“Oysterifiic”

Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: City Center West
Description: Formerly known as the Sansom Street Oyster House. Re-opened recently as The Oyster House. Would like to write a review.
Reviewed March 22, 2014

My grandmother always said, "order steak in a steakhouse and fish in a fish house." That was wise. Order Oysters here. They are outstanding. The barbequed oysters came with some sort of smoky fire on the plate. Intersting and very delicious. Professional service and a nice looking, large space.

Reviewed March 10, 2014

Locating a good spot for Seafood in Center City is not the easiest thing to do, happily the latest incarnation of the Sansom Street Oyster House fills the void.

We had lunch (brunch) here with a group of friends, and the found the service to be friendly and efficient, the decor just urban enough, and the food good to very good.

A starter of Naked Cowboy Oysters, and Mussels in a curry broth hit the spot and were both prepared as they should be. The Oysters were fresh and the mussels cooked correctly, thus they were plump and tender. The Crab Cake sandwich was substantial, and true lump meat was used. The flounder entree was good, but not as fresh as I am used to having.
The scallops proved to be better than the flounder, and the entree size was just right for lunch.

My main gripe is that they serve a hybrid brunch/lunch menu on Saturdays, as opposed to their full weekday lunch menu. That said I have learned that this an issue in Center City with a number of restaurants. Philly ain't Boston when it comes to seafood, and restaurants in general.

Reviewed March 3, 2014 via mobile

We ordered around 2pm so we were their for brunch. We ordered the steamed clams. We were told their were 24 clams per $15 order so we thought that was reasonable. Well we received the bucket of clams and it only contained 16. The clams their selves did have a nice flavor, but they were so sandy they were hard to chew. I wanted the send them back, but my husband doesn't believe in sending food back to the kitchen in fear of what could be done to the new food.

For our brunch I ordered the scallops with beets. Well it was $17 and it came w 5 medium sized scallops. The scallops were delicious, but the oranges that were in the dish were so unripe that it made the entire dish taste like a bitter citrus mess. It was so tart I had to choke it down.

My husband ordered the burger which had blue cheese on it. The burger was literally smothered in the blue cheese and it was very over powering and strong. He always finishes his meal and he had almost half the burger left and threw it out.

Based on MY experience i wouldn't recommend this restaurant to others. I only gave it two stars because the staff was friendly....or else it would have gotten one.

Reviewed February 3, 2014

I eat at a lot of restaurants, but really only would consider going back to a few for a second time. This one is on the keeper list. First of all, the ambiance is pleasant. There is a great collection of oyster plates on the walls which I wish I could have spent more time studying. There are higher tables in the front, with more of an airy bar-like atmosphere, and regular tables near the rear. We were there at lunch and the entire restaurant felt sunny and airy because of large front windows.
The server was excellent. Despite all my food questions and substitutions, she remained cheery and helpful. I asked about the salt content in the breading- they make their own and it was really delicious- not the heavily salted stuff so many places serve. And without my asking, she offered to change my fries to a salad.
I had a special- the fried oyster sandwich, and my colleagues had fish sandwiches (I think it was salmon.) Everyone seemed pleased.
We arrived at 11:30 to an almost empty restaurant, and as we were dining, the restaurant filled up entirely but there was never a sense of noisy or crowded.
Good lunch spot- want to come back and try a dinner.

Reviewed January 16, 2014

This is a revived restaurant that is gaining traction. Great for larger parties, the restaurant is bench like tables with seating all around. Minimal decor. Of course, oysters are the specialty but they have lots of other seafood available. Our waitress was very knowledgeable on the oysters and helped us make a medley selection for the table. Their lobster roll (2 kinds) was excellent as was their three day chowder, flounder and they even had sauteed brussel sprouts. A burger is available for land lovers! This is a bit pricey but worth it for something a little different and special.