“Wonderful Minimalist Style Hotel” 5 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Le Meridien Philadelphia
Ranked #32 of 85 Hotels in Philadelphia
GreenLeadersGold level
“Wonderful Minimalist Style Hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 6, 2013 via mobile

This is an extremely well situated hotel and a delightful change from other fine hotels where I have stayed. Modern decor is minimalist and refreshing. Service is quite good. I would definitely returned.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (281)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2013

Hard to believe this was a YMCA. The rooms are hip and modern. The bathrooms are large and I LOVE that the counters are high... so rare at a hotel. Flip side is that the bed was rather low, which I kind of liked, actually. Good wireless connection, a comfy bathrobe and plenty of tasty tea and coffee made it a good and relaxing stay after business meetings all day. Big plus is the lobby bar. What's more relaxing than walking straight in to the posh bar area upon entering the hotel? Most of the time it's registration that greets you but Le Meridien has their priorities straight. Make people feel relaxed and welcome. Registration? Oh, that's around the corner... you really only need it twice during your stay anyway.

Room Tip: Rooms are all different sizes. Good idea to ask for what you prefer.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
EvanGM, General Manager at Le Meridien Philadelphia, responded to this review, December 6, 2013
SAE,

Thank you for the great review! I am delighted you connected with and appreciated the juxtaposition between hip and vintage.

One of the greatest elements of our story is the YMCA heritage. The building has always had an energy and soul of hospitality.

Thank you for your business and we look forward to serving you again.

Happy Holidays,
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2013

After my experience in NYC (see previous review), I was prepared for the worst.
What I got was realllllly nice.
This property is very lovely. Right in the heart of downtown, near Rittenhouse, and the Comcast building and yes, you can see the Rocky museum up ahead.

The interior or the rooms is modern, but the brick work as you enter, in the lobby, is wonderful.
Really. They did a nice job!

The ONLY thing I would say about this place is that they charge for coffee.
For real.
You had to order room service. You could not just go down to the lobby and grab a cup.
Why?
Come on now Meridien...even my crappy Sheraton up in NYC allowed me free coffee. Fix that one.

Other than that, I really enjoyed this stay and will more than likely stay there again.
(Unless I find a place that serves coffee:) )
Because of that

Green Features: I select the Eco-green option every time. I opted for the points so that they didn't have to come in and wash linens every day. Come on now.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
MBB

Thank you for the 5 STAR review! Coming from a veteran traveler and reviewer, your comments are much appreciated.

I am glad you enjoyed our location close to everything: Rittenhouse, Comcast and of course the iconic Rocky statue just up the parkway at the Philadelphia Museum of Art.

As for the coffee, your feedback is appreciated. Amuse features and serves Illy Coffee, globally recognized as some of the finest coffee available. I hope you had the opportunity to taste some, as it is incredible. Of course we also have complimentary coffee and coffee makers in each guest room should you prefer your java the privacy of your own room.

Thank you for the compliments on the interior of our rooms!

I hope to share a cup of Illy Coffee with you on your next visit,
Worcester, England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2013

We recently staying at Le Meridien in Philadelphia for 2 nights, wish we had stayed longer to be honest. This hotel is superb. We were a little nervous about staying here at it didn't show up in any guides or recommendations but on getting to the hotel and having a very good check-in experience, we were delighted with our choice. The room we had was very nice, well equipped, and being on the back of the building, was fairly quite. With plenty to see in Philly, the hotel is ideally placed so that walking to all of the main sights and attractions doesn't take long. All in all, a great experience

Room Tip: We had a room on the back of the building so away from the main road out front
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
EvanGM, General Manager at Le Meridien Philadelphia, responded to this review, November 29, 2013
JuSlaughter,

Thank you for the FIVE STAR review and great comments! I hope your next journey across the Atlantic will allow you to stay with us for more than a couple of days.

Wishing you safe travels,
Brooklyn, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2013

This was my first stay at Le Meridien i found the room clean with a nice scent but nothing special about the room, it was a good size room but seemed very sterile for my liking,

Pros, Its located in the down town area so everything is walking distance.
Pro the gym area was basic with a few treadmill and and free wights but it was clean
Pro the bar and lobby area are very welcoming so if you dont feel like going outside having a few drinks would work out just fine at the hotel area
Pro the oddly located business area in the center area of the hotel on the 5fl floor is pretty cool with a view of the skylight
Pro i found the door man and the staff very friendly

Con's parking if your going to use the hotels parking its going to cost you over 40$ but thier is a lot around the corner so if you make a right on 16th ave and make another right you would find a lot with more forgiving prices.
Con's bathroom area is cheap looking does not have smooth flow
Con's rooms have small windows, personally i like large windows to let the day light or night in

The hotel was clean, easy to get to, and the staff was friendly

Room Tip: If your not part of starwoods join for free, it lets you have free wifi and maybe a room upgrade
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Yaroslav,

Thank you for sharing your feedback. It is always helpful to get the pro’s and con’s, allow us to focus on doing more of what we do great and improving some others.

I’m delighted you enjoyed our clean room, great walking location and welcoming lobby bar. Your comments about the parking are a reality of hotels in Center City. Thank you for offering the TA community a traveler tip that less expensive self-parking alternatives exist. Our staff are available to provide directions to one of those lots (please note their rates change frequently) while unloading your travel bags.

I appreciate your business and hope we have the opportunity to serve you again!

Happy Holidays
San Francisco, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2013

I'm one who generally finds the glass half full, but I was astonished at how this hotel consistently failed to meet any average expectations. Generally, you can trust the Meridian and Starwood brand, however my stay lacked good amenities and proper customer service. The location of hotel in downtown Philadelphia, near convention center and shops/restaurants on Chestnut and Walnut streets were the sole positive notes.

In summary, my room was extremely small, a mere concrete box with no natural light. Guest services lacked any enthusiasm for the hospitality industry and the front of house team made my checkout seem like a dreadful chore. At least the employees at the door were very friendly and went out of their way to help us get a taxi on a busy Friday.

Room Tip: If you want your room pitch black and quiet, aim for a room along interior core. if you want some n...
Green Features: the hotel did offer a special points program for guests who wanted to skip their regular room clean. i thought this was a good trade-off for those who really aren't using room for much more than to sleep and get ready for business.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Carlos,

Thank you for sharing your experience. Allow me to apologize that it did not meet your expectations. It is unusual that we get comments like yours and I would greatly appreciate you contacting me with your date of stay and room number so I can investigate our missed opportunities.

I do hope you would consider our hotel again so that we can demonstrate our commitment to excellent service and hospitality.

Respectfully,
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here on a business trip and the hotel overall was nice. The food and service in the restaurant and bar were great too. The bed was comfortable.

I was a little disappointed with my room, the hotel didn't seem full and I wasn't given an upgrade (even though I'm SPG Gold) I had a view of the car park and I could hear kids screaming at 6;30am from next door.

Other than that it is a nice hotel. Only tip I have is the check-in counter is to the left of the bar and around the corner. It's a bit confusing when you first enter straight into the bar.

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business