“Excellent Stay”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
New York
“Excellent Stay”
Reviewed January 1, 2013

I stayed here for 2 nights on business and was extremely pleased. The rooms were great, clean and modern. The conference rooms for business were very nice and worked out perfect for our group of 60. The wine hour was a nice touch and I love that they allow dogs for free. I will definitely stay at another Kimpton hotel. I ordered room service once and it was ok, not great. Everything else was great! Thanks!

Room Tip: Sign up for kimpton in touch
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Wendell B, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Philadelphia, responded to this review, January 22, 2013
harv0136,

Thanks for saying how excellent your stay was here at Hotel Palomar Philly. Our goal is for all of our guests to enjoy an excellent stay with us. Please come back and stay with us the next time you are in Philly.

Emperor of Excellence

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (642)
Miami, Florida
Reviewed December 31, 2012

I am going to start my review by saying that I am a harsh critic & a hard one to impress. I have to say - with my stay at the Palomar - I was impressed !!! The facility itself is quite nice & they offer some nice amenities. But what truly makes this hotel stand out. Is there commitment to excellence in service. From the valet, to the doorman, to the front desk. Each staff member that you come in contact with is just exceptional.

The Good: Everything - stay here ! My review would go on forever & Im tired. But just figure its all good. From the flashy rooms, to the boutique lobby, to the great fitness center, the trendy bar, the $4 truffle popcorn that is to die for, to the in room mini bars that have acai gummy bears.

The Great: The Kimpton in touch program. For a small chain, it really is a great program with real perks, real recognition & a true welcome back. I am a member & they made me feel like royalty when I arrived. I got free internet, complimentary voucher for the mini bar, welcome drinks at the hotel bar w/ vouchers & a royal welcome from the front desk staff. I think the big chains have a lot to learn from this smaller, boutique brand. As stated above, what makes this hotel be great. Is the service from the staff. Even when I called to order extra towels. The attendant was so nice. I felt like they had known me for years. They really do go the extra mile to be of service. But at the same time they do it in a casual, friendly kind of way that's just right. I loved it here & I will be back.

The Bad: The area is billed as "Rittenhouse" but not really. It is still a great location.

The Ugly: Parking is ridiculously expensive. Try to avoid using the valet here. Instead, use the lot that is next door. I parked there and it was 50% less then the hotel.

Room Tip: Be careful - many rooms have only one bed. If you need two beds make sure to confirm that with the h...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Miamiskyboy,

Thanks so much for your raving review about our team members and the service that they provided to you during stay with us here at Hotel Palomar Philly.

We really enjoy providing great service and we love it when our guests recognize the great service and share the comments with everyone on Trip Advisor.

Please come back and see us again real soon.

New Jersey
Reviewed December 31, 2012

Booked a two night stay based on the reviews about the wonderful service. I have stayed at Kimpton Hotels and knew what to expect in terms of accomodations. I guess my expectations of service were out of whack based on other reviews on this site. Here was our experience.

Arrived at 3:30 Friday afternoon and there was no curbside available to pull our car up for valet parking - check-in. I jumped out of our car and went up to a man with a hotel looking uniform who was shooting the breeze with a man who didn't look like a hotel employee. I told the hotel employee that we were checking in and he looked surprised and a little confused. Never the less he said just a minute and went into the lobby to ask for assistance and then came back out to provide valet service. I was grabbing the suitcases out of the trunk and did get assistance with one of our suitcases into the lobby but that was it.

Got to the front desk and said I was checking in - gave my name and was asked for idenification and credit card. The young woman looked confused. She consulted with another young woman and it turns out that there was no record of the reservation I had made over the phone with a Kimpton representative. O.K. - I don't blame the fron desk for that - but then I was asked if I had made the reservation in my husband's name and then if I had made it at the wrong hotel - No - No -please just book the room I had asked for - I knew there was avaialabity as I had been on the Web site earlier in the day. So - o.k. but the woman who first asked for i.d. and a credit card was just standing there and the one who seemed to know what she was doing kept getting interrupted by phone calls. So I asked what the deal was about being taken care of and the first woman said that this really wasn't her job - she didn't know how to help us - we would have to wait for her partner. Then her partner got off the phone and the computer was slow. It took at least 25 minutes to check in. I know this was not just a routine check-in - but it didn't appear that staffing was adequate or that staff was adequately trained. I asked for a room on a high floor and was told 10 was the highest. Never got an apology about the mix up - no VIP for the day - no drink vouchers - just a bunch of flustered employees who seemed overwhelmed.

O.K. - got to the room and saw that we looked out on the Sofitel and a roof top parking lot. No view at all - and street noise was an issue. No key to the mini-bar. On Saturday we left the room and turned our door card from "Dreaming" to "Restore" at 9 a.m. Got back at 3 and our room had not yet been made up. My husband just wanted to take a nap at that point - so our room never did get cleaned on Saturday.

A couple of observations: Maybe people equate friendly staff with good service. The staff was definitely trained to be friendly - even perky. But competence is another story. On Saturday and Sunday there was a regular doorman who said good afternoon Madame and there were usually at least three staff members at the door so I think our first encounter with the valet service - was a staffing issue. It also appeared that there was a staffing issue with the housekeeping staff not even getting to our room until late in the afternoon. And - if there had been more experienced staff at the front desk that exepreince may have gone better.

I overheard someone in the line at the front desk for goldfish. The hotel unfortunately was out of goldfish. Maybe some people equate gimmicks - goldfish - the wine reception with good service. I think they are lovely perks - but they don't equate to good service.

The hotel itself is lovely - the attention to desgin and decor details was great. The hotel was well maintained. The lobby was filled with wonderful looking guests - looked like a Tommy Hilfiger ad. We had a nice stay even with the holes in service and the street noise. I just think that people need to understand that it's not 5 star service you will be receiving at this hotel.

Busouki,

Thank you for your feedback on Trip Advisor. I have shared your comments with our team and we will use your feedback to help us learn and improve.

We always try to do our best, and I hope that you will let us prove this to you during your next stay.

Please contact me when you are ready to book your next stay with us here at Hotel Palomar Philly.

Northampton, Massachusetts
Reviewed December 31, 2012

My title pretty much says it all. Hotel Palomar is located right by Rittenhouse Square in Center City Philly, w easy access to pretty much everything. Clearly, they've got the staff onboard, as everyone was enthusiastic, friendly, and helpful. The room was good, the service was good, and the price was good. If you're driving, look for the online rate that includes parking. Plus-they are happy to take dogs.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Noho_Hamp
Wendell B, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Philadelphia, responded to this review, December 31, 2012
Noho_Hamp,

We are really proud of our team here at Hotel Palomar. They really enjoy taking great care of our guests. And yes, we love our pets just as much we love their owners. Please come back and visit your friends here at Hotel Palomar real soon.

Orlando, Florida
Reviewed December 31, 2012 via mobile

This was our first Kimpton Hotel experience but it will not be our last!

First, lets talk about the location of this hotel. I dont know if you could be more centrally located in Philadelphia. The hotel is situated in Rittenhouse Square, which is Philly's most well-heeled neighborhood. Shops, restaurants, and even Rittenhouse Square itself are steps away.

Secondly, in regards to this hotel's design and style - it rivals anywhere we've stayed in Miami, NY, or Los Angeles. The lobby is one of those lobbies that you just want to cozy up in with a good book (the roaring fire place helped). The rooms were so chicly appointed it made it hard to leave (literally).

And lastly, the service at this hotel was the true jewel. Literally each and every staff member had a smile on their face and did everything I could to help make us feel at home. At the end of the day, location and style don't matter if the service is bad. However at the Palomar, the staff our proud of the job they do for the beautiful hotel they work in. Can't wait to come back!

• Stayed December 2012
Joey C,

We are so glad that you chose Hotel Palomar Philly for your first Kimpton stay. We love to hear guests say “it felt like home" So glad you got that feeling.

We want to be your favorite Kimpton Hotel.

Please come back and see us again real soon.

Happy New Year!

Port Washington, New York
Reviewed December 29, 2012

Very friendly staff. Rooms are good size and well equipped. Convenient location for museums, shopping, restaurants. Wine reception every night is a great idea. Will return on next visit. Quick service for baggage and valet parking. Breakfast was excellent and very reasonable prices for a hotel. All around excellent experience.

west virginia
Reviewed December 28, 2012

We planned on staying two nights, but my husband became ill and we only stayed one night. The hotel was gracious and only charged for one night, even though we had booked with a two night special. The hotel is centrally located and an easy walk to most center city locations. Staff was friendly and prompt with all services. The building has beautiful architectural details, but modern decor. The lobby has comfortable couches and a fireplace. Our corner room had city views, was compact, but felt roomy since a hallway led into the bed area. There was hot chocolate in the lobby (it was cold outside) and a wine reception which we did not attend. We would stay here again while visiting Philadelphia.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room on an upper floor
cindywv,

Thanks for your review on Trip Advisor. I hope that your husband is feeling much better. We wish you great health and good cheer for 2013.

Please come back and visit your friends at Hotel Palomar again very soon.