“Interesting but not thrilling”

Independence National Historical Park
Book In Advance
More Info
$19.00*
and up
Constitutional Walking Tour of Philadelphia
Ranked #6 of 463 things to do in Philadelphia
More attraction details
Owner description: One of the most famous square miles in the United States, the park is home to the Liberty Bell, the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier and Independence Hall.
Reviewed March 17, 2013

We took a short tour of Independence Hall and the Liberty Bell. If it's on your way to something else, it's okay but I wouldn't drive out of my way for a tour.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,260)

Reviewed March 14, 2013

You would know all the reasons to see Independence Hall and the Liberty Bell. Be aware that you have to pick up free tickets to get in Independence Hall. (Liberty Bell is OK - just walk in) We drove 3 hours to get there, looked for parking for an hour, and arrived at 3:15 PM which was too late to get inside Independence Hall on a Saturday. FYI. We didn't expect to be turned away after our efforts to arrive there.

Reviewed March 14, 2013

Literally just amazing. All of our history starts here. The tour guides are very educated and eager to tell you all about it. They answered many questions I had- and if they weren't sure of something, they usually asked another guide and they knew the answers. Exciting and a little humbling. Definitely worth it :)

Reviewed March 13, 2013

This is the Home of the Liberty Bell Center (see separate listing by Trip Advisor).

I first visited the Liberty Bell in September 2011 (see my review dated September 26, 2011under the Liberty Bell Heading), but stopped here again on this trip to Philly. It is definitely worth re-visiting. I was fortunate that the weather was pretty good for March. I stopped by late in the afternoon on Friday -- no crowds and no waiting. I was able to walk right in (no lines for security even) and go directly to see the Bell. For once there was no one clustered around the Bell, it was great to view and contemplate this historic treasure without people talking, taking photos, etc.

Everyone should visit the Liberty Bell at least once, but preferably go back again. Seeing the Liberty Bell is one of those Must Do's in Life. Definitely worth it. The thing that amazed me the most was how close you could actually get to it! Incredibly up close!

As I noted the first time I saw it, the Bell is actually smaller than I envisioned it. From top to bottom, it is only about 3 feet tall and about 6 feet wide at the widest point. Although everyone crowds around for a photo op, you should spend more time walking through the museum area that provides a lot of interesting background information, but could include more about the Colonial American period and less focus on "being politically correct".

Usually there are long lines, but this time I was fortunate to visit without the normal crowds. This is a MUST DO if ever you get to Philly.

2  Thank CynthiafromOhio2011
Reviewed March 11, 2013

What a wonderful historic place to visit. The park ranger that gave us the tour was great -she certainly enjoys her job which made our tour pleasant and informative. We were also lucky enough to have gotten to tour the upstairs of the building during our visit.

1  Thank HoustonTravelFolks