“Great hotel, almost perfect”

Le Meridien Philadelphia
Ranked #25 of 86 Hotels in Philadelphia
GreenLeadersGold level
New York City, New York
“Great hotel, almost perfect”
Reviewed October 10, 2011

Stayed here on a recent Friday night. The place was jumping with at least one wedding taking place and maybe another formal affair also. Let's just say there was plenty of eye candy in the house.

This is a very upscale hotel with a hip modern decor. Our room was plenty spacious, beds were comfy and all the essentials were in evidence...well functioning a/c, flat panel tv's with hd channels, heavenly bed, marble bath, etc.

Only complaints are as follows:
- The main entrance is all granite stairs and ponderous doors. You'll want to use the bellhop service for any baggage beyond standard carry-ons.
- The valet parking fee is an outrageous $36 per night. And it took a good hour to retrieve our car on Sat morning. Come on guys, that's just disgraceful. If you want to charge me the princely parking fee, then give me princely service.
- Same complaint about the bar. You're gonna need some serious coin if you want to get drunk here. Not that the booze is anything special, it's just absurdly priced. If you're gonna charge me $15-20 per glass of wine, how about giving me a nice wine. Instead you'll pay for one glass what you could buy the entire bottle for at retail.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (299)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
San Francisco Bay Area
Reviewed October 10, 2011

I only stayed here 1 night and wish I had stayed longer.

The room was quite comfortable, though a touch small and the AC was acting a little weird. The bed was very comfortable, the view was nice, and the room was quiet.

Check In/Out was very efficient, the doorman quite helpful, and the suggestions for dinner and drinks were spot on. service overall was very good. And when I requested a taxi to be there in the morning for my early morning flight, they arranged a towncar for me. It was waiting as promised, it was very comfortable (much nicer than a taxi), and it cost only about $5 more.

The interior is a cool mixture of modern design and the classic nature of the building. Exiting the elevator on the floor you are basically on a curved balcony facing a old brick wall. it was one of the unexpected and cool aspects to this hotel.

I was able to easily walk to where I wanted to go form there - the hotel is close to City Hall and an easy walk to Academy of Fine Arts, JFK Park, the nightlife of Chestnut and Sansom streets, and Rittenhouse Square. The area right by the hotel isn't the best, so be wary - though I never saw anything to be concerned about.

Oh, and I found a AAA special on their website - so I got a really good rate too.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Arlington, Virginia
Reviewed October 10, 2011

Spent one night there. It is a beautiful property--very historic looking building inside and out, yet they have done a great job modernizing the interior. Looks very chic.

The hotel room itself is very modern, and has a lot of high quality finishes. The linens were also very high quality and were very clean. In fact, the entire property was meticulously maintained and very clean.

Didn't try the restaurant or bar, but it looked like people were enjoying themselves.

Valet parking was $38 and takes a long time (20+ minutes).

Connecticut
Reviewed October 9, 2011

The hotel is in a historic building a block north of City Hall that has been handsomely rebuilt inside. It's a study in contrasts: huge windows, high ceilings, gorgeous wood paneling in the lobby and restaurant, and a mellow, brick-lined and sky-lighted atrium in what must once have been an inner courtyard, along with bright, modern, sometimes playful or quirky interior design throughout. Our room was spacious, beautifully equipped, and had a stunning view of City Hall. The furnishings, as advertised, were very modern, but also very comfortable. The bed was just great.

The staff are welcoming and extremely good at their jobs. Every single person greeted us with a smile and went out of their way to help make us comfortable. Breakfast in Amuse Restaurant was a real treat -- great food, and there, too, the service was intelligent, caring, and professional.

I can think of only three things that weren't perfect. The location is a little off the beaten path and can feel lonely at night. It takes the valet a long time to retrieve a parked car. And the bathroom sink dripped aubidly, and tended to splash or spray when used. But none of these will stop be from returning on future trips. This hotel is stylish, friendly, and fun.

Manalapan, New Jersey
Reviewed October 5, 2011

Really love this hotel. The architecture is unusual and has a very upscale feel to it. The service is outstanding and location ideal. This is our first-choice hotel when we travel to Philly.

