“Good property. Decent location.”

Le Meridien Philadelphia
Ranked #25 of 86 Hotels in Philadelphia
GreenLeadersGold level
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Good property. Decent location.”
Reviewed July 7, 2014

We were happy with the stay. Le Meridien's are always funky hotels with neat decor.

Check in
They let us check in really early which was great. Plus they upgraded me because of my status for Starwood. We ere given a superior suite which meant we have an extra sitting room area.

Rooms
Again we were upgraded so we have a suite with an extra sitting room and we overlooked the square. Very good size room and we needed to have a pack & play in there which was not in the way at all. The kids loved to climb up and look out the large window.

Bathroom
Decent size and no problem with hot water right away.

Beds
Sheraton properties always seem to have great beds and this was no exception.

Internet
I expected better especially when it costs $15 for non elite SPG members.

Parking
This really annoyed me. Parking is $48. When you check in they give you a ticket and tell you its $40 plus tax. It like they make a point of telling you plus tax. Just tell me its $48 with tax. I felt like they tried to hid the fact it was going to cost an extra 20%.
As for the valets they were quick. We always had the car there when we needed it.

Overall it was just fine. If I was going again I might try a different Starwood property just because I didn't feel it was anything great, just another hotel, but I would not be upset if I had to stay there again.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (298)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed July 7, 2014

We recently stayed at Le Meridien Philadelphia from 6/28 till 7/4. Our reason for visit was related to our daughter surgery at the local hospital. Given our situation it seemed like entire hotel staff made their best effort to make our stay utmost comfortable. We sincerely appreciate the efforts made by the staff and specially want to thank Mike, Misha, Abdoul, Peter, Jessica, Victoria and Mohammed in making our stay extremely comfortable. Le Meridien staff even went above and beyond and they bought gifts/souvenirs for our 3 year old daughter and 8 year old son. Again we sincerely appreciate the best service provided by the staff at Le Meridien Philadelphia.

Room Tip: Rooms are spacious and very well decorated.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
North Syracuse, NY
Reviewed July 7, 2014

The Staff and services were superb from the moment I pulled up to the curb. The Bellman, Guest Services staff, and Housekeeping went above and beyond. I run a Hotel so I'm always looking for ways another property can improve their performance. Great job and thank you Jessica for the upgrade.

Room Tip: Be sure to tip the staff.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Bayside, New York
Reviewed July 4, 2014

I decided to give the Le Meridien a try with some of my usual hotels in Philly booked or overpriced, and liked it but not enough to jump ahead of my mainstays. It's centrally located right by City Hall, although while walking back to my room after dinner each night, you do encounter a few of Philly's homeless in the plaza across the street.

As other reviewers have commented, the entrance to the hotel is different - and I'm on the side of not liking it. You think you are entering a lounge or bar with dim lights, and not a hotel. So the lobby / ground floor layout was a bit off for me with its layout and the low lights.

The hallways of the upper floors with the guest rooms were all well lit, and I looked the look and feel of the interior - it was unique that you typically don't see in a hotel.
Looking at the layout of my floor, it looked like there are different types of room layouts and sizes with a few on each floor facing the interior. My room was on the small room size variety with an external view to a parking lot.

The room made good use of its small size with the closet and desk and a good sized bathroom with a good sized stand-in shower (which I prefer). The room also had the usual amenities you would expect, with one big plus- free internet (albeit a little slow), which is surprising nowadays.

The bed was comfortable with a number of pillows available making for a decent night sleep. Also, if you want a little light in the room, leaving the closet slightly ajar gives a nice little night light feel to the room.

The desk in the room was a little uncomfortable - it was higher than your typical hotel room desk.. and they had a high chair in the room where your feet would not be touching the ground, but the thin metal rod beneath the chair. With no shows on, that thin rod was an unfortunately place to rest your feet on.

I also took advantage of the gym which was a typical sized gym but filled with good equipment and amenities.

