“Definitely different--perhaps edgy!” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersGold level
Hollywood, Florida
“Definitely different--perhaps edgy!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

From the get-go the Le Meridien is definitely different. Located in downtown Philly, across from municipal buidlings and within blocks of City Hall, the SEPTA Surburban Station, the convention center, scores of office buildings, Reading Market and about a 10 minute walk to Rittenhouse Square, the hotel has much going for it. The rooms, though a bit small are quite comfortable but not all rooms have an city view--many look into an atrium that (to me ) is a turn-off. The neighborhood around the hotel is lively during the day but at night one be a bit on-guard. In fact, on the second night there we took the SEPTA back from the suburbs, got off at 30th street station and took a cab to the hotel thus choosing not to walk by groups of loiterers on neighboring streets. Some of the hotel staff described the place as edgy meaning it was a bit daring perhaps provocative. Clearly it seems to appeal most to a young hip crowd--this was evident in two ways: First, when you walk into the lobby you are greeted by a very modern bar/lounge called "Le Bar at Amuse." The restaurant also, the Amuse, was full on the night we ate there with no one over the age of 50 except for the waiter and my wife and me. The staff were very attentive and the fitness room was small but adequate. Although I would recommend this hotel my wife and I decided that in the future when we stay in Center City our first choice will be the Westin.

Room Tip: Get a room with a street view!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (263)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

We just spent one night here and found it great for our needs. The hotel is walking distance from the train station, the one that you can take direct to the airport. I arrived off of a red-eye flight and didn't expect to be able to check in, but was given a room before 8am. I have Platinum status and was hoping for an upgraded room, but didn't get one. In fact, we were in a small room with 2 double beds. I didn't want to complain though as I was glad to be able to get in the room so early.

The room was your typical Le Meridien room with stylish minimalist decor. We had a really nice view from our room and outside of the rooms, the hotel had more of historic feel which was cool.

The location seemed to be good for most of our needs - I loved that the Reading Terminal was so closeby and ate several meals there. I was also able to walk to the Liberty Bell and some of the other sites. When we went to dinner that night, we headed to a different part of town and had to take a cab, but it was also very cold at night.

Getting a cab was fairly easy, but not a breeze, although it seemed to be much faster when we needed a cab during the day versus at night. The entrance to the hotel is a bit cumbersome, especially since they don't always have a doorman waiting right there to take your bags. You have to walk up several sets of stairs before you're in the lobby area.

Overall, I think this is a good choice for Philly.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 4 of 5 stars
EvanGM, General Manager at Le Meridien Philadelphia, responded to this review, February 7, 2013
Thank you for your great comments and feedback.

I am delighted you enjoyed our central location and proximity to the many great in Philadelphia. Thank you for your Starwood loyalty and I am glad we were able to accommodate your early arrival. You may have been upgraded to a premium room in recognition of your Platinum status. The room as you described it offered a view, which is our superior room. We may not have been able to upgrade you to a suite due to the early arrival and I’m hopeful you will return so that we might have that opportunity.

Please feel free to contact me if I can ever be of service. 215.422.8200 or evan.gm@lemeridienphiladelphia.com

Safe travels,
Evan
Rio Rancho, NM
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013 via mobile

This building has been many different things since its inception as a YMCA. The building was O shaped with an atrium in the middle. They put a roof over the opening, and closed it off below the 5th floor, but it's a nice touch when you walk off the elevator and see it. The music through the halls and the atrium section is nice without being obtrusive. The lobby area is very chic and modern. The bar and restaurant area are pretty cool. My only suggestion is to clean the "bubbles" in the restaurant area. The room is very european in design. Low bed, counter desk, modern looking seat, and the bathroom made me feel like I was in Germany again. The bed if comfortable, pillows great, and the chair although strange looking, is very comfortable. The TV is big, the wardrobe is big, and the addition of a room safe is great. I wish they would take the stuff out of the fridge so I could use it, but it's filled with overpriced stuff that I don't want. The location is great. Very convenient to everything. I do highly recommend this hotel. I did hear from a fellow patron that her HVAC wasn't up to snuff. Mine has been fine.

Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Chris_Tretta
Marlboro, New Jersey, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013 via mobile

I spent most of my nights in the last 3 weeks in hotels so the prospect of this weekend in another hotel (this time with the family) was not really positive for me.
From the moment I stepped into this hotel I understood it is different. I have never walked into a hotel where there is a hip-bar right in front of me (the front desk is "hidden" behind a wall on the right). The decor is amazing and the background music fun). The rare combination of modern and classic makes you feel great.
The inside of the hotel is as-impressive. A combination of red bricks and ultra-modern hall sidings is very pleasant.
The room is spacious and well equipt. The bed is comfortable with choice of large or smaller pillows.
The hotel is well-located for convention participants or tourists. There are many restaurants in walking distance. The Franklin museum is walking distance and the art museum a bit farther-off. Going to the independence park is a bit farther (there is a subway station in front of the hotel).
In short - a great experience!

• Stayed February 2013
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

This place has a cool vibe. We stayed for two nights. We arrived in Philadelphia late the first night, the service was great getting us to our room quickly so we could sleep. Very comfortable room and beds. The bar downstairs is nice. It was a good location for walking to museums and restaurants.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank carabe520
Tucson, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

Stayed at the Le Merdien Philadelphia for one night. This is the second time here. It is a very modern hotel. The inside of the hotel has the orginal bricks from the original building. It look very nice. The rooms are small but the bathroom was large with a shower only. I am a SPG Platnuim so the internet was free but runs normally for $9.99 which is cheaper then most hotels. There is no coffee in the room and the water is $3.00 even for SPG members.

Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
NY, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

The location of the hotel is relatively convenient to SEPTA train system and easily walkable to Reading Terminal. Other areas of interest might be a longer walk or bus or taxi ride. All in all, we found it convenient. There is construction going on immediately next door and, in general, the area looks unimpressive. Inside, however, the hotel has style, in particular with the central atrium. We liked our room, though it was a bit stuffy/funky when we first checked in. We called down and someone w/ a spray to remove/refresh the smell was sent, and then we were fine. Room service was decent.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple