“Now I understand the hoopla”
Review of John's Roast Pork

John's Roast Pork
Ranked #35 of 4,405 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Cuisines: Barbecue
Neighborhood: Bella Vista / Queen Village
Neighborhood: Bella Vista / Queen Village
Atlanta, Georgia
“Now I understand the hoopla”
Reviewed July 26, 2014

When I visited Philadelphia the first time, I was taken to Geno's for a cheesesteak. I let my friend order for me, as she was a native here and I figured she'd know best. I was underwhelmed. They smothered it in what seemed like Velveeta instead of real cheese. I really didn't understand why people were gaga over this kind of sandwich, other than sentimentality which, not being a native, I lacked.

This trip, I asked a different friend where to eat and she sent me to John's Roast Pork. I ordered the cheesesteak with onions and sharp provolone. NOW I UNDERSTAND THE HOOPLA!!! This sandwich was SO good! On a fresh sesame seed hoagie roll, the meat was of quality and tender and the cheese was top notch, too.

I also took their signature sandwich - the roast pork - with me for supper, but the sandwiches were so large that I made two meals out of the cheesesteak, and two more out of the pork. I spent a total of $18 and change, for one large sandwich, one small sandwich, that made four meals. That's a DEAL.

It was clear I was a tourist, but the staff didn't treat me harshly; in fact, they were downright pleasant. I thanked the woman (owner?) for her patience, and she assured me I was fine.

The place has been there since ... 1931? And still a family business, same location. I wasn't sure where I was going, but it's really not far from most of the stuff I was doing anyway (point of reference = 1.3 miles from Termini's original location on S. 8th St). There was a long line, but the wait wasn't long. Clearly they have their system down to accommodate such crowds.

I'd eat here again, and happily recommend it to others.

• Visited July 2014

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“forget the big 3(tony lukes pats and genos)”
Reviewed July 23, 2014

best cheesesteak in philly, also has amazing roast pork. The Milano is the best thing they have (and one of the best sandwiches I have ever had).

• Visited November 2013
Bethesda, Maryland
“Incredible”
Reviewed July 23, 2014

Absolutely deserving James Beard Award recipient, this cinder block bunker near the Philly waterfront is fabulous. They are only open limited hours Monday through Saturday but you have to make the pilgramage. There is usually a line, populated by every profession you can imagine but it is quickly dispatched by the great staff who have been there for years. The steak sandwiches are the best it the world, among the options choose sharp provolone with grilled onions. The bakery rolls are superb. Your only problem will be what to order, the roast pork is about as good as the steaks and they have just added a super roast beef sandwich as well. The menu covers all of the the sandwich options you would want for breakfast or lunch. There are picnic tables outside or you cancarry out. Just don't miss it.

• Visited July 2014
“First time great food”
Reviewed June 26, 2014

Had the large pork with sharp cheese and spinach. Pork was cooked perfect and that sharp cheese just put it over the top. Gooood!

Visited June 2014
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
“An absolute must !”
Reviewed June 18, 2014

This place is nothing to look at and is basically a jacked up luncheonette. You are not going here for the ambiance or people watching but the food.

They have a whole lot of items but DO NOT deviate from the plan...large roast pork with aged provolone. I had theirs' with spinach but prefer Philly pork sandos with rapini like served at DiNic's in the Reading Terminal Market, both places are outstanding but I wanted to give John's a try and glad I did.

However, DiNic's is centrally located in town and walkable. John's was a $20 cab ride both ways from the museum district but if you are in the area then John's is the hot tip, if in center city, DiNic's is your joint.

Visited June 2014