“Nice Hotel, Wrong Address”

Le Meridien Philadelphia
Ranked #26 of 88 Hotels in Philadelphia
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed March 31, 2013

Le Meridien is a Starwood property, and the brand has French origins. The hotel is stylish and modern, but kept some of the old touches of the faux Georgian building that now houses the hotel. We were here for one night, and the staff was helpful and friendly. We didn't eat at the restaurant, but it is an interestingly designed hotel bar/restaurant with communal tables. On a Saturday night it was surprisingly empty, so whatever buzz this place might have had must be gone. The room was modern with comfortable beds and pleasant wood and lacquer furnishings. It was also very, very small, smaller than a room in Philadelphia should be, and stuffy to boot. In New York City, rooms are often this small, but elsewhere it just seems stingy. My real problem with Le Meridien is its location, a block off City Hall and close to the Broad Street entrance of the convention center. However, there are no restaurants or attractions in the surrounding blocks, and the establishments that share the hotel's block are all pretty dingy. If you're going to open a nice hotel, put it somewhere that MATTERS, or where visitors would be pleased to roam. Le Meridien has a lot going for it, but unless I had business at City Hall or had to be at the convention center at 8:30 a.m., I'd pick another neighborhood. Come on Philadelphia, make the Broad Street North area worthy of this hotel. Bring some life to this dirty construction site of a a neighborhood.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank pickynotsnooty
Write a ReviewReviews (1,378)

Reviewed March 30, 2013

This is my second night at the hotel. I've been very happy with the service and the room. When we first checked in, they had not reserved a rollaway bed for my daughter and had no extras in reserve--so the manager gave us a suite at the same price, even though we were Priceline customers. The room is beautiful, the staff are helpful and friendly, and I love the modern decor of the lobby. Also, they offer a $10 bar credit if you forego housekeeping services, a good green practice. Location is great for sightseeing. My only complaints, very minor, are that the room fridge will charge you if you even pick up an item (but we were warned about this) and the fitness center machines measure everything in metric. If you want to add a program to the treadmill you need to know your weight in kilos. Otherwise no complaints. It seems like an impeccably-run hotel.

• Stayed: March 2013
Reviewed March 30, 2013 via mobile

Class act--when front desk staff could not locate a roll-away bed for our daughter, the manager upgraded us to a suite for our two nights' stay.  The kicker: we were Priceline customers. Beautiful rooms, good bed.

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank sgunther
Reviewed March 30, 2013

I stayed with a group of clients at the Le Meridien Philadelphia this past week for just one night. I was upgraded to a suite since I was paying for all of the rooms. I had arranged beforehand to register and receive our keys immediately on arrival. Unfortunately, that didn't happen--and the front desk manager was not particularly friendly or apologetic about not following up on this pre-arranged request.

The hotel is very stylish and well located just a block off the City Hall within easy walking distance to great restaurants, stores, etc.

My suite was nicely sized, though the living room furniture was oddly laid out, arranged so as to leave a huge gap near the window and crammed closer to the entry doorway--not well thought out. The bedroom was more appropriately arranged, with a very comfortable bed. The bath was on the smaller size but still perfectly acceptable.

My suite's air con didn't seem to be working, and since I was on the 5th floor with heat rising from other rooms below me (it was quite cold outside), I asked when leaving for dinner for it be remedied. On my return, the air con was pushing more air but it still wasn't cold air--and the temperature never fell below 70 F in the room. If air con is important to you like me, this is a FAIL.

If I were sure the air con would work better, I would still consider the hotel for the room rate. But if you depend like me on functioning, effective air con, I would be hesitant. Being in a suite, one would expect to have better than average functionality, and that wasn't the case for this night. Between the poor customer service by the front desk manager handling our group check-in (e.g. no apology, no acknowledgment of the error, etc.) and the ineffective air con, I give 3 out of 5 stars.

Room Tip: You can choose between courtyard facing rooms (which could be louder or more quiet depending on hote...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Bill R
Reviewed March 29, 2013

The room was nice and clean. Our check-in was delayed, but we were compensated for that with a better room and free internet. To charge for internet is a bit 1995, and it is bad that you can only use the internet for one unit. The compensation (food credit) for reduced room up-keeping is a very good policy, but I couldn't use the voucher, the arrogant waiter down at the restaurant would let me order anything at 11:20, apparently the time has to be 11:30.

Le Meridien has a good system for pay per view.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank London2014
Reviewed March 26, 2013

I was in Philadelphia for a quick visit to attend a concert. The staff at Le Meridien were extremely helpful in assisting me with a crash course of the Philadelphia subway system. The decor is very modern, sleek and hip and the music they softly pipe through the hallways and elevator is great. The location seems like it's in a great spot for touring although I didn't have time for that. Great bathrooms, plush bed - overall a very nice hotel.

The only downside is that it's a little odd getting into reception. The front doors lead you into the bar and you have to know to walk to the left. There's no signage and it's very strange traipsing through the bar with your luggage to check-in. It would make me less likely to use the bar as well.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed March 19, 2013

The compensation (food credit) for reduced room upkeeping is a very good policy.
The Concierge service is very proactive and efficient.

Only minus: it is surprising, nowaday, to see charges for room internet.
As far as the "Business Center" is concerned, it could easily be upgraded ... .

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
EvanGM, General Manager at Le Meridien Philadelphia, responded to this reviewResponded March 22, 2013

Louisam663,

Thank you for your kind comments. I’m delighted to hear you took advantage of our “green choice” which helps to reduce our carbon footprint and rewards you with SPG points or a credit for our bar and restaurant. We currently have plans to upgrade the technology in our business center and look forward to being able to offer that by this summer.

As a tip for all travelers, we do offer complimentary WiFi in the lobby, restaurant, bar and a hard connection in the business center.

I hope we have the opportunity to serve you again and thank you for your business and feedback.
Safe travels,