierge, Christina, made sure there were surprise treats in our room (a gesture we greatly appreciated), and the service for our whole trip, from the check-in counter staff to the doormen, was friendly and impeccable.

The king spa room was worth the upgrade and beautiful, particularly the large windows over the seating area and the huuuge jacuzzi and shower. (I recommend stopped by the nearby bluemercury store for bubble bath samples.) The location is perfect - an easy walk to tourist sites as well as great restaurants and shops.

I stayed at the DC Palomar last fall, and although it was a very enjoyable stay, I thought the Philly location was better: prettier decor, beautiful building, and friendlier service. This might be our favorite Kimpton so far!

(The only thing that wasn't perfect was the slow elevators, but each is individually decorated so at least you have something interesting to look at when it finally comes!)

Room Tip: Upgrade to the king spa room to get a decadent jacuzzi
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear MsRCY,

Congrats on your engagement! Christina is a master at making special occasions even more special. Thanks for sharing and for celebrating with us! Looking forward to having you back soon.

Happy Wedding Planning,
New York City, New York
Reviewed March 30, 2013

Stayed here for one night in December with husband and 2 kids (ages 4 & 5). This was our second stay with the Kimpton chain. My husband and I had previously stayed at Hotel Marlowe in Cambridge, Mass., 5 years ago so I knew what level of hospitality to expect. Hotel Palomar did not disappoint. I had gotten a great rate on Hotwire, but was still able to call the hotel directly and link my Kimpton Loyalty membership to the reservation. This allowed me have the Loyalty member perks which included free in-room WiFi and $10 to "raid the mini-bar."
When we checked-in, I requested a pet-free room (this is a very pet friendly chain...in fact, our stay at Hotel Marlowe was with our yorkie). The front desk was very accomodating and was able to get us a room that no pet has ever been in (our kids are allergic to dog saliva) and we waited a minimal amout of time for this last minute request.
The room and bathroom were on the small side, but it was clean and the design was what I would describe as fun and quirky.
The hotel had complimentary wine and popcorn hour in the lobby during the evening. I took the kids down for some popcorn and was pleasantly surprised to see that they also had warm apple cider, which the kids were able to enjoy.
All the staff that we encountered were super friendly and accomodating to all our requests. In my opinion, they go above and beyond to make guests feel welcome and happy. A prime example of this is when the ladies serving the wine in the lobby offered to have hot chocolate delivered to my room when they overheard my daughter asking me for it. Let me also add that the valet/doorman also made us feel very welcome.
Hotel Palomar will now be my first choice when visiting Philly.

• Stayed December 2012
Dear CL215,

Thanks for taking the time to write this review. It's awesome to read that we lived up to your expectations and were able to provide your family with a great visit. Looking forward to having you back - that popcorn is addictive, isn't it?!

See you soon,
New York City, New York
Reviewed March 28, 2013

I hosted a work-related event with a group of professional contacts and clients at the Palomar in early March, 2013. We used the hotel as our primary meeting facility, and we had all guests book rooms at the hotel. While this property has many of the best qualities of a "boutique" hotel, don't be fooled. The staff here is as professional and on-point as it gets. Our guests ranged in age from 30-something to 80-something, and they ALL loved this hotel! Some highlights: The meeting rooms and event catering were both first-rate and affordable for anyone looking to host an event in Philly. The bed in the guest room was one of the most comfortable I've slept on in a long time -- and that includes several 5-star properties that my wife and I have been to. The restaurant was great, and the new, talented executive chef (a charming woman) actually came to our table and discussed the food with us. The hotel has a very contemporary and slightly-funky decor which is fun, relaxing and non-offensive. The location is very central -- blocks from Rittenhouse, and adjacent to several top-notch restaurants and bars. Finally, this hotel does a complimentary wine hour in the lobby for guests every evening! The lobby becomes abuzz with all sorts of interesting people-watching. Overall, I have nothing bad to say. This hotel is MONEY. Glad I trusted the reviews online!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Wendell B, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Philadelphia, responded to this review, March 29, 2013
J W,

Thanks for your comments about the excellent service that you and your guest received while having your meeting and staying with us. We get really excited when we get this type of feedback. It lets our team know that they are really appreciated.

Glad that you ALL loved us and we Love you right back.

Please come and visit your friends here at Hotel Palomar real soon.

Manchester Township, New Jersey
Reviewed March 28, 2013

Very nice place to stay. Staff was friendly and helpful. Hotel was clean with a very pleasant atmosphere. Location was convenient to restaurants, shopping and entertainment. Wine hour from 5 to 6 each evening is a nice touch. Room was a little tight, but not unbearable. Would certainly stay again and would recommend to friends.

• Stayed March 2013
John R,

Thanks for your comments on Trip Advisor. We appreciate you recommending our hotel to your friends and family. We would love to be their hotel of choice when traveling to Philly as well.

We can't wait to have you back again to stay with us.

Camberley, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 28, 2013

I stayed here in March with a friend for 3 nights. We on on holiday in Philadephia and used the hotel as a base from which to explore the city. It is of a very high standard, friendly staff and beautifully decorated. Rooms and bathrooms are huge! We stayed in a Double Double room which had two large double beds in it. The free wifi is fast and reliable. It is also in a great central location. It is also spotlessly clean at all times.
Then only downside is the in house bar and restuarant which although has an advertised Happy Hour of 5-7pm on weekdays (as shown on the Kimpton website) when we got in there is only runs 5-6pm! Also they do not have a full drinks menu where you can see the full selection and prices, or a Happy Hour menu. Also when we went in there about 6pm there was no staff around except the barman so we didn't know where to sit which resulted in us later being moved from an "eating" table to a "drinks" table which was in a different section and was freezing cold! All in all I think the bar restaurant lets the place down and needs to get it's act together.
I will definately stay here again and highly recommend it.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
lucy1038,

Thanks for staying with us during your holiday from across the pond. I am thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your hotel stay and that our team did a great job taking care of you. I have shared your comments with our restaurant and bar team. We will use your comments to learn and improve in that area.

Please stay with us again the next time your travels bring you to Philadelphia.