“Waffles and Ice Cream!”

Max Brenner
Ranked #252 of 4,339 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Cuisines: American
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: City Center West
Cross street: Between 15th & Locust
Transit: The Broad line, Broad St and Walnut St exit, on the subway. PATCO 15th and Locust
Description: Known worldwide as the ultimate destination for chocolate, Max Brenner is the perfect place to eat… and indulge. Fill up on Really Crunchy Mac & Cheese, a pressed waffle sandwich or our ever-popular Brenner Burger. But save room, because the main course is dessert. Experience chocolate to the fullest and enjoy hot chocolate, Choctails, fondues, sugar waffles and more. Our most iconic dishes are served in specially-designed ceramic utensils, turning chocolate consumption into a chocolate ceremony. So double dip, lick your fingers and forget to share because at Max Brenner there aren’t rules – all you have to do is really love chocolate.
Cape Elizabeth, Maine
“Waffles and Ice Cream!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2014

After hearing rave reviews about their chocolate we stopped in after noticing it on the street. We got there a little after the lunch crowd and the restaurant was almost empty. We were seated at a very small table with uncomfortable low-backed chairs. We eventually had to move tables because it wouldn't have been a relaxing experience otherwise. Our waiter was very knowledgeable and explained some of the treats and menu items to us. We tried the Cuban waffle sandwich which was very tasty. It came with waffle chips and a cucumber-tomato salad. For dessert we had a plate of 2 mini waffles with ice cream, homemade chocolate sauce and chocolate bits which I couldn't get enough of! I wish they did have more than 3 different types of ice cream though. Overall it was a fun experience and I would go back.

Suburban Philadelphia
“Late night post show desert”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2014 via mobile

This place smells like choc heaven. The fondue (seasonal) was great. I love the more European taste of their melted choc (I find American choc much more waxy). Even though we asked for extra fruit (and paid for it), not much more than enuf for 2 very modest eaters sharing! A few had ice cream with waffles etc. large serving that seemed to vanish fast I think it's b/c they didn't want to share! It u want just a morsel, try their choc pecans...heaven!

Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“Unique and varied menu”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2014

My family of 5 visited Max's place recently in Philly. The menu was unique and "cool" and the food was fantastic. The macaroni and cheese was one of the best, my kids have had. Anything chocolate we ordered was unbelievable...it better have been...LOL. The only negative was the service was a bit slow, other than that the food experience was great.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“ehhh, kinda gross...”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2014

unless you come here for just dessert, this place kinda stinks. Food is ok at best and they give you small portions. On the other hand the milkshakes are good. I'd never go back tho...like a novelty place.. or a chocolate themed TGI Fridays....

Bury St. Edmunds, United Kingdom
“Go for dessert and not much else...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2014

Stopped by for lunch with two friends. Wasn't very busy at all which is slightly worrisome at 1:30pm in the middle of a city.

On a big positive: having tried the milkshake I can only imagine how good many of the dessert items must be.

My 'Waffle Sandwich' however really wasn't anything special and seemed like it was a waffle for the sake of trying to tie all the savoury food items into the dessert idea. I also thought that it was a little over priced for what it was. Portion and food was distinctly average and at the price it was ($70 for 2 sandwiches, one appetizer, 2 milkshakes & a latte!!!) I didn't feel it was worth it at all.

I would however come back but only for a desert course.