“Incredible, Delicious Vegetarian Food - OK Service” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of MiLah Vegetarian Restaurant - CLOSED

MiLah Vegetarian Restaurant
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: City Center West
Cross street: 16th Street between Walnut and Locust
Transit: SEPTA and PATCO.
Description: Mi Lah Vegetarian opened its door in October 2008 and proudly serves local, seasonal vegetables, forward vegetarian and vegan food. "Mi Lah" originates from the Indian Buddhist (Maitreya) word that denotes nature, harmony, happiness, kindness, and mercy and we strive to embody these principles through our work. We aim to fill the need for healthy, whole and delicious vegetarian cuisine in our neighbourhood as well as to be a friendly and active members of our community. Our menu features fruits and vegetables from local farms instead of heavy sauce and substitutions. We use the finest and freshest ingredients to offer an international array of dishes fit to impress the most sophisticated vegetarian palate.
New Hope, Pennsylvania
“Incredible, Delicious Vegetarian Food - OK Service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2012

Because we had plenty of time on a rainy Sunday we did not mind that the service was somewhat average and fairly slow. It was really not bad at all, it just not on par with the delicious and amazing food. The place was quite busy and that must have been because the reputation that the food is awesome! I am a huge food critic and I have to say that everything was wonderful: taste, temperature, presentation, quality and quantity. In fact, there was just slightly too much food and we had to take some to-go. The "advertised" complimentary fruit plate was not offered but it really wasn't needed. I had the Spanish Breakfast and it was delicious and memorable!
I should have taken pictures. I will return and will recommend.

• Visited April 2012

Philadelphia
“Nice private table upstairs, BYOB, food was so-so”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2012

Recently 10 of us went here for dinner. We walked in at about 8pm on a Friday, and there was NO ONE in the restaurant. This is a bad sign, but we proceeded. We were seated on the second floor and had the entire room to ourselves. This was really nice, though early on in the meal it almost seemed like they forgot about us. However, as we ate, the waitress was very nice and very attentive, decent enough service.

One thing I really liked about this place was the fact that it was BYOB. They had some wine glasses set up and would cork the bottles, this is certainly a plus. I drink beer, so I had a nice bottle that I had just picked up - unfortunately I drank it out of a wine glass, but that's neither here nor there. I am sure they would have given me a normal glass if I asked.

Now on to the food: overall - okish. I had ordered the butternut squash soup which was excellent. It had a nice smooth texture and excellent flavor. I also ordered the Seared African Sweet Potato Patties with Cabbage and Crushed Peanuts Salad as my meal. I figured soup and appetizer.... that was my mistake. The patties had a nice flavor, and the cabbage salad was good. The entrees were much more substantial. My partner did not make out so well. He ordered the Pan Seared Seitan Zucchini Patties with Steamed Vegetables and Mashed Potatoes. It was - well it was kind of mushy-chewy-slimy. Also it came topped with some type of a hollandaise sauce which was not listed on the menu. Having an extreme fear of anything that may even possibly contain mayo (like hollandaise) meant that as soon as the plate was put down on the table, he was not going to be eating it. I wish they had mentioned that on the menu, he could have 86'd it or ordered something else ...but what can you do. We did not have dessert so I cannot speak to the choices. Some of the people at our table really enjoyed their meals. The Traditional Tofu Pad Thai with Fresh Vegetables and Crushed Peanuts was tasty, and much more significant of a portion that the other plates.

Overall would I go back? Eh. If someone was really into having dinner there I would certainly go again. I would know to order the pad thai and bring my own beer glass.

Would I recommend this place to someone? Eh. I think there are a lot of wonderful places to eat in Philly. This one just didn't do it for me, but I guess some people would be more appreciative than I was. Everything on the menu can be made vegan and there are even some gluten free options.

• Visited March 2012
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Very good food, very affordable, okay service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2012

The food at this restaurant was amazing! I loved how they put things together to seem like other dishes. And the taste of almost everything I had was amazing. Both soups were fabulous! The zucchini cakes had an odd flavor to them - almost like there was a baking spice (i.e. nutmeg) in them. The service left a lot to be desired. I had to walk downstairs to get them to take our order, and we had to ask for refills on water. Its a good thing it was so affordable, or I would have been a bit more upset about it!

• Visited March 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
NJ
“GREAT food and GREAT prices. Amazing brunch.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2012

This place is amazing. Went there for the Sunday brunch. The food was delicious – and reasonably priced. Highly recommended! Go. Now.

I tried the Tofu Benedict, French toast, and seitan and waffles – all great.

Service was friendly, and they have two floors of tables.

• Visited February 2012
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
“Excellent brunch!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2012

We've eaten here for both dinner and brunch. Dinner is very good, but the brunch is amazing. While we made reservations for both times, it seemed we only needed them for dinner. The staff is friendly and the service is quick.

Visited January 2012