“Fantastic dog and kid friendly hotel in city center”

Kimpton Hotel Palomar Philadelphia
Ranked #3 of 85 Hotels in Philadelphia
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
New York City, New York
“Fantastic dog and kid friendly hotel in city center”
Reviewed May 30, 2011

This hotel is amazing. It's a cool, hip, boutique hotel in the city center, that is family friendly, and loves dogs. From the dog bowls in the lobby, with a chalkboard welcoming each dog that's staying there, to treats, dog bowls and even a dog bed in the room, this hotel cannot do enough to please the pups. They also love kids, giving them cookies and milk at bed time, a welcome kit with toys in it, and a gold fish in the room. The vibe is cool and hip, a lot like a "W Hotel". They have a wine tasting hour every day from 5-6pm, coffee in the lobby every morning, and the staff is incredibly friendly and helpful. The downside? Well, its $40 for parking, but we put the car in a lot 4 blocks away for $17, a tip from the doorman. Other than that, this place rocks, and we'll be back for sure.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
obriggs, Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Philadelphia, responded to this review, June 3, 2011
I'm so happy you noticed our pet welcoming sign as you enter the hotel! I hope your children enjoyed their Kimpton Kid's packs and the goldfish in the room!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (640)
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed May 28, 2011

Haven't written any reviews for quite a while, but this hotel was outstanding enough that here I am.
Great design, very comfortable room. Was here for a trade show that meant that Philly was packed without a room to be had (colleagues of mine who had a mistake in their booking ended up having to stay 30 miles out of town!!). Yet, you didn't feel the hotel was packed at all.
I HAVE to comment on the incredible service!!! Every aspect was warm and with a smile and taking all the time in the world with you like you were the only guest. A couple of examples:
- My roll-on case got damaged on the way - went to Jimmy at the front desk to try to find a repair store - he called round, all were closed. So he called Hector the engineer who took it away and fixed it himself while I went to dinner!!
- I left a small tip for the cleaning staff. I came back to the room and found a hand written note from the lady thanking me personally for the tip. In over 25 years of business travel, that has NEVER happened to me.
Any trip back to Philly and this is most definitely where I will be staying. Thank you Palomar!!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
La Jolla
Reviewed May 26, 2011

Maid service was terrible. The room was clean but the decorative pillows were always left on the floor. The room was never vacuumed during our three day stay. The used drinking glasses were never replaced with clean ones. On four occasions our burkha
toting maid would open the door to our room. We complained to the very young head of housekeeping as well as the front desk.

I called the front desk as part of our room included same day washing and pressing a shirt . I called on Friday evening for details and brought the shirt down by the appointed time for pick up only to be told that there is no service over the weekend. So why didn't I get told that the night before. Young and Clueless.

Rooms are getting tired and need of freshening. I pity women who have to put makeup on in the terribly lit bathrooms. Towels were terrible, old and worn or scratchy, take your pick.

The doorman was way cool and could be hustling tips at any 5 star hotel. He knew the town, where to go, and how to get there. Saaid hello to all and was a true doorman of the old school. He deserved the twenty I gave him.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
SeanFlanigan, Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Philadelphia, responded to this review, May 27, 2011
Dear ZekeLaJolla,

I wanted to take this opportunity to apologize for the challenges you experienced at our hotel. Especially in regards to the housekeeping service that was provided to you. Please know that I have personally shared your review with the housekeeping department to ensure service such as this doesn’t happen again in the future. Thank you for your feedback as it is important to us so we can improve the guest experience.

I was happy to hear that you did have a pleasant exchange with our doorman!

If I can be of any assistance in the future please do not hesitate to contact me directly at sean.flanigan@hotelpalomar.com

Best Regards,

Sean Flanigan
Hotel Manager
Hotel Palomar
West Palm Beach
Reviewed May 26, 2011

Perfect location, the friendliest staff, and a "truffle popcorn and wine" happy hour, what more could you want? This was my first time in Philadelphia, and I am so glad that I picked this hotel. Boutique style, spacious rooms, great decor, very eclectic and artistic. Every restaurant suggestion from the staff members was superb. Special shout out to Jeremy and Edwin! I travel quite a bit and am not entirely loyal to one hotel chain, however I will seek out a Kimpton Hotel on my next destination!

Room Tip: Just ASK...with a friendly smile, of course!
Washington, DC
Reviewed May 25, 2011

I just want to say that I love the Kimpton brand... love it! The service is great at this hotel and so are the perks you get as an InTouch Member. The hotel is beautiful... clean and comfortable. The restaurant is a great place to meet up for drinks, and food. If you're in Philly... stay here :)

Room Tip: Become an InTouch Member
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
NYC
Reviewed May 25, 2011

Just came back from 4 days in Philadelphia where we stayed at the Hotel Palomar. Aesthetically, the public spaces are gorgeous - the building is known as the Architect's Building and dates from the Art Deco period - and the hotel designers have taken great care in honoring the building's history in retaining some of the original details. Service was very friendly and efficient. When housekeeping had a couple of missteps (mini-bar and toilet paper not restocked one day), we contacted the front desk and it was handled promptly and courteously. Loved the gratis coffee/tea service in the morning in the lobby. The coffee is stellar. Also enjoyed the breakfast in the hotel restaurant (1682 Square) - solid food and prompt and pleasant service. The hotel gym is small (like most) but has quality cardio equipment (with individual TV screens) and plenty of towels and water. Also some weights and weight benches and some mats to stretch on. Great location in City Center - all the main attractions are walkable or a quick subway stop away. Overall a very positive experience. Now checking out other Kimpton destinations for our next vacation.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
I'm so happy you enjoyed our coffee and your breafkast at our hotel! We appreciate your interest in choosing Kimpton for future stays!
Alexandria, Virginia
Reviewed May 24, 2011

My girlfriend and I had a fantastic weekend trip to the Palomar which has ranked as one of our favorite Kimpton experiences. We went when it was still pretty cold outside so we appreciated its central location and short walks to Rittenhouse Square and the busiest parts of Philly. Our Spa King room was gorgeous and loved the shower setup right next to the Fuji tub. The decor was also unique as green is a color I've rarely seen in the hotel setup compared to the other typical hues. As such, the Palomar stood out in everything I can think of from the friendly staff to offering truffle popcorn for wine hour. The elevators seemed to take a while though even though there were 4 and the restaurant was closed on Sunday for dinner. The bar always seemed to be lively though and brunch was delicious. All in all, a fantastic stay in an amazing hotel.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple