“Enjoyable Mothers Day weekend with family.”

Kimpton Hotel Palomar Philadelphia
Ranked #5 of 88 Hotels in Philadelphia
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed May 9, 2011

Hotel was conveniently located in Phla, Pa. Staff was attentive and accomodating. Room was good size and very clean. We enjoyed lunch and breakfast at the hotel. We are hoping to return to the Hotel Palomar for a longer stay.

Room Tip: Rooms facing main streets may be noisier.
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family

Reviewed May 9, 2011

My wife and I spent the weekend in Philadelphia at the Palomar Hotel. This was my first time at this hotel, It was an exceptional stay and since it was Mothers Day I wanted it to be perfect. We were both thrilled at the courtesy, attention and cooperation of the staff. They could not have done more for us. It is now the only hotel we will stay at in Philly. We plan another visit in about a month. Thank you guys for a job well done.

Bob Hannigan

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 9, 2011

I recently visited the Palomar Philadelphia with my family over the Mother's Day weekend. I knew the hotel would be busy for the holiday and wasn't sure what to expect. I could not have been more pleased and impressed. From the moment we were greeted at the door upon arrival until our departure we felt like the entire staff was focused only on us. Special thanks for Brad at the Door, Abby at the Concierge (whom cheerfully took responsibility for my lack of preparation on dinner reservations and got 13 of us into an Italian restaurant with two hours notice on a Saturday night), Anna in Square 1862 and the on duty Houseman on Saturday night, who saw us taking pictures in the lobby and asked if he could take them so we could all be in the picture. Absolute 5 star service in every way. I'd recommend this hotel to everyone considering visiting the area!

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed May 6, 2011

Very happy with our stay here. Staff were great, room was quiet, location very good.

Hosted wine reception an extra bonus, but slept in to miss the similar coffee event in the morning!

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed May 4, 2011

I cannot rave enough about the Hotel Palomar Philadelphia. I stayed two nights on business and was treated like a rockstar from start to finish. I didn't want to leave! From the handwritten note from the manager at check-in and the well-appointed rooms to the nightly wine happy hour and delightful restaurant staff, I was wowed from start to finish. My mother and father recently had a similar experience at a Kimpton property in Boston, which leads me to believe that, in addition to the Hotel Palomar, Kimpton is a quality brand. I frequently travel for both work and play and will look for Kimpton properties whenever possible.

• Stayed: May 2011
Reviewed May 4, 2011

I go to Philadelphia frequently as my son goes to school there. Usually stay at Four Seasons. Wanted to try Palomar because of all the good Trip Advisor reviews. As an aside, they are certainly not shy about advertising their Trip Advisor status. It is even on their mini bar key rings. I say good for them!

My son and I were staying just one night for a good rest before a long (16 hour!) car drive home.

Let me just say customer service and friendliness go a long way. From when we first pulled up looking like the Beverly Hillbillies in my son's rather beat up, dirty Honda stuffed to the gills with college paraphernalia and two cases of beer (hey, you can't get Yuengling where we live!), and were greeted warmly by the amazingly welcoming and wonderful bellman (so sorry, forgot your name, but know you are from Liberia) to the nice check in (noting that I am a Kimpton member and like a quiet room) to the room service delivery person, the valet the next morning... WOW. Can people really be this nice?

The atmosphere is modern and kitschy. I love the elevators with the fake fireplace and moustachioed painting, as well as the distressed wooden floor. The room was small, and modern, and the bathroom was nice and large, with a nice pocket door. I particularly liked the note in the bathroom about being able to easily get things you forgot by just calling downstairs... nice!

Beds and linens were very comfortable. Thanks for double sheeting the comforter, a must in my book. I also got a kick out of the leopard robes.

Minor quibbles: yes, the room is small. I actually knocked my shin against one of the bedframes (that sticks out farther than the mattress) trying to get around. One problem that I should have solved myself: the room was warm when we checked in so we turned down the a.c. During the night it would cycle on and off every minute or so... not good for light sleepers. If I hadn't been so tired I would have called down for a fan (offered on the "stuff you may have forgotten" sheet in the bathroom) and the problem would have been solved. Note to self for next time. I also wish there were a fan in the bathroom.

One other note: the room service breakfast menu door hanger said they started serving at 7 a.m. I was disappointed as we needed breakfast earlier. The next morning I looked at another breakfast menu on the desk, and it said they started serving at 6:30. I called as soon as I read this, but it was already 6:30 so breakfast came at 7. Would have liked it earlier.

Also, is there someone out there who could design hotel doors that shut quietly and not bang? Someone should invent one and patent it!

So, have they won me over from Four Seasons? If they stay a little less expensive than FS, definitely yes. Priced same as FS, Hmmmm...I do like friendly...

• Stayed: May 2011
Thank MelvinaSt.Louis
Reviewed May 4, 2011

I stayed at the Palomar for two nights while I was attending a conference at the convention center. I got here inadvertantly- the convenion hotels (Marriott, Loews, etc.) were all booked and the Palomar was the only hotel with vacancy at a reasonable rate.

Physically, the hotel was very attractive. It had a cool, boutique vibe. The rooms were impeccably well-appointed with a very comfy bed, cool gray tones, good lighting and a really comfortable bed. The rooms were very small though- I banged my shin against the corner of the bed numerous times when walking around the room. The room I stayed in was the second room I was assigned. The first faced a brick wall. The staff gladly exchanged the room when I asked.

They Kimpton chain has an excellent frequent guest program. If you sign up, you get free WiFi and a $10 minibar credit.

They were very welcoming. Everyday they have a free happy hour in the lobby. It was a great way to meet people. It was a nice feature.

I did have one very negative experience, though, that will make me think twice about coming back.

I had a 7AM business meeting. I called downstairs the evening prior to arrange a 6AM wake up call. The person taking the information asked me if I would like them to call me a second time at 6:15. I said yes.

Regrettably, neither calls materialized and I awoke at 6:45. I arrived at my meeting a half an hour late and had to take a cab- an expense that what had been a nice, leisurely 10 minute walk would not otherwise have been necessary.

While the front desk person I called to complain to the next morning was apologetic and asked me how she could make it up to me (I asked for a 2PM late checkout which she agreed to), I was dissapointed that the manager never called me with an explanation as to why this happened as she had told me he would. When I checked out, the front desk was completely oblivious to the issue indicating that it likely never went further than the woman I spoke to in the morning.

Wake up calls are taken very seriously by most hotels. Some hotels will guarrantee wake up calls with a free night if they are not made. Others send security up to open the doors if the guest does not answer a wake up call. I came to Philadelphia on business and missed part of a meeting as a result. I was particularly dissapointed that this mistake was not adressed personally.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business