“big price, tiny room”

Le Meridien Philadelphia
Ranked #25 of 88 Hotels in Philadelphia
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed October 9, 2012

I was looking forward to staying at Le Meridien but was terribly disappointed. Instead of walking into a refined lobby, we walked into a bar/lounge. The reception desk was around the corner. Check in was quick. The receptionist asked for our credit card to charge the room, but I pointed out we had prepaid. She checked with a colleague and corrected her error.

We paid a prime price for a classic king room. What a mistake. The bathroom was huge, but the bedroom was tiny. Who designed this so poorly? The bed was too soft for my comfort. There was a regular pillow and a bolster. I’d prefer two pillows. There was no easy chair or table. A barstool fit under a counter but if someone sat in it, there was no room for the other person to walk by.

Towels were good size and quality. Nice toiletries. A shower but no tub.

We asked the concierge for directions to the restaurant where we had reservations. He directed us to S. 17th St but the restaurant was on S. 19th. We also asked him about a Philly event we had read about. He told us he needed time to search for the information and that he would call us, but we never heard from him.

The location of the hotel was good, but you must climb about six steps to enter. Valet parking was backed up on a busy street. The men at the door were welcoming, but I’m not planning to return.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
EvanGM, General Manager at Le Meridien Philadelphia, responded to this reviewResponded October 26, 2012

Josie,

Thank you for sharing your review. Your comments will help me to ensure we improve our guest experience.

I'm delighted your enjoyed the bath towels and amenities. I will work with our conceirge to understand why he was not able to provide you with the service you expected.

Here are some tips for selecting a room that best suits your desires. The double bedded rooms have tubs and the king rooms have showers. We have many different types of rooms and they are catagorized by size and views. At the top of the list of course are the Suites, followed by Superior, Executive, Deluxe and then Classic. I hope this will be helpful if you choose to return to our hotel.

Evan

Reviewed October 7, 2012

Stayed here as a couple in the summer and really enjoyed the design of the hotel. The inner courtyard is a nice respite in the city (especially on a hot day). The room was very comfortable and quiet. The staff was friendly and helpful. The location is extremely convenient to everything in Center City.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 7, 2012

After New York City, hotel rooms in central Philadelphia can seem unbelievably spacious, if perhaps a little bereft of treats and uncertain whether to add more furniture. This hotel has the advantage of a very short walk to offices in Market Street or JFK. And well, that's about it. I returned from a evening meeting hoping to find somewhere local to eat and realised the business district where it is located lacks anywhere. Arguably only ten minutes away there are fun neighborhood restaurants, but in the concrete jungle nearby, I found just one hole in the wall and the odd panhandler hitting for cash. The hotel lacks character, but that could just be the guests, it felt to me a bit like an airport hotel in feel, despite the brave design decision to put the hotel bar at the entrance where you'd expect to see the reception.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 6, 2012

We stayed here the weekend of the Philadelphia Rock 'n Roll 1/2 Marathon. Great spot- really close to start/finish and race convention. Very relaxing stay in the middle of the city. The lobby and rooms are very modern. The pillows were very comfortable (nice and big as well). Staff is friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: We had a room on the 5th floor and it was the same as the gym & where computer are.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 4, 2012

I really liked Le Meridian. I believe it was formerly a YMCA and they really did a nice job on the decor. The lobby has a modern feel to it and the hotel staff is really friendly and helpful.

The room I stayed in was very large and had 2 double beds. The decor has an "Ikea" feel to it; different from other hotels with cool white bedspreads and shabby sheik lamps. Lots of desk space and a beautiful Armiour containing all the little extras (coffee maker, ice bucket, etc.). The bathroom (for me) was the star of the show; lots of counter space, great lighting, a makeup mirror. Shower was great and all very clean and new.

The location is right in the heart of the city; museums, restaurants, and the convention center are within walking distance.

I would recommend especially if you like a "boutique" style hotel, or are just in the mood for something different.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank theokitty916
Reviewed October 4, 2012

I really like this hotel in terms of look but it wasn't as clean in my room as I had hoped. I arrived here for the Madonna concert and was surprised how great the location was in general for bars and walking. the rooms were smaller than I had anticipated. the building itself however is quite historical and beautiful. I loved the bar right in the lobby and took champagne up to my room. However, at night there was no one in the lobby at the front desk despite repeated calls and 24 hour room service didn't have two meals I requested from the menu despite those being on the overnight menu. However, what irked me was the fact that the bathroom especially the tub was not clean...I mean there was grime on the bathtub floor and I had trepidation about taking a shower. Also, the bed board had food stains that were easily cleaned had room service done their job thoroughly. This was my first overnight stay at a Le meridian but honestly, I now have to reconsider the brand, unless it's the one in Paris. I expected the brand to be a step above its sister brand the Sheraton and it wasn't.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed September 27, 2012

From the moment we walked in the door we loved this place. The staff is all si friendly and helpful. We were in our room and my boyfriend and I both wanted coffee but there wasnt enough creamers or sugar, I called the front desk Nd within minutes there was a knock at the door with the friendliest man holding a bag full of coffee, creamers and sugar! Now that service!! The rooms are huge and clean and the location is wonderful!! I highly recommend this hotel to ANYONE coming to Philly!!

• Stayed: September 2012