1 Thank Gloria N
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 1, 2011

On arrival the valet were friendly and continued that way throughout my 3 day solo business stay. Check in was smooth. Room service was great and I do not have anything negative to say about the hotel.

Valet parking was a little steep at $38 per night, but I am not familiar with other hotels in Philadelphia as it was my first time. I do not know if this is standard or high for the area. Considering in LA I pay around $25-30 I thought it was higher than average.

The room was clean and had good decor and ambience. It wasn't the largest of hotel rooms but they used their space well and it did not feel cramped. The bathroom was spacious, it had a shower only which suits me fine.

I had breakfast once in the restaurant and room service once. Room service was perfect. Amazing food, great service, it arrived in 20 minutes. Breakfast in the restaurant wasn't so great. They mixed up my order and then brought the wrong style eggs. I wasn't in a hurry that morning so wasn't a huge problem. They were apologetic and resolved the issue, and also brought some complimentary fruit.

Overall the stay was good, perfect location walking distance to stores Macy's etc, and an efficient valet service. Make sure you call for your car before time if you are in a rush aanther say it can take up to 20 minutes although I always got mine in 10. The hotel also gives you a $10 credit if you go green and do not have maid service that day which is also a bonus.

I loved the outdoors in feel they have in the corridors with the exposed bricks, and they have lovely elevator music. I would stay again.

• Stayed September 2011
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed September 27, 2011

Just spent four nights five days here on a business trip. Very close to the convention center which was really nice. Location for the most part is very good and within walking distance or a short cab ride.

Upon arrival the first day there was staff to open the doors for us. After that, we had to open the doors ourselves. At one point I counted six employees standing outside on the steps or sidewalk and not one opened the door or bothered to say good morning, good afternoon…nothing. This was a huge disappointment considering we paid in excess of $200 a night.

Previous posts make the bar sound like it’s the happening spot. It’s very bland. Very limited seating, but I will admit a nice place to start the night or end it. Bar staff was very helpful in supplying information.

Check in process went smooth. Elevators are very close to the doors, (which you have to open yourself) and the sounds on the elevator are horrible. I prefer not to hear waves of an ocean, some music would be better!

Rooms – I read previous posts about how clean they are. I was very disappointed. There were little fuzz balls etc underneath the closet. The curtains directly across the air vent were filthy and very noticeably dirty considering the curtains are bright red and it was caked with dust!!! – Speaking of air, you can control your own A/C, but 65 degrees with the fan on medium is really about 70. – All the previous posts mention this and it’s true. So if you like it to be comfy, be forewarned, its not.

The bed is soft yes. The sheets and comforter are nice, but the pillows really are not all that. Softer then most hotels, but not luxurious by any means.

Helped myself to a $4.00 orange juice in the refrigerator that sells for about 69 cents at 7-11. Drank half the bottle and realized the expiration date on the bottle was well over a month ago. Advised the front desk and they without question took the $4.00 expense off my bill and told me they would come up to my room and re-stock the orange juice - they never did.

I’m shocked that this hotel doesn’t have I-Pod clocks/docking stations in their rooms. For as modern as this hotel is in décor, it lacks the essentials. Only one bath robe in the bathroom? I guess one must share with their spouse. 3 towels? What happened to 4?

Rooms and hallways are quiet…that I did like.

The literature they put in this folder and place on the bed… little lesson here management – you might want to consider updating the info or at least putting the info on non coffee stained, rippled, torn and worn out paper. Look like some kids homework was chewed up, brought through the wash and set on our bed. – Pretty tacky really…

The wallpaper in the bathroom is hideous. Showers are nice, sink works good, tile is clean. Tried to ask a concierge for info on restaurants but she was gone for two days, and the gal at the desk just moved to Philly, the bartender we asked just came here from jersey, so no one knew anything. Felt like going down the road to another hotel. A shame for when you pay over $200 a night.

Overall, it is a nice hotel, but I think they assumed it runs itself and have failed to maintain the quality that they pride themselves in. I’m somewhat disappointed. I think I would have to consider other near by hotels before I stayed here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view and be specific! - We asked for a view and were given a view of a roof t...