“Good food!”

Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Special occasions, Bar scene, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: City Center West
Description: Formerly known as the Sansom Street Oyster House. Re-opened recently as The Oyster House. Would like to write a review.
New York City, New York
“Good food!”
Reviewed December 27, 2013

Came here because I read the other reviews and plus I love oysters. I knew there were going to be a lot of people coming for the happy hour Buck a Shuck so my wife and I decided to come 10-15 minutes before it started. Good thing our hotel was only a few blocks away. When we got their it was already crowded and we got one of the few remaining seats by the window (happy hour is by the bar only). We ordered our first 2 dozen oysters and they were great. Nice decent size (the shucker might have slipped 1 tiny one here and there). Overall my wife and 4 1/2 dozen oysters and all tasted fresh. My wife had ordered half dozen clam and she wasn't thrilled about them since they were big clams and a little tough for her liking. While she had the clams I ordered the New England clam chowder which tasted great as well. The later it got, the more crowded it got. Not unexpected since it was a Saturday night and happy hour. But the service was great considering it was so crowded.

• Greek first
knoxville, TN
“Fabulous Evening”
Reviewed December 22, 2013

On our recent trip to the Army/Navy game we enjoyed a wonderful evening at the Oyster House. If you have a large group (6+ I think)..order the Dump Dinner...large seafood pot which needs to be ordered ahead..delicious and reasonably priced. We also order the drink package ( all at the table must order) $20 pp for beer, 2 kinds of wine or a rum punch..all you can drink for 2 hours. I'm not sure I would choose that again...punch was very good. But, the seafood and fries,,,,YUMMY! Great atmosphere with excellent service!

Alma, Georgia
“great experience”
Reviewed December 18, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

see the oysters in the window and you will have to go in for some of the best seafood including good oyster selection. great service too

Visited December 2013
Virginia Beach, VA
“Wish I could tell you about the Oysters”
Reviewed December 16, 2013

I was very excited to check out the highly recommended oysters. I was visiting from out of town, was done with the days meetings and expected a 4:45 visit should prove an issue for a single person, and perhaps would get an opportunity to check out a happy hour special. Boy was I wrong. As I entered I checked in with the hostess about bar seating. She stated the seating is first come first serve, so if you see a seat you are welcome to it. Happy to see a single seat open I walked over, inquired with the adjacent diners as to the availablity of the seat, and began to take off my jacket to take a seat. As I did this the bartender approached me 'stating the seat was saved'...hmmm, OK, the hostess stated the seats at the bar were first come first serve, I got a shoulder shrug and 'sorry'. Seeing there were no more seats at the bar, I then approached the hostess to tell her of the situtation and request a table, not caring if I would get the happy hour special, really just wanting to try out their oysters, to which I was told a single should sit at the bar to not take up a table for 2 or more. Needless to say, I found somewhere else to have dinner that evening and will not recommend them, or return.

• Visited November 2013
Philadelphia
“Best Oysters in Philly”
Reviewed December 14, 2013

We come here to sit at the oyster bar and enjoy the always changing delicious oysters. Leslye our waitperson really knew her stuff about the oysters available and the wines. We come here a few times a year and hope she is there next time. Cornell the professional shucker serves up the oysters clean,cold and efficiently.

The Oyster House has one of the most happiest of Happy hours Monday -Friday 5/7 and Saturday from 9 /11pm. You need to get there early in order to get a seat.

Last time we were there we went around 3pm. It was quiet, and casual and Cornell and Leslye had plenty of time to assist us in our choices. We were able to taste and discover some new favorites as we ordered oysters up and down the New England coast.

If you are from out of town or are from flyover country you will be in for a fresh seafood treat you should not miss.

We had two glasses of wine, two beers, 18 oysters for a total of $77.50 not including tax and tip.