I would look to stay here again under similar circumstances when visiting Philly for business.. but would still explore other options

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
EvanGM, General Manager at Le Meridien Philadelphia, responded to this review, July 8, 2014
Petertom,

Thank you for trying our hotel and sharing your feedback. I am delighted you enjoyed our central location across from City Hall and Love Park. Our hotel does have a non-traditional arrival that is unique. When we rescued this historic building from the wrecking ball, there were many things that limited our flexibility on the first 3 floors. One was the location of the bar. So there is sits, right at the entrance. Some enjoy the arrival into an activity center, while others are looking for something more subdued after traveling all day.

You are very perceptive. We do have many different room types, again the beauty of a century old new classic building. I am glad you enjoyed a comfortable bed. Thank you for your comments on the desk chair. We purposely put it at higher level to make the work surface comfortable while standing or seated on the high stool. You are correct on the thin stainless steel bar as a foot rest and I will certainly consider that when we replace the desk stool. We would be more than happy to deliver slippers to you room should you find that more comfortable.

Thank you for your business and review. I hope we have earned the opportunity to serve you again.

Enjoy your summer,
Evan
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed July 4, 2014

We booked this place on Hotwire and got a great deal on our room. I don't know what other people are complaining about when it comes to this place. My room was more than big enough with a full mini bar and king bed. We had a room on the 9th floor with a view because I asked and they graciously gave it to me. Everyone was nice and helpful from the valets, to the receptionist and servers. The best person we interacted with was Willy the bartender. If he is there during your stay you are lucky because he is really great. He makes great drinks and makes you feel welcome. The building was very clean and so was my room. I don't have outrageously high standards like some people who think everything should be like the building is brand new when it isn't. If you want a great place to stay where every one is friendly and helpful and where the building is close to everything then Le Meridien is the place.

The only downside to me was the expensive valet parking that was $40 per night and that seemed to pretty much be the only option to park here.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view. They'll give it to you!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed July 2, 2014

This place is really nice, the rooms are unique, the service is great, the location is excellent (except there was a lot of construction in the area when we stayed). My only drawback would be the price- it's very expensive for what it is. Also, request a room with a view so you don't get stuck looking at a wall. There's a cool urban park across the street that's work overlooking, or at least checking out the next day!

If you're in Philly over the winter, definitely check out the Christmas Village in Love Park a few blocks away!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Hannah M
New York City, New York
Reviewed July 1, 2014

The positives and negatives of Philadelphia's Le Meridien alternate almost like clockwork. You enter the hotel up steep and unattractive steps (very institutional, not wheelchair friendly) and find yourself in front of a nondescript bar with a big TV -- not very classy. The entire entry room is simply not well designed or well decorated. It's not at all clear where the reception desk is -- oh there it is, around a blind corner, small and hidden away.

But then … the receptionists are exceedingly friendly. They quickly get you what you need and answer all your questions accurately and graciously.

But then … you walk through brown-carpeted hallways with a musty smell to your room.

But then … the room you enter is seemingly well decorated with moderne furnishings.

Until … you realize that the room is sort of small, the modest single window has a partially blocked view, and the armoire doors have trouble closing properly.

But then … you step into the roomy bathroom, with its big mirror and stylish vanity.

Until … you notice the industrial-looking shower, without bathtub, and the unimpressive bath products.

But then … your room service arrives with a delicious bouillabaisse (though with toasts bearing insipid aioli), decent caesar salad, and warm crusty baguette.

And further … you climb into an extremely comfortable bed, with soft pressed sheets and awesomely pliant hypoallergenic pillow, and have a fabulous night's sleep.

But then … you wake up and take a shower where the faucet has huge ranges of freezing cold water and scalding hot water but only an itty-bitty and elusive sweet-spot of bearably warm water. And then you notice that the housekeeper never emptied the prior occupant's (surprising amount of) garbage from the bathroom rubbish bin.

But then the WSJ is waiting outside your door, checkout is quick and friendly, and when the receptionist hears about the prior occupant's (surprising amount of) garbage left in the bathroom rubbish bin, he graciously and unexpectedly offers some additional SPG points in compensation.

As the title says, the friendly staff and comfy beds turn this three-star physical plant into a four-star hotel.

Room Tip: Try to get a room without a partially obstructed view.
Green Features: Plastic-wrapped soaps are a no-no. Why not use soaps wrapped in recycled paper?
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business