“Philadelphia Beauty!”

Le Meridien Philadelphia
Ranked #25 of 88 Hotels in Philadelphia
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed December 18, 2013

Love this hotel, right in the heart of downtown Philadelphia and it's beautiful. The staff is so accommodating and pleasant! Enjoyed the lobby bar and the opportunity to wander around town! This was our second stay and we will return!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
EvanGM, General Manager at Le Meridien Philadelphia, responded to this reviewResponded December 30, 2013

Suzanne,

Thank you for the FIVE STAR review! Thank you for choosing to return to our hotel and I hope we can continue to serve you.

Happy New Year and safe travels,

Reviewed December 16, 2013

I recently spent a weekend at Le Meridien with a friend and her children and was really pleased overall. The location was a doable walk, very pretty actually over the bridge if one didn't have much luggage, from the train station but, otherwise an inexpensive taxi ride. It was also superbly located, again, for the most part within walking distance, to most attractions which was a great way to get the feel of Philly. The staff was very polite and accomodating. Also, of note, comfortable beds, good shower, nice "business center" where you could go on the computers and, most significantly, dark and quiet!

Room Tip: We stayed on the sixth floor and were very pleased.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 11, 2013

I arrived too early from the airport for check-in, but the friendly front-desk associate stored my bags and told me about the tourist trolley service stop about one block from the hotel (with three days of meetings starting on Monday I was dead-set on having some fun and spent a Sunday afternoon at the zoo). Before heading out, I enjoyed a very good (but pricey) breakfast. If you desire something quicker, cheaper, greasier and far from healthy, head over to the McDonald's next door. I took advantage of room service later than evening, and while it was just a salad and sandwich, it was one of the best room service meals I enjoyed in a long time.
Both the dining room and room service wait staff were very courteous and professional. These individuals, along with the young man who checked me in, and the gentlemen who stored my luggage, understand what good customer service means. I wish all the associates at this property could understand that a bit of kindness and concern go a long way for a weary traveler, but more on that later...
The layout of the hotel has an modern and interesting design but it's a bit confusing to navigate with only four hours of sleep the night before. I was shocked by the small size of the room. There was barely sufficient space to set up the suitcase and "spread out".
While the furniture is aesthetically pleasing, it isn't very practical, and at times painful. Case in point: the computer chair was great to look at but less than comfortable. Let's just say that for those of us of a certain advanced age who are quickly losing the fat in our bums and gaining it in our stomachs, this is not an ideal chair for sitting on for more than half an hour. The bed was o.k. but I think it needs to be either flipped or replaced. I slept well (thanks to a couple of beers) but had the sensation I was sleeping on the side of a hill.
I can overlook that fact the room faced some drab buildings, but the lack of any natural light was depressing.
It didn't seem so claustrophobic in the bathroom--there was sufficient space to move around and I really liked the walk-in shower, but the maid did a poor job cleaning it. I also noticed the bedroom furniture was not dusted.
The next morning, I called down to check out over the phone. Whomever it was who answered the phone curtly replied this was impossible. How can a hotel, located in a major east-coast city, not have express check-out? Or was it that she just didn't want to be bothered to take the time and trouble to check me out?
It is this kind of individual, with a lack of a work ethic and social skills that sabotage the efforts of the ones who do care.
What a shame.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank purpleknif67
Reviewed December 6, 2013

The hotel is located a stone's throw from City Hall, Suburban Station, Market Street and the Parkway. The Art Institute is nearby as well. It is a great location for doing business in Centre City.

The hotel itself is in an older building, but the interior is modern and functional.The rooms themselves are well appointed but on the smallish side, as one might expect from an older hotel in the CBD.Room service was prompt, and the food there and in the in-house restaurant was quite good. The front guest staff were friendly and accommodating. I would stay there again.

Room Tip: If you want a view or natural light be sure to request an outward facing room, as the atrium on whic...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed December 6, 2013

This is an extremely well situated hotel and a delightful change from other fine hotels where I have stayed. Modern decor is minimalist and refreshing. Service is quite good. I would definitely returned.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 5, 2013

Hard to believe this was a YMCA. The rooms are hip and modern. The bathrooms are large and I LOVE that the counters are high... so rare at a hotel. Flip side is that the bed was rather low, which I kind of liked, actually. Good wireless connection, a comfy bathrobe and plenty of tasty tea and coffee made it a good and relaxing stay after business meetings all day. Big plus is the lobby bar. What's more relaxing than walking straight in to the posh bar area upon entering the hotel? Most of the time it's registration that greets you but Le Meridien has their priorities straight. Make people feel relaxed and welcome. Registration? Oh, that's around the corner... you really only need it twice during your stay anyway.

Room Tip: Rooms are all different sizes. Good idea to ask for what you prefer.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
EvanGM, General Manager at Le Meridien Philadelphia, responded to this reviewResponded December 6, 2013

SAE,

Thank you for the great review! I am delighted you connected with and appreciated the juxtaposition between hip and vintage.

One of the greatest elements of our story is the YMCA heritage. The building has always had an energy and soul of hospitality.

Thank you for your business and we look forward to serving you again.

Happy Holidays,

Reviewed December 5, 2013

After my experience in NYC (see previous review), I was prepared for the worst.
What I got was realllllly nice.
This property is very lovely. Right in the heart of downtown, near Rittenhouse, and the Comcast building and yes, you can see the Rocky museum up ahead.

The interior or the rooms is modern, but the brick work as you enter, in the lobby, is wonderful.
Really. They did a nice job!

The ONLY thing I would say about this place is that they charge for coffee.
For real.
You had to order room service. You could not just go down to the lobby and grab a cup.
Why?
Come on now Meridien...even my crappy Sheraton up in NYC allowed me free coffee. Fix that one.

Other than that, I really enjoyed this stay and will more than likely stay there again.
(Unless I find a place that serves coffee:) )
Because of that

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends

MBB

Thank you for the 5 STAR review! Coming from a veteran traveler and reviewer, your comments are much appreciated.

I am glad you enjoyed our location close to everything: Rittenhouse, Comcast and of course the iconic Rocky statue just up the parkway at the Philadelphia Museum of Art.

As for the coffee, your feedback is appreciated. Amuse features and serves Illy Coffee, globally recognized as some of the finest coffee available. I hope you had the opportunity to taste some, as it is incredible. Of course we also have complimentary coffee and coffee makers in each guest room should you prefer your java the privacy of your own room.

Thank you for the compliments on the interior of our rooms!

I hope to share a cup of Illy Coffee with you on your next visit,