“Go elsewhere if you're looking for hospitality”
Review of Giorgio on Pine

Giorgio on Pine
Ranked #117 of 4,357 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Special occasions, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Go elsewhere if you're looking for hospitality”
Reviewed November 2, 2013

Let me preface this review by saying that the wait staff was great - They deserve five stars. The owner, on the other hand, deserves ZERO.

My friends and I made a reservation at Giorgio's for dinner on a Friday night, and we ended up being almost a half hour late - I know. Bear with me. We call to let them know we're going to be late and whoever answers our call says that it was fine, and they'd save our table.

When we arrived for our reservation, the owner was standing in the front and greets us by saying that they had just given our table away to a couple (we were a group of four, and so he gave away a four-top to two people....). He then continues to throw a guilt trip on us for being late and explains that we cannot be upset that we now have to wait for a table because we were inconveniencing him by not showing up on time, even though we had already apologetically called to confirm that this wouldn't have been a problem. We would have had no qualms with going to another restaurant, given that this place is quite cramped (another downfall of eating here).

We decide to wait for our table, and we're sat after about 10 minutes. We had a wonderful experience with our waiter, who was more than accommodating and passionately details the menu and specials for us, uncorks our wine, and takes our orders. The owner then takes it upon himself to check in with us, interrupting our conversation, two or three times to ensure we're "enjoying our experience", but can't seem to help himself from reminding us how we were late and reiterating how accommodating he is for allowing us the privilege of dining in his establishment. And that's not the worst of it.

Here's the kicker - After eating and upon finishing our wine, the owner approaches our table and requests that we leave. Yes - He essentially implies us that, since we are no longer ordering food and since we are just enjoying our wine (which we brought since it's a BYO), that we should wrap things up and get going. How convenient for him at this point that we had already paid our bill! My friends and I blankly stare at him for probably a full 30 seconds, angrily finish our wine, and make our way out the door, without hesitating to tell him that he needn't worry about the inconvenience of serving us in the future, as we will NEVER return, and will be sure pass along the message that no one else should waste their time or hard-earned money on his blatant lack of hospitality and mediocre (at best) food.

If you're looking for good pasta, go to Little Italy in NYC. This place is not worth the degradation.

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank Summergirl464

Lehigh Valley, Pa
“Make a resie and dont expect quiet!”
Reviewed October 27, 2013 via mobile

Hubby and I ate there last night. We had 9; 00 resies and the place.was packed. There were many large groups so it was very loud! Once we were seated, a bus girl asked if she could have my chair and then hubbys. They seemed to have wanted our smaller ones so they could cram more people at a table. It was a bit rude. However, the food was excellent and a value. The byo option was great. We did enjoy people watching.

• Visited October 2013
Pennsylvania
“After or before theater choice”
Reviewed October 22, 2013

Giorgio's is our go-to choice after or before the theater. It is a BYO with great food, service, and pleasant ambiance. It can be noisy at times, but usually not. The grilled romaine app is a favorite.
This time I got a pork loin entree in a mushroom sauce that was tender, delicious, and may have been my favorite pork dish ever.

• Visited October 2013
New York City, New York
“I would never go back and I definitely don't recommend this to any of my Gluten Free friends!”
Reviewed September 25, 2013

Before visiting Philly, I read all the great reviews about the place. My daughter and I try to eat gluten free so we were very exited to try the gluten free pizza.
The place turned out to be a huge disappointment. It's a very small place, but nicely decorated. I ordered Gluten Free Pizza. My daughter had tuna special and my husband ordered chicken dish. They were all below par. They brought us gluten free bread and it was awful. You can buy a much better bread in any supermarket. Tuna was overcooked. My husband's chicken was also overcooked and flavorless. However the biggest disappointment was my pizza. It looked and tasted like cheap frozen supermarket pizza. The crust was grainy and had bad aftertaste. The toppings were a joke (please see picture). They charge a lot of money for it too! Awful experience overall! I would never go back and I definitely don't recommend this to any of my Gluten Free friends!

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank innaz1
Alexandria, Virginia, United States
“Delicious italian food at a great price!!”
Reviewed September 23, 2013

We dined here this past Saturday night and LOVED it!! The 4 of us couldn't stop talking about the food the next day. We live in DC but wish Giorgio was closer to us!!
Our waitress gave us her recommendations and they were all excellent! Both the 'pink sauce' and the braised beef ragout were delicious! The homemade linguine and gnocchi were amazing! Also, since this place is BYOB that is a very nice perk!! We will definitely be back here when we're in Philly next! Great food and great service!!

• Visited September 2013