“Lovely Inside / Valet Parking Thoughts”

Le Meridien Philadelphia
Ranked #29 of 85 Hotels in Philadelphia
GreenLeadersGold level
Boston, Massachusetts
“Lovely Inside / Valet Parking Thoughts”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2013

It's truly a lovely hotel. The staff is friendly. Rooms are clean and new. We had a nice view.

However, I did want to touch on the $38 daily for valet parking. On the surface, I totally understand the fee and it is true that it's in line with other spots in the city. As the hotel has noted on this site multiple times, the valet will gladly direct you to a less expensive option nearby. My question for them is this: multiple hotel employees advised us it might not be too safe walk a few blocks from the hotel at night to dinner, and they advised taking cabs to our destinations. So do they expect their visitors who arrive at night to park somewhere where by their own admission it's not safe? I totally understand that there has to be a fee for the valet service (especially since they've chosen to use an outside contractor, Towne Park), but it seems slightly disingenuous to tell people to park offsite when you're also telling guests from out of town that it might not be safe.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Matt F

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (289)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Perry, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2013

This was our first trip to Philadelphia and we were planning to go to the Philadelphia Flower Show..there was no information available at the hotel on our arrival evening and the concierge was not expected until noon the next day. I went to get info on my iPad and found that there is complimentary wifi ONLY on the weekends! I guess all the people on the couches in the lobby clutching their laptops should have been a clue..next there were bottles of water in the room ( brand name Nestles...like you buy by the case at big box stores) with price tags of 3 dollars each hanging off of their necks. Of course there was no complimentary breakfast and parking was 38 dollars a night.. I must say that the rooms were beautiful and we found them to be very clean and quiet...but when traveling most of my time is spent out of the room..... I do feel certain amenities are to be expected when paying a premium price for accommodations. We did find our own parking ramp for 18 dollars a night one block away.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Susan P
Winnipeg, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2013

This is one great hotel with excellent service. It is very close to the Convention Centre and all the sites of Philadelphia.
The staff are very helpful and friendly. The rooms are very funky and are a great size.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
EvanGM, General Manager at Le Meridien Philadelphia, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
Robert,

Thank you for your kind comments and sharing your experience with the Trip Advisor audience. I'm delighted you enjoyed our central location and found our associates friendly and helpful.

We look forward to serving you again when you return to Philadelphia.

Safe travels,
Evan
evan.gm@lemeridienphiladelphia.com
Santa Monica, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2013

Pros: Location is great. Two blocks from Suburban Station (don't let the name fool you -- this station is in the center of Philadelphia) so it's easy and inexpensive to take the SEPTA train from the airport. Very quiet - my room was directly on Arch Street but I never heard a car horn or anything else. I also never heard another guest. Room was very clean (don't we expect that, though?) Gym facility is adequate, with three treadmills and weights. All the treadmills had working TVs.
Cons: I'm Platinum Starwood, and my 'upgraded' room was pretty basic, so I can't imagine what the regular rooms are like. The bed was NOT a Heavenly bed. It was lumpy and uncomfortable. The ultra modern decor clashes with the grandeur of the building. Most important, the concierge called every day to see if he could be helpful, however, the rest of the staff is in severe need of training. When a guest says 'thank you' for example, the employee's reply should not be 'no problem' (I know it's not a problem, front desk clerk, you are getting paid to provide a service!) or 'yep!' (what does 'yep' mean in response to 'thank you'?) There is no lift or ramp to the street, just two flights of stairs. As I was exiting the building alone with two heavy bags, two doormen stood by and watched me struggle (one barely looked up from his cell phone), and a third finally bounded up from outside past them to help me. There appears to be no adult supervision or training for the staff, which is unfortunate for an otherwise fine hotel. I won't be coming back.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank TravelinSusan2010
San Diego, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2013

Forget the huge, bland hotels and stay here! The lobby, lounge and bar areas are intimate, relaxing and inviting, with 3 fireplaces. The staff were intelligent and gracious, without exception. The food in the dining room was high quality, healthy and fresh. Our room decor was modern yet comfy; spotlessly clean, furnishings showed no sign of wear, and the bed made for a great night's sleep. Although our first room had a window into the guest business area of the atrium (?!) we were switched as soon as another was available, and had a fabulous view of the historic city hall.

Room Tip: Inquire about the view from your window.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Alexandria, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2013

Spent a night here for a trip for the Flower Show and visit with family. I could not have been more pleased with the stay. The guest room was large and comfortable, and while I did not have the most wonderful view, I was not in my room long enough to care that the blinds were drawn--there is so much to do in the area. Two blocks from the convention center and the wonderful Reading Market, and an easy walk to restaurants and shopping. A lovely conversion of an historic building, as well.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Atlantic City, New Jersey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2013

The rooms are stylish and in good condition, but I wasn't compeletely impressed. I'm not a fan of atrium style hotels due to the noise that seem to just reverb around, and it seemed like the Le Meridien wasn't immune. The walls are thin, but the beds are comfortable...so if it's not a busy night , I suppose you can get a decent night's sleep. We weren't so lucky and had to turn out a white noise app on our phone to drown out the noise. There are way better options in Philly. In addition, the location isn't really happening.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple