“Comfortable Room, Excellent Service, Trendy Architecture”

Le Meridien Philadelphia
Ranked #24 of 88 Hotels in Philadelphia
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed April 7, 2011

I was in town to do research for a federal brief. A liitle far from the law library, but the room, service and trendy architecture of the hotel was very relaxing. Large screen TV, good water pressure, large bathroom, very comfortable bed. The desk area was a little uncomfortable (instead of a comfortable chair, you are forced to sit on an elevated hard chair, proping you feet on a thin metal bar, was not conducive for doing work in the room). There is a $10.00 per night extra charge for inroom internet connection, which I found odd for a hotel of this quality. Business center had internet (free) and is open 24 hours.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business

Reviewed April 4, 2011

We recently stayed at the Le Meridien Hotel in Philadelphia for just one night. It was wonderful! It has a very modern, contemporary feel but is still very welcoming. When you first walk in you see this hip bar that makes you want to sit down and relax which is what we did :) The rooms were a big on the small side but very comfortable. The bathrooms were very large though. They charge for wireless internet which I don't like but I noticed most hotels in Philadelphia do this.

Reviewed March 28, 2011

I attended the 58th AORN Congress at the Philadelphia Convention Center 1 block away from this hotel. This was the first time I have stayed at Le Meridien in Philadelphia and loved this hotel. As a Starwood Member I requested and was given a room on the 10th floor with a great view. The room was spacious, airy and the bed was probably one of the best I`ve slept on. The bathroom was nicely appointed and extremely clean.
All the staff I met at the front desk, at the restaurant Amuse, and the bar were all great and very helpful. The food was amazing - the Halibut, chicken, beef - all amazing - great chef on staff. Housekeeping did a great job on the rooms and I earned an extra 1500 points when I went "green" 3 days out of my 7day stay. I would definitely stay there again and I recommend it highly to my friends and family.
The 4 star on the location was the fact that this hotel is next door to a court house so a few unsavory characters around during the day. The doorman`s present helped with this and I never felt unsafe at all during my stay.

Reviewed March 27, 2011

This was my first stay at this property: we had a quick visit in Philly. The hotel is clean, the staff is helpfull and the rooms are neat. I will stay here again when visiting Philadelphia.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 22, 2011

Having the bar be the first thing you see when the front doors open for you is bizarre. It should not be necessary for an employee to guide you to front desk that is tucked around a corner. There is a reason it is called the front desk. After being stuck riding the elevator to the fifth floor twice another guest informed us that it is necessary to insert key card to get to eighth floor (something the front desk person neglected to mention). No vending machines just typical overpriced mini bar. Room awkwardly set up. Foot of bed should face television. Large gap under door to hallway so you can see shadows of all the foot traffic passing (yay us we were by the elevator) which was highlighted by the 30 plus high school band members staying on our floor. The same band that the hotel staff and chaperones?(never saw any) allowed to loiter with their instruments and completely block the lobby only to get dirty looks because we had to bother them and ask to get by. 3 times tried to get to our room and 3 times couldn't because the entire band was waiting to use the only 3 elevators. 2 of which never seemed to really run. Had to use hotel's downstairs restrooms which needed instructions on closing "stall" doors that were broken anyway. Don't ask for walking directions from the front desk with the off chance that you will get the employee that sent us the wrong way to the museum of art. Walking over an hour and a half for what should have taken 20 minutes is not my idea of vacation. Glad I got a deal and didn't pay full price although they charged me as such in error. Great in room bathroom and bed but not worth our experience and price.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 21, 2011

Normally I'm a Marriott Rewards type of guy, OK, so now you know where I'm coming from. Normally when I travel, the accomodation is not THAT important, because usually I'm 'out all day' (e.g. traipsing around a National Park) and the room is merely a place to freshen-up and, yes, to flop.
Whoah! Having stayed (4 nights) at Le Meridien, I may have to completely re-think this!
First the location - right next to City Hall, and thus, in the 'hub' of this very friendly city. So, whether you are in Philly on business or to re-live history, the location is perfect.
The doormen literally welcome you in (double non-revolving doors) and not once did I see them, or ANY staffmember, for that matter, on their cell-phones 'killing time'. (As one who works in NYC, that's a pretty common sight.) As you walk thru' the magenta-colored glass inner-doors, Registration is in its own area to your left and the meeting area straight ahead. In most hotels, you walk PAST (and often THROUGH) the people (with baggage) as you proceed 'front' to 'back', but with Le Meridien, the Registration area is off to one side and is thus 'nicely isolated'. Upon entering the hotel proper, what you'll quickly notice is the constant 'earth music' and 'earth sounds' emmanating from (hidden) speakers. Coming from the hustle-and-bustle of 'the city' it, initially, seems out of place, but after a while it (subliminally) encourages a mood-swing whereby you DO 'switch off' from what is going on 'outside'. This 'mood music' is even heard in the elevator(s) which are quick to operate and 'responsive' to user demands. (Nice!)
The room I lived in (4 nights) was spotless and actually had an air of being recently furbished. There were NO signs of any dingi-ness / cutting-back or slip-shod ad-hoc repairs. The closet space (which also contained a combination-lock safe, a mini-bar, iron and ironing board, hair-dryer etc.) was more than adequate for hanging clothes, etc.
Flat-screen TV and WIFI internet access was flawless. There were more pillows than you could shake a stick at! Room temperature was user-definable via an LCD wall-display which allowed a min. of 65 and a max into the mid-70's (deg. F.)
There was no bath, but the shower facilities were top-notch and the 'bathroom' itself (sink / shower / toilet) ' was VERY roomy indeed. Individually-sealed soap-bars and the most pleasantly aromatic shower-gels were abundant.
Room service (I had evening meals and breakfasts) was ON-TIME, cooked as ordered and HOT. *The coffee they serve (Illy) is absolutely wonderful*.
The acoustics in the room/hallway are really very good. Not once was I 'disturbed' as folk made their way to/from their rooms/elevator area (just like Reception, the elevator 'banks' are also in their own secluded area that you walk around a 'corner' to.)

For an 'outdoor' evening meal -- try Tir Na Nog just across the block (I did) -- and if you need 'supplies' then as you exit the hotel, turn right and head down Arch St. where there's a WaWa (about 10 min. walk).

As per the subject line: upscale (without the sticker shock) ...indeed.

Gerry Murray
New York

1  Thank oibal60
Reviewed March 17, 2011

Quick weekend in Philadelphia and had great service. We checked in Friday night and upgraded to a lovely suite with floor-to-ceiling windows and great views of City Hall and the city skyline. Very comfortable bed and the room had plush amenities. Love the classic features since the property was a converted YMCA. Two things, though: first, the mini-fridge was so overloaded with stocked items we couldn't put anything of our own (water, food, etc.) into it! Second, we had room service and while we ordered quite late on Friday night it was rather expensive and appeared as if it had been cooked earlier and reheated (while quoted at 30 minutes, it took almost 40). Beyond that, great stay - would recommend it! Very central location within close proximity to subway/trolley/commuter lines, and on a nice weekend, great walking distance to Rittenhouse Square shops and restaurants as well as the Reading Terminal Market and Convention Center.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple